Thinkware U1000 Connecting To Garage's WiFi

Doran

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can I connect my dashcam to garage's wifi? given that I can add my garage's WiFi as a hotspot and the dashcam will play the message "connected to the internet" so it is connected.
I couldn't get that to work as I receive an error "The Cloud Server Connection Is Unstable", is that feature supported or I am missing something!

I can connect with my phone hotspot fine, it is for the garage's WiFi.

The WiFi network must have a proper password for the camera to work on it. Does that network have that or is it one where on a phone you log onto the WiFi via the phones internet browser?

The WiFi network must have a proper password for the camera to work on it. Does that network have that or is it one where on a phone you log onto the WiFi via the phones internet browser?
I would like to be able to connect to my Home Wifi or "home hotspot" but not sure how. Yes, my Home Wifi does have a password. Yes, my Iphone connected to this Home Wifi. Whenever, I am outside and connected to a Hotspot then iphone switched to use my Data with Verizon. Thanks.

If you connect to the camera with your phone via the Hotspot, you can go to connection settings - hotspot - press the + button and manually enter the name & password for your home network. Once done and you disconnect your phone it shoud connect to your home network providing it has a decent signal there.

I spent about an hour trying to set mine up to connect via the car's hotspot today and gave up.
I could get it to connect to the app via the phone's hotspot, but trying to configure it was frustrating.
I suppose if I knew exactly what it is and it's supposed to do, I could maybe figure out if I'm doing something wrong?

I managed to connect, and programmed the car's hotspot.
I then tried to add the Cloud enabled camera in the app, and it wanted me to connect with the phone's hotspot. I turned that on, but I could not get the camera to connect until I shut off the car's hotspot.

Once I got the camera enabled on the cloud, while connected, I went ahead and deleted the car's Hotspot.
It appears that the only thing that can be done on the Cloud section of the app is view the GPS map and Liveview? Does this allow for retrieval of video from the camera, or only incident video that has been uploaded?
If so, then now that I have it set up, I can now add the car's hotspot back in and it will connect that way?

2nd issue... I have a 1000, as does my wife. I don't see an option to change the name of the camera as it identifies itself to the cloud.
I'm getting the impression that the cloud service is extremely limited... though I guess it's a good idea since it will immediately (?) upload incident video, so if injured in an accident and unable to retrieve the card.

So... After connecting via a hotspot, to get the phone to connect via WiFi, I have to press and hold the WiFi button? I think I tried that, but the camera reconnected to the car's hotspot before I was able to connect using the phone.

And before you ask... Yes, I want to connect via the car's hotspot and not the phone because we have an unlimited data plan on the cars, but our phones only have 4gb per month.
I know the car's hotspot will be worthless for parking alerts since it shuts down with the engine.

I spent about an hour trying to set mine up to connect via the car's hotspot today and gave up.
I could get it to connect to the app via the phone's hotspot, but trying to configure it was frustrating.
I suppose if I knew exactly what it is and it's supposed to do, I could maybe figure out if I'm doing something wrong?

I managed to connect, and programmed the car's hotspot.
I then tried to add the Cloud enabled camera in the app, and it wanted me to connect with the phone's hotspot. I turned that on, but I could not get the camera to connect until I shut off the car's hotspot.

Once I got the camera enabled on the cloud, while connected, I went ahead and deleted the car's Hotspot.
It appears that the only thing that can be done on the Cloud section of the app is view the GPS map and Liveview? Does this allow for retrieval of video from the camera, or only incident video that has been uploaded? [Only video that would be automatically sent is from a big impact with a minimum force of 3G (probably airbags deployed), then a Notification would be sent to any Phone logged into your Cloud account followed by a 20 second video. When connected to a Hotspot etc you can Live View, Live Track, Set Geofences and get notification in & out of that area and when parked you get notifications of an impact (not in your case due to vehicle hotspot going off)]
If so, then now that I have it set up, I can now add the car's hotspot back in and it will connect that way? [Certainly should]

2nd issue... I have a 1000, as does my wife. I don't see an option to change the name of the camera as it identifies itself to the cloud.
I'm getting the impression that the cloud service is extremely limited... though I guess it's a good idea since it will immediately (?) upload incident video, so if injured in an accident and unable to retrieve the card. [If you go to the Cloud symbol in the middle bottom of the screen so it shows the Map of where the vehicle is (or was) if you press the 'dots aka hamburger' at the top right of the map you can rename devices. Thinkware Cloud is a bit limited compared to some as they tried to keep it to useful information only, that way it keeps the Cloud Free of charge, i know some others are more comprehensive but they then tend to charge a monthly fee for it]

So... After connecting via a hotspot, to get the phone to connect via WiFi, I have to press and hold the WiFi button? I think I tried that, but the camera reconnected to the car's hotspot before I was able to connect using the phone [Yes this is correct or disable the built in Hotspot and then enable the Phones one, or as you say press the WiFi button (should stay in WiFi mode for 2 minutes) and connect in that time frame]

And before you ask... Yes, I want to connect via the car's hotspot and not the phone because we have an unlimited data plan on the cars, but our phones only have 4gb per month.
I know the car's hotspot will be worthless for parking alerts since it shuts down with the engine.
I've tried to answer a few questions above for you!

Thanks Steve

Thanks.
Sounds like everything is working properly.
I got it connected to the car, and can still connect directly via WiFi without changing anything if I need to DL a clip by tapping the WiFi button on the camera.

So with the car's hotspot being off when parked, if there are parking events sufficient to trigger it, will it upload those?
I'm assuming if the incident upload trigger is 3g, the sensitivity setting in the app has no effect on that?

I guess I was expecting maybe too much out of the cloud interface. Hard to complain because it's free, but I would not mind a subscription based service that allows more flexibility, such as allowing download of any stored video.

One thing that I did verify on my Avalon is that when I activate the remote start from my Toyota app, the hotspot does come to life and this allows for the camera to be accessed... provides an option to running out to the structure if one of the field guys comes in and says "Hey Rich, your car is all effed up!"

Debating whether or not to tell my wife... her '21 Venza is the nicest car she's ever owned and she'd probably sit at home with the hybrid system running all day watching the live stream :ROFLMAO:

I tested the impact sensing today on the way home by rapping my knuckle on the camera.
It triggered and sent me the alert, but it only uploaded the rear camera.
Does it know from what direction the impact came and only upload the one view, or did the forward view simply fail?

On parking events, I have the radar module, and seem to be getting infrequent events where there is no apparent impact... middle of the day in the parking structure, and overnight here at home.
How hard does a parking event need to be to trigger the cloud upload... and if the hotspot is off when the incident occurs, will it upload when the connection is restored? It's using the radar unit so I would assume it would power down the hotspot connection when parked anyway.

Loving the camera, and so far I've got at least 3 days continuous on the 512gb chip.

I tested the impact sensing today on the way home by rapping my knuckle on the camera.
It triggered and sent me the alert, but it only uploaded the rear camera.
Does it know from what direction the impact came and only upload the one view, or did the forward view simply fail?

On parking events, I have the radar module, and seem to be getting infrequent events where there is no apparent impact... middle of the day in the parking structure, and overnight here at home.
How hard does a parking event need to be to trigger the cloud upload... and if the hotspot is off when the incident occurs, will it upload when the connection is restored? It's using the radar unit so I would assume it would power down the hotspot connection when parked anyway.

Loving the camera, and so far I've got at least 3 days continuous on the 512gb chip.
You’re able to fit a 512gb chip in your Thinkware u1000? I thought the max was 128.

It works fine.
At first, it ran for a week or so and I got an error. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, it ran for another day, then errored out again.
I ran a reformat in the camera from the app (I did that when it was new) and it's been working fine ever since.

I'm using this card:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09B1HMJ9Z

Back