Thinkware U1000 microSD Card

Did you buy your SD cards that are "shipped and sold by Amazon" or some other 3rd party sellers? I never buy any SD cards from 3rd party sellers because there are so many fake cards out there. The U1000 comes with a 32GB SD card. Can your U1000 format and use that 32GB card? If not, then your U1000 is defective and you should contact the seller.

Yeah the 32gb that came with the Dashcam works and same as my old Adata 64gb from my BlackVue DR650GW

When you bought it, did it say "SHIP AND SOLD BY AMAZON"? I can see only 3rd party sellers on the Canadian Amazon site for this card. No ship and sold by Amazon option. Since the 32GB card works, your U1000 is fine. Either Thinkware have changed something to make the U1000 not compatible with your larger cards (I doubt it), or your cards are fake.

I just had my u1000 installed but according to the paperwork the largest micro SD card it can take is 128gb. I also used the SanDisk Extreme Pro. I also formatted my SD card initially (not sure it was needed).

I also have just purchased the U1000, to replace my F770. It hasn't arrived yet but my experience with the F770 is that 3rd party cards do work, but with a lot of trial and error...
For those of you with the U1000 who are using 256GB and higher cards, are you running the stock firmware? if not which firmware are you running?

@tekken I've had my F770 2CH since July 2017, currently running the latest firmware, using a 128GB Samsung Evo+ U1 card which I got a months later.
To be honest, I'm really impressed with the card, it's still working perfectly at this time, no video loss or degradation that i can see.. and it's not even high endurance
I also have a cellink battery for contentious recording so its been putting in work

What card is everyone using and how many hours can you fit on that card?

Has anyone tried a 512gb card or 1tb?

I haven’t looked at how many hours of video my 400gb card can store, but I haven’t had a chance to format the partitions so currently, I’m using a trusty Samsung evo 128gb card. It’s hard to say how many video hours each card holds. It’s dependent on what codec and bitrate are used. It can range anywhere from 13 minutes to 4.5 hours in full 4K on a 128gb card. I’ve read that up to 40 hours of video in 1080p can be stored on a 400gb card, but I haven’t run across much in the 4K storage hours.

I haven’t looked at how many hours of video my 400gb card can store, but I haven’t had a chance to format the partitions so currently, I’m using a trusty Samsung evo 128gb card. It’s hard to say how many video hours each card holds. It’s dependent on what codec and bitrate are used. It can range anywhere from 13 minutes to 4.5 hours in full 4K on a 128gb card. I’ve read that up to 40 hours of video in 1080p can be stored on a 400gb card, but I haven’t run across much in the 4K storage hours.

4.5hrs probably sounds about right on a 128gb card, I only just got mine and the 32gb card only has roughly an hour of recording on it :eek:

I've just put a Samsung Evo Plus 512GB Card into mine, straight of the pack and into the camera.
Started recording straight away, no issues.

So I bought this one for my U1000 but doesnt seem to work, it always say "Memory Card Format Required" or "Memory Card Error Occur" and also bought the Sandisk Ultra A1 256gb still the same error from my dashcam. Help please.!!!!!!
I am a bit late to the party here, but if you get errors such as this, it can be that the card is not being recognised by the Dashcams BIOS, so it is best to update the firmware to the latest version.

A Thinkware support person said it is best to format disks we purchase before using them. My old dashcam would make me format a new disc, something built into the camera software.

Samsung Pro Endurance seems to be the best rated card besides a few very expensive brands. The SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 has never given me a problem. I just ordered a 128gb from Amazon.

There is always a risk, via Amazon, that someone in their FBA program provides counterfeit products. I've returned various items over the years that were counterfeits.

Just be aware the u1000 uses High-Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 video instead of the generally used H.264 used in previous Thinkware dashcams and many other manufacturers products. This is more efficient when operating in this environment and allows for more data to be stored per GB of card space

Typically my 128gb Delkin DDMSDW660128 show on the packaging that 4 hours 24 minutes of 4k video can be stored. It does not state if this h265 or the older h264 codec. This is not long and as prices come down then I will look for a larger card that will work consistently and give me at least 9 hours running time before overwriting. I currently have 2 x 128 gb Delkins from my previous QVIA dashcams that work perfectly in the u1000, but not on the QVIA 790's that I have sold on. This means I need to change cards if I need to keep desirable footage if travelling for a long time sometime in the future when covid19 is less of a problem.
I understand someone on here has used a 400gb card? If so could you please list its name and details and force the u1000 to format it and then check if it works correctly over a few hours?

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:
I understand that some card run less hot than others.
as my U1000 sometimes shuts down due to heat I was wondering what card to get to (try and) prevent this?

Last edited:
I am using 512's in both cars the q800 and the u1000

I am using 512's in both cars the q800 and the u1000
Yes, but what standard and which one is it? Please supply a link so there is no mistaking it!
There are many on the market.
Thanks

SanDisk 512GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-512G-GN6MA​

amazon​

Thanks

Same specification on Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07P7M6K35

Alert!!!
Sky1 why have you deleted your post? Is there a problem with the product, does it work or not? Please clarify?

Thankyou

Last edited:
Back