Thinkware U1000 vs. Blackvue DR900S-2CH (soon Viofo A129 Pro Duo)

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, working on some comparisons. So far I have a day and night sample rendered in 4k comparing the thinkware vs blackvue 4k cameras. I ran the viofo a129 pro duo next to them too, and actually the single channel vantrue x4. those comparisons will come later. If you can't get 4K to work, make sure you don't have h.264ify like I did which blocks 60fps and 1440+ or higher videos.

Full reviews A129 Pro Duo soon.

Comparisons:

Reviews:

Last edited:
The Thinkware seem unrestrained / running on factory image settings, the Blackvue seem a bit OOF

The Thinkware seem unrestrained / running on factory image settings, the Blackvue seem a bit OOF
They both have standard image settings. Both of their "super night vision" modes are set to parking mode only.

Oh I explain on YouTube in the comments, something that may piss people off but these videos are with the CPL on the thinkware but none on the Blackvue. Decided to use just what comes in the retail box as Blackvue doesn't even offer their own CPL, only 3rd party offerings. The U1000 2 channel ships with a CPL in the box.

I've also had people tell me some cams are better if you use custom firmware too, so I decided to set my standard as only first party accessories or firmware because then it might open a can of worms of 3rd party modifications.

Again I know this might upset people but, if that's the case Blackvue should offer a CPL. I see on their website they list a 3rd party one from France but seeing their comparisons of it doesn't look like it would have made that drastic of a difference in reading plates in my samples anyways. Slightly sure, maybe on the far plate in my screen shot.

Interesting Video of yours. My 900S 1channel looks as good as the thinkware U1000 you posted. And better than the 900S you posted. Perhaps some of us have either better 900S cameras than the others or perhaps the 1channel is slightly better than the dual channel.

Interesting Video of yours. My 900S 1channel looks as good as the thinkware U1000 you posted. And better than the 900S you posted. Perhaps some of us have either better 900S cameras than the others or perhaps the 1channel is slightly better than the dual channel.
I was thinking it was looking worse than what I remembered TBH. I checked the video settings to make sure I didn't change anything. My first thought was it almost looked like when it does on very hot days but it's not hot here now.

The image of the DR900S also seems pretty bad to me. Almost like the one of my units which lost focus every time it warmed up.

Perhaps YouTube degrades the quality, not the best place to make comparisons

I agree. My 900S has very good video quality on my computer. Looking at a YouTube video it will be de-graded since it will not show 4K, only 1080 P

OP, Take the SD card out and put it on your computer and see if you notice a difference.

I feel YouTube are kind to 4K footage, or at least it use to be, that's why i have some times up scaled 1080p footage to 4K in post, so it wouldn't get raped so bad.
But no matter how you look at it, you can not judge detail by streamed footage.
TBH i don't even get why people will accept the garbage IQ on many streaming services, and even regular providers of TV
A friend of mine are hardcore into football or sucker as the Americans so right call it, but his TV provider are garbage so looking at a match make me sick,,,,, and not just cuz i am a avid football / sucker hater.

The image of the DR900S also seems pretty bad to me. Almost like the one of my units which lost focus every time it warmed up.
hmmm, is it possible to send to blackvue to refocus? I have done this in the past with my DR550 back in the day when I first started my channel but I would prefer not to do it myself again.

I am uploading one of the raw files for you guys to check out. it sure does seem like its got a focus issue looking at others samples.

Here is one of the clips I used.

Blackvue is making this really dark, but there are street lights so I guess the Viofo is more realistic, but then I don't know how bright your street lights are, maybe they are energy saving green street lights. Would be good to have a bit of comparison in full darkness, away from the street lights with just the car headlights, the main beam headlights can also be a challenge to some cameras if the centre of the beam is too bright for them. Some of us spend most of our night time driving without streetlights.

Is it better to be able to see your surroundings, pedestrians, bicycles with no lights, etc, or is it more important to be able to read the license plates?

Blackvue is making this really dark, but there are street lights so I guess the Viofo is more realistic, but then I don't know how bright your street lights are, maybe they are energy saving green street lights. Would be good to have a bit of comparison in full darkness, away from the street lights with just the car headlights, the main beam headlights can also be a challenge to some cameras if the centre of the beam is too bright for them. Some of us spend most of our night time driving without streetlights.

Is it better to be able to see your surroundings, pedestrians, bicycles with no lights, etc, or is it more important to be able to read the license plates?
I thought the last front video was pretty dark, I live in Minneapolis, that's about as dark of a road I'm going to find other than if I drive 45 min or an hour away to the country. I choose that road for that reason actually.

My car also has HIDs, but so does my truck. Unfortunately I can't make a comparison for every factor.

Posted my Viofo A129 Pro Duo Review up top, too many vids to imbed so its a link!

Really liking the U1000 out of the 3. The Viofo looks like it works great, but I’m not a fan of its design at all. The Viofo unit visually just looks like aged tech to me, like looking at a 1990 Walkman. I picked up the U1000 duo w/radar which is pricey, but what is an extra couple hundred bucks when protecting your $30,000+ investment? I’ll try to post in the forums as I use the cam. Hopefully it holds up to the FL heat! :)

Sorry I replied to your PM late! Let me know what you think of the radar, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Sorry I replied to your PM late! Let me know what you think of the radar, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I returned the radar. I feel like it really limits the parking mode function as it only detects in one direction and doesn’t detect people, only large moving objects. If it detected 360 degrees I would use it, otherwise it only limits the great parking mode functions on the U1000. I spoke to a pro at BBMC who also told me he disconnected his and would not buy again until its design was revamped.

Back