Thinkware F800 PRO Video Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys got a review of the Thinkware F800 PRO review. This was sent to me for review by @BlackboxMyCar so I would like to thank them for sending it out.

I recently reviewed the standard F800 which I will also link below. Both models feature 1080p front and rear (and as usual with thinkware, you can buy just the front camera and buy the rear later if you want) with Sony Starvis image sensors front and rear also. Standard features that anyone familiar with thinkware is here such as WiFi and a smart phone app to change the settings (no LCD screen here), built in GPS, audio alerts and a sleek wedge design.

Here a list of specs to compare the standard vs. pro model:

comparison.jpg

As you can see, the Pro offers 128gb card support which I think is great but should be standard for the non pro version also. Even the $200 Blackvue DR490-2CH offers 128gb card support.

The pro also has the energy saver mode which is basically their standard parking mode but without buffered recording. So for example if you are just using impact detection with energy save mode active, if someone impacts your car it wakes up and it starts recording within a second. It supposedly offers 3x longer recording with 1/3rd less battery consumption.

And of course the big feature is the cloud. This cloud feature is pretty limited right now, but if you have a hotspot in your car you can get impact notifications (while driving), set a geo fence to notify you if your car leaves an area, and locate cars on a google map. this is pretty limited and seems to only be useful for fleet managers or paranoid parents. When doing the review I did not realize you can't get impact notifications while in parking mode, only while the car is driving which is not useful for me. I would like to see parking mode notifications.

Overall the video quality between this and the DR750S-2CH is a toss up, the DR750S seems to have better clarity at close distance for reading signs or license plates likely due to the 60 fps in the front cam. But it seems out of focus lenses is still common and my experience made other cameras better at reading certain signs or plates at a further distance. I know I am not the only one that has experienced that issue. The F800 Pro night quality does look better than the DR750 but it doesn't seem to give it any advantage in reading plates of cars.

Overall due to the form factor and few features such as being able to set parking priority for the memory card partitioning makes me prefer the F800 Pro over the DR750S but if you want cloud support or really need that tiny edge at reading some signs or plates at a close distance (which is virtually negligible still) the Blackvue is for sure the way to go.

I also prefer the way Thinkware uses direct hardwire connections, with the voltage cut off and timer settings in the app as opposed to dip switches of the DR750.

Check out the video review:

F800 Standard Review:

So the difference between pro and not pro are the cloud thing ?
And 127Gb support, which i dont get why its not there in the regular model, pretty sure its just left out.
Then i know what one i would get for sure.

Hi there,
I was wondering if you can you fine tune the focus on F800 Pro ?

They are fixed focus, if the focus was out you'd have to open the camera and break the seal on the lens to adjust it
Thanks for your reply.
Just to be clear, did you use the term "fixed focus" as a figure of speech and if so can you confirm that if I accept the consequences of opening the camera, then I can readjust the focus if incorrectly set by the manufacturer.
Alternatively, in the photography/ video world the term "fixed focus" is used for lenses where the focus can not be adjusted as it is meant to provide perfect focus from min distance to infinity.

Thanks for your reply.
Just to be clear, did you use the term "fixed focus" as a figure of speech and if so can you confirm that if I accept the consequences of opening the camera, then I can readjust the focus if incorrectly set by the manufacturer.
Alternatively, in the photography/ video world the term "fixed focus" is used for lenses where the focus can not be adjusted as it is meant to provide perfect focus from min distance to infinity.

yes it's a fixed focus lens, the correct adjustment is subject to human error though so it can sometimes be improved by adjusting it yourself, having to do this is usually reserved for cheap unbranded products with no support, for this type of product you really should take it back and get it replaced

Just purchased and installed the Pro 800 over the Blackvue 750
I have used Blackvue cams for many years and apart from a few and far between issues have always found them to be reliable.
I love the notifications and live cloud view as I can watch over my kids driving. I know exactly where he is at any time parked or moving, It gives over speed warnings, Impact warnings, Impact when parked warnings and a host of other notifications.

This time I opted for the Thinkware Pro 800 based on various reviews, seemed like a sold performer when judged against the Blackvue and I liked the form factor, however on hind sight I made a mistake, this camera is way behind in technology compared to the even last years model Blackvue 650.

No live view, No speed warning No mpact when parked warning all it does it tell you where it is (When moving) and if it has be impacted (when moving) and geo fencing when moving
The Pro retails for $60+/- more than the blackvue with less features.

Personally I made a huge mistake but it was my fault should have look more closely at not what the Pro800 can do but morso what it cant do.

IMHO the Blackvue out performs the Thinkware period!
If I could I would uninstall the Pro and purchase a 750 instead but now the money is spent

Just purchased and installed the Pro 800 over the Blackvue 750
I have used Blackvue cams for many years and apart from a few and far between issues have always found them to be reliable.
I love the notifications and live cloud view as I can watch over my kids driving. I know exactly where he is at any time parked or moving, It gives over speed warnings, Impact warnings, Impact when parked warnings and a host of other notifications.

This time I opted for the Thinkware Pro 800 based on various reviews, seemed like a sold performer when judged against the Blackvue and I liked the form factor, however on hind sight I made a mistake, this camera is way behind in technology compared to the even last years model Blackvue 650.

No live view, No speed warning No mpact when parked warning all it does it tell you where it is (When moving) and if it has be impacted (when moving) and geo fencing when moving
The Pro retails for $60+/- more than the blackvue with less features.

Personally I made a huge mistake but it was my fault should have look more closely at not what the Pro800 can do but morso what it cant do.

IMHO the Blackvue out performs the Thinkware period!
If I could I would uninstall the Pro and purchase a 750 instead but now the money is spent
if it is that big of a deal I would sell it on ebay and buy the 750.

if i wanted cloud features i would for sure use the 750, but i don't want to pay more money monthly to have a hotspot in my truck. i only really care about getting impact notifications while I am parked which means a hot spot thats always on.

i prefer the way thinkware hardwires though. i use the cellink battery b which has no timer which means blackvue cams just keep running forever. i also like that thinkware cams have power buttons, so when i get home and park in my garage i typically turn the cam off to save battery. that might be an extra step most people wouldn't want to take. some people say just unplug the camera, but that means i have to remember to plug it back in next time i drive and i know i will forget often. with the power button, it still turns back on next time i start my truck. some cams have power switches with on/off positions which i don't like for that same reason, you have to remember to turn it back on. I live in MN so the cold can be hard on batteries. it was -9 Fahrenheit/-23 Celsius this morning.

but for me, the lack of a power button, and no built in timer/voltage protection (the power magic pro could maybe be wired into the 3 wire version of the cellink battery b tho) makes the blackvue not my preferred camera system.

the 750S is very tempting still though due to its far superior cloud feature and 60fps front.

I agree regarding the BV and the always on issue.
I had the 300, 650 and 750 even at the lowest motion detection (1) looking at the video I would have 8 hours of the car park in my driveway.
The Power magic is a non starter as it does not work well in a Tesla and I also had issues in the kids cars (Honda Civics)

As for yanking the Pro 800 it took a lot of work to install it in my car and I hate to pull it all out after a month of use.
For now I will just live with it in my car but go back to a BV 650 or 750 for the kids.

I find Dash Cam Talk has so good suggestions it is just figuring out what you want and settling for 90% of what you want in a cam and makes for good reading in the office.

I agree regarding the BV and the always on issue.
I had the 300, 650 and 750 even at the lowest motion detection (1) looking at the video I would have 8 hours of the car park in my driveway.
The Power magic is a non starter as it does not work well in a Tesla and I also had issues in the kids cars (Honda Civics)

As for yanking the Pro 800 it took a lot of work to install it in my car and I hate to pull it all out after a month of use.
For now I will just live with it in my car but go back to a BV 650 or 750 for the kids.

I find Dash Cam Talk has so good suggestions it is just figuring out what you want and settling for 90% of what you want in a cam and makes for good reading in the office.
I really don't need all those features, I just need something that would read license plates and parking mode since I love in NY: got my old car hit twice while parked.

Would the pro 800 be good or something else?

The Thinkware and Blackvue are close enough in video quality that ether one will work in terms of video quality, that said if the cloud features are not a big issue I would go for the Thinkware.

Back