Thinkware Turns Off

Adplaya

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 6 month old Thinkware F750 with a genuine Thinkware SD card. Recently the dashcam starts up lights blinking, start up chime, and then beeps once and turns off. I attempted formatting the card, and even updating, but this has led to "Need to format the SD card" errors now. AND THEN the dash cam beeps once and turns off....

I have a 750 in another car and it has worked flawlessly for over a year... Actually never seen anyone post about this issue either.

Did you try swapping the SD card with your other camera?

Yup. My other camera uses a genuine 32gb thinkware SD, and when interested into the broken camera it just shuts itself off after starting up perfectly and a single beep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds a bit like a power issue to me, can you swap the whole camera over from one vehicle to the other and see if the fault follows the camera or the vehicle?

That sounds similar to what mine had happen to it. I'd contact Thinkware's tech support, they're pretty helpful. They had me try a few things, when they didn't work, I sent mine back to them, and they sent me a replacement.

Since you're still under the 1 year warranty, you shouldn't have to pay to ship it back to them either.

I have a 6 month old Thinkware F750 with a genuine Thinkware SD card. Recently the dashcam starts up lights blinking, start up chime, and then beeps once and turns off. I attempted formatting the card, and even updating, but this has led to "Need to format the SD card" errors now. AND THEN the dash cam beeps once and turns off....

I have a 750 in another car and it has worked flawlessly for over a year... Actually never seen anyone post about this issue either.
all thinkware f750 or f770 not working over 42 degrees

all thinkware f750 or f770 not working over 32 degrees

I don't have the exact figure for Temperature shut down but i think it far higher than 32 degrees! I have barely been able to touch my F770 in our summer when it was about 35 degrees outside and the camera was still working fine.

It is working without any issue here in UAE in a temperature more than 45 degree outside the car, further more one day I forgot to turn it off and it kept working in parking mode for 3 days in this temperature.

Last edited:

I know this thread is pretty old but my F750 just started doing exactly the same thing yours was doing. Did you ever get a resolution?

I know this thread is pretty old but my F750 just started doing exactly the same thing yours was doing. Did you ever get a resolution?
My just started doing the same. are there any solutions to this behavior?

My just started doing the same. are there any solutions to this behavior?

After 15 months of purchasing my X550 dashcam it also started shut down after a few seconds to a minute of starting it up. I tried replacing the SD card and doing a software update downloaded from the thinkware website but none of these solutions worked. I contacted Thinkware technical team who were useless. All they could say was that as it has passed it's 12 months warranty they can not exchange it and they do not have an after sells repairs centre. I bought a new X550 and it did exactly the same thing using the old power adaptor I was using with my old camera. Once I used the new power adaptor that came with the new dashcam both my old dashcam and the new one worked fine so I've sent the new dashcam back and purchased a new power adaptor instead for £20. Works perfect. Hope this helps and works for others.

After 15 months of purchasing my X550 dashcam it also started shut down after a few seconds to a minute of starting it up. I tried replacing the SD card and doing a software update downloaded from the thinkware website but none of these solutions worked. I contacted Thinkware technical team who were useless. All they could say was that as it has passed it's 12 months warranty they can not exchange it and they do not have an after sells repairs centre. I bought a new X550 and it did exactly the same thing using the old power adaptor I was using with my old camera. Once I used the new power adaptor that came with the new dashcam both my old dashcam and the new one worked fine so I've sent the new dashcam back and purchased a new power adaptor instead for £20. Works perfect. Hope this helps and works for others.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Was your 12V cigarette adapter loose at all? If you unscrew the tip (see below), was the glass fuse damaged?

Hello There,

Please try re-downloading the latest version of Firmware to the device. If this does not resolve the issue we'd recommend contacting our support team directly to get this unit repaired/exchanged. Please note that we do indeed offer Paid Repairs on devices that are out of the 1 Year Warranty.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Was your 12V cigarette adapter loose at all? If you unscrew the tip (see below), was the glass fuse damaged?

View attachment 45248

Hello, thank you for your question. No, everything seamed fine. That was the first thing I checked for, a blown fuse and loose wiring in the adaptor. I even check that the cigarette lighter adaptor in my vehicle was giving out the correct voltage. Maybe the wire in the cable became brittle and cracked with time of use. The good news is the new cable I purchased works perfectly well without any issues so I can now return the new X550 I purchased for a refund. The only reason I decided to purchase another X550 is because I already had all the wiring nicely installed in my vehicle and I also have the rear camera that I purchased with the first Thinkware X550 dash camera.

Hello There,

Please try re-downloading the latest version of Firmware to the device. If this does not resolve the issue we'd recommend contacting our support team directly to get this unit repaired/exchanged. Please note that we do indeed offer Paid Repairs on devices that are out of the 1 Year Warranty.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment. As I stated in my original message I did contact Thinkware customer support, they did also suggested re-downloading the latest version of Firmware. I installed the latest version of Firmware downloaded from the Thinkware site. It installed correctly but the camera did the same thing of shutting down after a few seconds to a minute of starting up. I contacted Thinkware again, explained the situation but they suggested purchasing a new camera as mine was now out or warranty. I asked if they had a repair centre where I could send my X550 to be repaired. I was told they did not, they would simply exchange any unit within the warranty period. Devices out of warranty could not be sent to them for repairs. Fortunately for me it was just a case of purchasing a new car charger adaptor.

This is my Thinkware reference number for that issue. 112300908 and this is the UK customer service number 0333 121 0008.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment. As I stated in my original message I did contact Thinkware customer support, they did also suggested re-downloading the latest version of Firmware. I installed the latest version of Firmware downloaded from the Thinkware site. It installed correctly but the camera did the same thing of shutting down after a few seconds to a minute of starting up. I contacted Thinkware again, explained the situation but they suggested purchasing a new camera as mine was now out or warranty. I asked if they had a repair centre where I could send my X550 to be repaired. I was told they did not, they would simply exchange any unit within the warranty period. Devices out of warranty could not be sent to them for repairs. Fortunately for me it was just a case of purchasing a new car charger adaptor.

This is my Thinkware reference number for that issue. 112300908 and this is the UK customer service number 0333 121 0008.
Hi There, We apologize as we did not pay proper attention to your location . Here in North America we do offer Repair Service's for Dash Cam's out of warranty. We were not aware that our UK Team does not offer this as well. Our apologies,

Thinkware North America

Back