Thinkware Q800 Pro

Fairynuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800 Pro
I bought this cam from Chameleon a few weeks back and since then I have emailed them and Thinkware UK and Thinkware USA asking for hard-wire instructions / installation guide and the response I have has been abysmal. I expected the cam to arrive with wiring instructions in the box, it did not; I expected Thinkware UK to have this readily available, what they sent me was unusable; I expected Chameleon (the supplier) to have this and today after two emails and a phone call I got a single sheet (below). I was told I am the only person to ever ask for this! You will see it tells me that B+ is to go to continuous power etc but it doesn't tell me what colour wire is B+. I know there's a plethora of youtube clips but I think it's a disgrace that this is sold on the expectation that there will be no DIY installations - disgraceful!

What was you hoping for ?

The 3 wire approach are pretty normal for many dashcams, 2 plus wires one have to be on a always live circuit, and the other on a ACC circuit that only become live when you start the car.
And then the shared negative ( ground ) wire.
If you was hoping to get specific advise on exactly what fuse to go for in you car, you are out of luck no one can do that kind of service, at best a educated guess in the best of cases.

And it do not matter if you get the two + wires mixed up, if it is wrong wired the camera will never turn off as the ACC wire are then on the always live circuit.
And in that case you of course have to swap the 2 wires.
There are also a "standard" as to the shielding, but i cant personally recall how it go

Normally the wires are marked with a label.

Street guardian it seem have the yellow wire as the battery ( always on )
SGX2HW-1.jpg

What was you hoping for ?
Thanks - of course I wasn't expecting them to tell me which fuse in my car, as I said, I expected as a minimum, a clear, unambiguous set of instructions and what I got was no instructions and an expectation that I would pay someone to install it.

It do sound like Thinkware are not that focused on customer care, i cant believe those wires was not marked, sure most know red is + and black is -, but in this case its a matter of what kind of + are the red and yellow wires.
What you have gotten seem to me to be what you would get from a dozen of no name or exotic named dashcams from China, and not a major player.

Hm - Thinkware hardwire kits (in North America) are definitely labelled ACC/BATT/GRND

I got the cam up and running and all is well. I opted for a single front cam. It came with a 16gb micro SD card which is ludicrously small space and is overwriting everything after about 90 minutes. I believe that it's not simply a matter of buying any (the cheapest) 64gb / 128gb card but what features do I need to look for to ensure it will do the job?

Also . . . . . I've downloaded the app to my (Samsung) phone and I can download files from the cam to the phone but I can't find them on the phone - where (which directory/folder) are the files stored on my phone?

Also . . . . . I've downloaded the app to my (Samsung) phone and I can download files from the cam to the phone but I can't find them on the phone - where (which directory/folder) are the files stored on my phone?
Hello There! We are sorry to hear that your experience with the UK Support Team was not up to par. We'd be happy to provide you with Hardwiring Instructions via email! The Downloaded files will be in an Album (in your camera roll) labelled Thinkware.

Back