Thinkware SD Cards advertising 'SPOR'

tsincaat

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I notice the Thinkware SD cards mention a feature, 'SPOR' for 'Sudden Power Off Recovery'. Does anyone know if this is just marketing bull****, or functionality that is missing from other micro SD cards? One of the reasons I decided to purchase a Thinkware dashcam was due to the capacitor technology that might be more reliable than an aging battery in the case of a bad accident, so I wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot by making the SD card the point of failure.

I was planning on getting an SD card like the Sandisk Extreme 64-GB MicroSDXC, so I'm not really skimping, but the Thinkware 64 GB is a fair bit above that as far as cost.

I'd avoid most Sandisk models, not ideal for dashcam use, their high endurance cards though are suitable

tsincaat, because I don't drive my car every day and I keep it in my garage which is integral to my house, I often power it down so that it doesn't go into parking mode (or power it down after it has) in order to avoid unnecessary draining of the battery. Due to its mounting location it is easiest for me to do this by simply pulling the power plug. It always has a controlled shutdown and I have not seen any problems as a result of this (yet?) - even though I have a Sandisk SD card!

For Thinkware I would recommend going with Lexar instead of Sandisk, price is about the same.
Haven't tested this SPOR thing myself but I wonder if other cards have this feature.

Appreciate the suggestions on the brand of card to get.

The trouble with SD cards is that it is not possible to be 100% sure about them. For example I bought a Lexar card from a 'reputable' shop and it turned out to be a fake. I always test my SD cards with h2testw.

The trouble with SD cards is that it is not possible to be 100% sure about them. For example I bought a Lexar card from a 'reputable' shop and it turned out to be a fake. I always test my SD cards with h2testw.

Simple way to get non-fake SD cards is to buy them at Best Buy, Costco, etc

I bought a LEXAR 633x that turned out to be a fake, got my money back eventually but thought for a bit extra just get thinkware guaranteed to work card, only buying it once so a few £/$ extra over period of time money well spent for peace of mind!!

Back