Thinkware MP4 files do not have speed nor lat/long.

RickieK

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It is extremely annoying that the MP4 files saved by Thinkware, e.g. on my F200, do not have speed and latitude/longitode at the bottom of the movie.
I do not want the ugly PC app take up half of the screen while watching.
Is there a way to get speed and latitude/longitude into the MP4?
Is there a waay to export the movie from the PC app including speed etc to a new MP4 file?

Not familiar with this brand / model, but i would assume when you choose in the settings to watermark time/date / speed and what not, it was a global setting for any file container the camera might be able to use.

The GPS data is not visible in the video, but it appended to the end of the MP4 file data. This data is viewable on a map using the Thinkware Viewer, or you can extract the GPS data yourself to view in the mapping program of your choice. Even though we're used to seeing it as text at the bottom of the video frame, it's actually the least useful way to present the data. Having it as a separate data stream at the end of the file makes it a lot easier to ingest/display for other programs.

I was able to extract the GPS data into GPX files using ExifTool and the GPX format file.
The command line to extract the GPS data looks like this (credit goes to this forum post):
Code:
exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee3 REC_2022_09_06_11_56_26_F.MP4 > REC_2022_09_06_11_56_26_F.gpx
Great!
I will try that!

Thanx a lot!

Back