Thinkware U1000 4k / 2k Camera Reminder

The figures are based on the iVolt Battery Pack (12.8v - 4500mah) i believe

You are spot on with Energy Saving mode too. With No Radar the camera would wake up and start recording within 1 second of a detected impact to the car, so the impact would be missed but the aftermath caught.

With the Radar any physical movement in FRONT of the car (Not the Rear) would be picked up by the Radar which will start the 20 second recording however it will only actually Save that clip if it then detects an impact.

Be aware in Energy Saving Mode you can not Remotely 'Live View' through the camera as it shuts down all the WiFi to save power. In Timelapse or Motion you can Remotely Live View as long as you have a WiFi connection to the camera.

Thanks! indeed this would need the Radar option to record motion. Otherwise isnt the standard parking mode with motion detection (no radar) would do the same maybe it would last 3-4 days?
On my Garmin if a motion is detected it record buffer video, just wondering what the radar is adding over the motion detection, maybe in pitch back situation.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks! indeed this would need the Radar option to record motion. Otherwise standard parking mode would do the trick maybe it would last 3-4 days? (I get around 24hrs off of my iVolt Mini battery)

Normal parking mode has to many factors to take into account to estimate a time. (Battery condition, Outside temperature, How much the vehicle has been driven and what was turned on when driving as you always get less Parking recording in the wintertime as when the car is being driven we often have headlights on, heaters blowing more, heated rear windscreen etc so the battery charges less) I think 3-4 days is unlikely being honest. The most i would really expect off a vehicle with a decent size battery that's in good condition and fully charged would be about 48hrs.

Remote Live View

Screenshot_20190926-093357_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
Screenshot_20190926-093420_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
Point Blur_Sep262019_093956.jpg
Screenshot_20190926-093638_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
Heard Q800 Pro will have remote live view in the next update. Also a new T700 will be using an LTE sim inside.

The latest update for the Q800 Pro in the UK already has Live View BUT ONLY when driving not when you are parked. Yes there is a T700 on it's way with it's own Nano Sim Slot it is a lower spec camera though, i suspect aimed more at the business market but that's just my opinion!

The latest update for the Q800 Pro in the UK already has Live View BUT ONLY when driving not when you are parked. Yes there is a T700 on it's way with it's own Nano Sim Slot it is a lower spec camera though, i suspect aimed more at the business market but that's just my opinion!

T700 is 1080p front and rear
1569484303194.png

Just completed my U1000 review

Hi !

@Jeremy Wong thanks for the comprehensive review. Did help to appreciate the quality.
I got my actually tested, 2ch and I found 2 issues that can really be dealbreakers:
1) overly Chatty dashcam: I knew this from others review until I realized how annoying it is. Every startup it says”connected to GPS” “ motion or incident occurs...” but the most annoying is “ please connect to a smartphone using WiFi name Thinkware...” still surprised that Thinkware didn’t fixed that yet to allow selection of announcements like Blackvue does.
Only option is to mute all and then you have nothing, I did set volume on 1 and the speaker is way to loud that neighbors parking car hear my car being chatty. I would test to tape the speaker grill to reduce the sound.

2) no région detection for motion Parking mode. Meaning my car has a blinking red led on the edge of my dashboard when my car alarm is on (OEM) . At night the camera records the blinking as motion incident over 50 videos.... where Blackvue has a region setting to avoid reflections to trigger motion.

Then the overall video quality is fine( maybe too much sharpening happening) but the rear camera at 2K is not as good as my “old”FHD Garmin mini.

if Thinkware could fix the chatty/volume and motion detection or at least giving the option would be one of the best cam.

Hi !

@Jeremy Wong thanks for the comprehensive review. Did help to appreciate the quality.
I got my actually tested, 2ch and I found 2 issues that can really be dealbreakers:
1) overly Chatty dashcam: I knew this from others review until I realized how annoying it is. Every startup it says”connected to GPS” “ motion or incident occurs...” but the most annoying is “ please connect to a smartphone using WiFi name Thinkware...” still surprised that Thinkware didn’t fixed that yet to allow selection of announcements like Blackvue does.
Only option is to mute all and then you have nothing, I did set volume on 1 and the speaker is way to loud that neighbors parking car hear my car being chatty. I would test to tape the speaker grill to reduce the sound.

2) no région detection for motion Parking mode. Meaning my car has a blinking red led on the edge of my dashboard when my car alarm is on (OEM) . At night the camera records the blinking as motion incident over 50 videos.... where Blackvue has a region setting to avoid reflections to trigger motion.

Then the overall video quality is fine( maybe too much sharpening happening) but the rear camera at 2K is not as good as my “old”FHD Garmin mini.

if Thinkware could fix the chatty/volume and motion detection or at least giving the option would be one of the best cam.

You can set the Thinkware to connect using a hotspot then you won't hear "connect to wifi blah blah...." but you will hear "connected to the internet" every time connect to hotspot.

Yes Thinkware should consider implementing the detection zone and the mute certain voice prompt.

but the most annoying is “ please connect to a smartphone using WiFi name Thinkware...” still surprised that Thinkware didn’t fixed that yet to allow selection of announcements like Blackvue does.

If you connect a phone via the Hotspot method just once, you never even have to use it again but it stops this message!

Motion & Incidents that have been recorded need to speak really otherwise you may not realise the vehicle has been knocked or by the time you notice the footage may have been overwritten. I do think after a while your brain filters out the GPS Connected & Continuous Recording Started messages. It's useful though as in the unlikely event of a camera failure or power supply failure you will notice the camera isn't working. I don't consider the volume too loud but it is a very clear & sharp speaker.

Hi Maddog,
You are correct about the voice notification for Incident which are required, just a bit of customization like Blackvue would have helped.
As for the volume, at level 1 it is super loud maybe because my car is a sport car coupe with little room inside . Voice is very clear (compared to Blackvue) but I would need to tape the speaker grill as it literally fire on my face.

regarding hot spot I would be interested to have a portable Hotspot, the one you throw a SIM card inside and on his own battery.
How should I proceed to set it up? How can it register the wi fi ssid from this adhoc hotspot device. At the same time it will stop the annoying startup WiFi message, even is the hotspot is turned off?
thanks for all ur help

To set up a portable WiFi unit firstly you need to connect your phone to the camera via the Hotspot method (follow App instructions for this) once you are connected and have the App open you go to Connection Settings, Hotspot and then press the + symbol and manually add the SSID and the Password for the portable hotspot. Then turn off the phone hotspot and it should connect to the protable one shortly after you should hear the unit say 'Connected to the internet' and the Blue WiFI LED will go solid instead of flashing.

At the same time it will stop the annoying startup WiFi message, even is the hotspot is turned off?
YES! Even if you ignore the portable WiFi Hotspot Device just connecting your Phone to the WiFi hotspot of the camera will also stop that message....even with the hotspot turned off.

Hi Maddog,
You are correct about the voice notification for Incident which are required, just a bit of customization like Blackvue would have helped.
As for the volume, at level 1 it is super loud maybe because my car is a sport car coupe with little room inside . Voice is very clear (compared to Blackvue) but I would need to tape the speaker grill as it literally fire on my face.

regarding hot spot I would be interested to have a portable Hotspot, the one you throw a SIM card inside and on his own battery.
How should I proceed to set it up? How can it register the wi fi ssid from this adhoc hotspot device. At the same time it will stop the annoying startup WiFi message, even is the hotspot is turned off?
thanks for all ur help

Once set up for hotspot will stop the notification to connect to the wifi. The hotspot will only notify when it connects to the hotspot only.

Android

iOS

I'm currently set up the U1000 to connect to my Samsung S9+'s hotspot.

Just a reminder that these units are in stock, i believe the option Radar sensor will be with us shortly too.

Any discount code on this site should work with it too (**cough*DCT18*cough**)
Don’t think the code is working anymore

The code was only ever for actual cameras, not accessories and because we have a special offer on a couple of models at the moment the code won't work for those models. Once the offer is over they will work again. We can't offer both unfortunately otherwise i'd be having bread & butter for Christmas Dinner :LOL:

The code was only ever for actual cameras, not accessories and because we have a special offer on a couple of models at the moment the code won't work for those models. Once the offer is over they will work again. We can't offer both unfortunately otherwise i'd be having bread & butter for Christmas Dinner :LOL:
yes just the U1000 not accessories. Not sure if I should wait for Christmas or January just in case prices drop a bit more.

To set up a portable WiFi unit firstly you need to connect your phone to the camera via the Hotspot method (follow App instructions for this) once you are connected and have the App open you go to Connection Settings, Hotspot and then press the + symbol and manually add the SSID and the Password for the portable hotspot. Then turn off the phone hotspot and it should connect to the protable one shortly after you should hear the unit say 'Connected to the internet' and the Blue WiFI LED will go solid instead of flashing.

At the same time it will stop the annoying startup WiFi message, even is the hotspot is turned off?
YES! Even if you ignore the portable WiFi Hotspot Device just connecting your Phone to the WiFi hotspot of the camera will also stop that message....even with the hotspot turned off.
New to the forum, I recently bought my first dash-cam and went for the U1000, I'm considering the option of getting a mobile hot-spot that is not my phone, as I work in a busy mall and have concerns at times of people hitting my vehicle, but as far as what can be accessed this way from the mobile app, can you see files saved on the device over the hot-spot? Or must you be connected over 'wi-fi'? I guess I'm trying to understand what limitations there are through the cloud service.

You can remotely 'Live view' through the front or rear camera whilst parked.
You can set Notifications so if a small impact happens you will get the Notification on your phone. You can set it to send a Video through if a Heavy impact is detected at the moment this is set for a minimum of 3G force which is quite big. I believe this will be reduced to around 1.5G force in a future update.
You can't Remotely view events saved on the memory card you can only do this when you are connected directly to the Camera via WiFi (or phone hotspot)

All of the above assume the camera is connected to WiFi and the camera is still on (not shut down due to battery voltage level - once this triggers all communication is shut down)

Can you have more than one wifi connection setup for the U1000?
Ideally I want it to find my HomeWifi connection when parked at home, and then connect to WorkWifi when parked at the office.

If only one is possible, I could setup a SSID at home that has the same details as the work one...

Can you have more than one wifi connection setup for the U1000?
Ideally I want it to find my HomeWifi connection when parked at home, and then connect to WorkWifi when parked at the office.

If only one is possible, I could setup a SSID at home that has the same details as the work one...

Yes you can. To be honest i'm not sure the maximum number of hotspots it can take. I have 3 programmed in mine, home / work / portable hotspot.

Thanks lots!

Back