Thinkware Q800PRO - WiFi Connection To Smartphone.

JagManDave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had this fitted to my new Jaguar F-Pace, and installed the Thinkware App on my Smartphone, so all seems good.

The question I ask is - Do you have to activate the Dash Cam Wifi connection (by pressing the Wifi button on the dash cam), to the Smartphone every time you enter the vehicle or once activated, does it remain 'active' by default?.

Yes, Cam needs to be out of parking mode(Ignition on) and you need to press the Wifi button.

Just had this fitted to my new Jaguar F-Pace, and installed the Thinkware App on my Smartphone, so all seems good.

The question I ask is - Do you have to activate the Dash Cam Wifi connection (by pressing the Wifi button on the dash cam), to the Smartphone every time you enter the vehicle or once activated, does it remain 'active' by default?.

Do you need to connect the phone every time you enter the vehicle, or are you just asking because it’s new and you’re still frequently reviewing video and changing settings?
In normal operation the phone would not be connected to the camera and if you were using the cloud features then the camera would be connecting to the hotspot you specified during initial setup (I believe your Jaguar would have a hotspot built in to your car). This camera to car hotspot link is how the data from the camera gets out to their cloud servers to power all of those cloud features.

Thanks for the information. I was following the 'prompts' from the Dash Cam when I switch the ignition on, which asks me to connect to my phone via Wifi. I had assumed ( correctly or incorrectly) that I would only need to connect my phone to Wifi, if I wanted to view video, camera views, live views, or download 'stuff' from the Micro SD card etc on my phone - is this correct?

I have reviewed all the settings on the 'Thinkware' app, and selected those I feel I want.

As the Dash Cam was installed as an after sales item, I did not request 'Jaguar' to activate the 'Hotspot' when I purchased the vehicle, and when prompted by the 'Thinkware' app, on my phone, I only opted to connect by Wifi, - would it be more efficient to activate the connection via the vehicle 'Hotspot'?

This is a somewhat longer explanation than I wanted to make, and I do not want to take up any more of your time, but my main concern is to be absolutely clear on when I should look to connecting my phone to the dash cam or 'Cloud', and for what reasons (such as updating 'Firmwear' I guess).

The camera (by default) want to connect to a WiFi hotspot so that it can send data to the cloud. The voice prompt you get when starting up the car is because the camera has not been configured yet to know what WiFi hotspot to look for. In essence it believes that you have not completed the initial setup, so it is prompting you to connect your phone to finish those settings.

If you do not want to use the cloud features or do not have a hotspot that it can connect to then you can silence that prompt.
You may also be able to configure your home WiFi as the one the camera looks for, in which case it would only connect when you were at home (assuming your WiFi range can reach your parking location)

As i couldn't use a hotspot yet i just connected the Cam to a "dummy" non existant hotspot. Simply enter SSID and whatever password you like and you won't get any message when starting to drive.

As i couldn't use a hotspot yet i just connected the Cam to a "dummy" non existant hotspot. Simply enter SSID and whatever password you like and you won't get any message when starting to drive.
Just an update. Looks like the problems I was experiancing were mainly due to the fact that shortly after I downloaded the 'Thinkware' Cloud app, (and it was working on my Huawei 560-L1 phone), they did an update, and guess what, the Huawei is no longer compatable with the app. No big deal really, as I was about to upgrade my phone anyway, so now with the new phone ( Oppo A9 2020 ), all is well.

Back