Thinkware X500

Tbear

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just purchased the X500 because I like its features and that it had a rear view camera. It also has lane departure warning which works very well. However, the Forward Collision Warning System Feature seems to think you are constantly going to crash into everything in sight. Over 30 mph it comes alive and often nuisance beeps when nothing seems to be in front of me. If there is a car in front of me going the same speed as me with a reasonable distance between us, it still wants to beep. I've set the sensitivity on low but it beeps so often I had to turn it off.

Ironically, when I'm on the interstate doing 65 mpg, I can purposely accelerate towards the car or truck in front of me, approaching at clearly a collision speed, and by the time it beeps I would barely have time to brake. I've sent Thinkware an email about this but have yet to hear back from them.

So although I like all the features of this product, it seems this particular feature is a bit lame.

I was wondering if any other owners experience the same type of unnecessary and frequent warnings while driving around town; and have experienced any warnings that would be way too late on an interstate?

I have been driving 45 years without an accident so its not like I'm trying to depend on this gadget to drive safely, but paying $250 for the unit comes with expectations that all its features would be worthwhile using...

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated...

Tbear

most people turn those functions off, they're more gimmick than substance unfortunately when there is no integration into the vehicles electronics

Camera-based collision warning systems need a great deal of processing power to be able to work well and a dashcam simply doesn't have it, so it doesn't surprise me to read this. My car has a good system but it uses radar built into the front bumper (fender?). My car has lane departure intervention too so I have disabled both of the driver aids on my F750.

@Tbear do you have any footage to post on the X500 and how do you find the camera generally ................Ipol

I might have some footage that is worth posting from my X500. I will pull the card later today and check.

Back