This footage saved my butt when guy decided to make a left turn on red arrow in front of me

Leo_SF

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cross posted this video in DDPAI MINI 2 forum but I figured more people will see it here.

I was going straight on a relatively slow (50-55MPH) highway along the ocean. A guy stopped in a left most lane on a red left turn arrow randomly decided to turn when the main lights turned green in both directions. The guy, in his 50s, was uninjured and looked annoyed by the whole incident. When cops arrived he insisted he had a green light. The cop who had no witnesses or video, decided I was at fault and gave me a court summons for running a red light. I am in my late 30s. I have law enforcement training and experience. I did not disclose any of that. I was simply providing all necessary documentation and telling the cop I had a green light. During the impact, I hit the left side of my ear, head, and body against the door before the side airbags actually deployed. I was concussed and wasn't making perfect sense or recall everything. After I checked both of my dashcams. It was clear. I emailed the officer as I was still at the highway waiting for a tow truck when he already left(and refused to return). To his credit he did void the citation and put me as a party not at fault in the report. I don't know what was going through his mind but he looked annoyed when I stated I was injured and asked for his email. He asked me for my driver license immediately after and wrote the citation. My car was totaled. The other driver left the scene shortly thereafter.

Glad you didn't roll over. What type of car was this?

The speed limit varies from 50 to 55MPH. However people drive faster than that as expected. I can't remember how fast I was going but it was somewhere 50-60. I was slowing down before the bend of the road which was 10 sec before the intersection, then when I clearly saw the green light, I accelerated because it was up hill. I was driving a Nissan 'Leaf' which lives up to its name with the thickness of its doors.:LOL: I was in my 'eco' mode while driving. This is the slower mode with more regeneration (especially when you take your foot off the gas).

Last edited:
Just curious....the camera saves your butt either way.

Main thing is the right person get to pay in any way he / she need to pay.
It was one of the main reasons i got into dashcams, cuz cyclists here often drive like idiots, but if i touch one with my car i have to retake my license, but that's not going to happen without one hell of a fight.
I am fine with paying is i am a idiot, but someone else have to pay their own bills i am not doing that just cuz im safe and sound inside a metal box.

Here's another one from Friday with my ToGuard dashcam. Same road. This time, a car in front of me decides to go through a red light on a green left turn arrow. This happens a lot.

Back