Thoughts on my first dashcam ... Vico MF3 1440p HDR Hybrid 60-30fps.

Back to one of the original issues which bugs me too....

I've been looking for a solution to this (a switched USB cable) and just found it.
c6df33fa0049384bf138a5c8373085e7.jpg
So I'll put that as nearly as I can, in my central console box, attached to the powerbank USB output socket, then to the USB cable which runs from there up to the dashcam. So I'll be able to switch off/on the dashcam at will, with the power source from the powerbank, recharged by the car (or the house).

Power links over USB cables will then be:

Car -> ultra short, high-capacity USB cable -> Powerbank -> USB switch -> 5m USB cable -> dashcam

I'm ordering a couple of USB testers as they advertise an on/off switch so might be a useful alternative when I want to generate power usage readings Inc discharge times.
0fd13859e659e97c8a1ba2737ca20ecf.jpg

All products are free shippingfrom AliExpress so may take a month or so to arrive!

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Thanks that USB on off switch looks useful for me ... if my power bank does not cut iff charging when you start to drain power. Still waiting for supply to confirm. ( they are not very responsive)
It has a output power on-off switch , so I need to know if that affects the charging input.

If not I will get one like yours.
I just bought a USB meter, and have ordered another.
It looks similar to yours but doesnt have an on off switch that button on mine chanhes the menu.
Interested to see when you get yours if it does in fact have an on-off switch.

When you say your engine is all covered / and refer to the price of diesel on your trip. Do you have a diesel engine in the S Class? Is it a 3.5L ? ... I am out of touch with Mercedes diesels, they seem to have changed so radically in the last 5 years.

If only I could find one of those 2:1 periferal sharing USB switches, that passed 5V and 1.5 amps, or at least 1A.
Then I would have the perfect system.
As I could think of my power sources (car or powerbank) as PC1 or PC2 and the output being the Dashcam.
Ergo leave the charging input always connected, because if I switched over to Battery power i.e. parking mode. Then by defacto the engine would be off so I wouldn't be charging my powerbank. Yet it would charge the Powerbank when I was driving.
All with a simple one press switchover!
But cant find one :(:(

Strange they dont make one to share one of these USB SSDs!

Back to one of the original issues which bugs me too....

I've been looking for a solution to this (a switched USB cable) and just found it.
c6df33fa0049384bf138a5c8373085e7.jpg
So I'll put that as nearly as I can, in my central console box, attached to the powerbank USB output socket, then to the USB cable which runs from there up to the dashcam. So I'll be able to switch off/on the dashcam at will, with the power source from the powerbank, recharged by the car (or the house).

Power links over USB cables will then be:

Car -> ultra short, high-capacity USB cable -> Powerbank -> USB switch -> 5m USB cable -> dashcam

I'm ordering a couple of USB testers as they advertise an on/off switch so might be a useful alternative when I want to generate power usage readings Inc discharge times.
0fd13859e659e97c8a1ba2737ca20ecf.jpg

All products are free shippingfrom AliExpress so may take a month or so to arrive!

Thanks that USB on off switch looks useful for me ... if my power bank does not cut iff charging when you start to drain power. Still waiting for supply to confirm. ( they are not very responsive)
It has a output power on-off switch , so I need to know if that affects the charging input.

If not I will get one like yours.
I just bought a USB meter, and have ordered another.
It looks similar to yours but doesnt have an on off switch that button on mine chanhes the menu.
Interested to see when you get yours if it does in fact have an on-off switch.

When you say your engine is all covered / and refer to the price of diesel on your trip. Do you have a diesel engine in the S Class? Is it a 3.5L ? ... I am out of touch with Mercedes diesels, they seem to have changed so radically in the last 5 years.

If only I could find one of those 2:1 periferal sharing USB switches, that passed 5V and 1.5 amps, or at least 1A.
Then I would have the perfect system.
As I could think of my power sources (car or powerbank) as PC1 or PC2 and the output being the Dashcam.
Ergo leave the charging input always connected, because if I switched over to Battery power i.e. parking mode. Then by defacto the engine would be off so I wouldn't be charging my powerbank. Yet it would charge the Powerbank when I was driving.
All with a simple one press switchover!
But cant find one :(:(

Strange they dont make one to share one of these USB SSDs!
Is your ideal system like this? So either direct from the car when driving, then switch (ideally automatically) to the powerbank when parking?
7ae76ac107441e841655fb8a6953d12b.jpg

Here's what I'm running now because my powerbank charges twice as quickly in the car (when the car is running) than it discharges to the dashcam. I also want the powerbank to act as a UPS.
299b83085327a0e90c952479b662fea2.jpg

Ideally the switch would be automatic, e.g. take power from the car, but if not enough current flow (or voltage drop) switch to the secondary feed from the powerbank. I'm certain it is makeable. I've got some hobbyist electronics gear and might look into making one, if I can't buy one.

As for the diesel, it's approx 3L, 250 bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, 35 mpg so far after 11k miles. Sports mode is great and overtaking is swift. I'd prefer 4WD, is 4MATIC, but not sold on the UK, nor any time soon, unfortunately.

Is your ideal system like this? So either direct from the car when driving, then switch (ideally automatically) to the powerbank when parking?
7ae76ac107441e841655fb8a6953d12b.jpg

Here's what I'm running now because my powerbank charges twice as quickly in the car (when the car is running) than it discharges to the dashcam. I also want the powerbank to act as a UPS.
299b83085327a0e90c952479b662fea2.jpg

Ideally the switch would be automatic, e.g. take power from the car, but if not enough current flow (or voltage drop) switch to the secondary feed from the powerbank. I'm certain it is makeable. I've got some hobbyist electronics gear and might look into making one, if I can't buy one.

As for the diesel, it's approx 3L, 250 bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, 35 mpg so far after 11k miles. Sports mode is great and overtaking is swift. I'd prefer 4WD, is 4MATIC, but not sold on the UK, nor any time soon, unfortunately.

Hi
Yep its just like the top diagram, withput the switch.
Other than where your diag goes to ‘car’ mine goes to a dual USB power charger.
8B121D91-31EB-487C-9211-999297EFF42A.jpeg
On the left of the USB Charger you can see the 4M USB connected to the Dashcam, the right one is a 0.5m cable taking 5V power to the Tqka’s Micro B Input port.
Currently if I occasionally need to run the camera when the car is off, I have to Pull the dascam cable out of the charger and push it in the Output of the Battery. And until I hear its safe I pull the ‘charging’ USB cable out of the USB charger.
I dont think that latter disconection is necessary, as the engine will be off.?? And I cant see power reversing down the TQKAs Imput port i to the USB Charger :)

“As for the diesel, it's approx 3L, 250 bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, 35 mpg so far after 11k miles. Sports mode is great and overtaking is swift. I'd prefer 4WD, is 4MATIC, but not sold on the UK, nor any time soon, unfortunately”

OK my Sister had the same I think its called a S350 but is a 3L.

Hmmm 35 mpg would be a dream for me ... pottering around the village near hear assuming no traffic jams.
And 26 is as good as it gets. Hammer it and you could see 19 mpg.
On a motorway, IF the traffic will let you high speed cruise, i.e. keep the speed up, say 30 mpg.

I did once exceed its stated figues, you know gently gently ... I was so bored
Then I thought WTF did I buy this for. But with 5,500cc it can drink like the best of them.
I think its 4.6 sec 0-60 , but it feels pretty swift as it is physically a sodding big bus of a car.

Currently if I occasionally need to run the camera when the car is off, I have to Pull the dascam cable out of the charger and push it in the Output of the Battery. And until I hear its safe I pull the ‘charging’ USB cable out of the USB charger.
I dont think that latter disconection is necessary, as the engine will be off.?? And I cant see power reversing down the TQKAs Imput port i to the USB Charger :)
I think that's correct, but can always great with an inline USB power meter to be sure. After locking my car, power stays on to the sockets inside the car for about 30 secs.

Oddly, I've started to notice, that my new powerbank switches on (and therefore the dashcam) when the car starts. This implies it turns off when parked up between me locking the car and opening it again. I believe this is a feature where the powerbank when it registers a USB cable inserted into its power-in port, but no current flowing through it. With my new USB switch I can force this behaviour, but I do want my powerbank to provide continuous power in parking mode, when I want it. So, I'll keep an eye on it, and swap back to my older, trusty powerbank, if so.

For your design, finding a simple USB A to 2 x mini USB B switch isn't easy eh!?

Two "almost" solutions are this switch with a nice remote button to do toggle between the devices
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BD8I2OY
4bce5c4965118a405800477bfa4d54a5.jpg

or this more compact one but with printer/HDD USB sockets, needing adapters
547b35e0423afb795f7bb4a3100a4f0f.jpg

They're close though. Sooner or later I think you'll find what you're looking for. Although I'm not actively looking now, since I've got a setup I can live with, if I happen to come across one I'll let you know.

I think that's correct, but can always great with an inline USB power meter to be sure. After locking my car, power stays on to the sockets inside the car for about 30 secs.

Oddly, I've started to notice, that my new powerbank switches on (and therefore the dashcam) when the car starts. This implies it turns off when parked up between me locking the car and opening it again. I believe this is a feature where the powerbank when it registers a USB cable inserted into its power-in port, but no current flowing through it. With my new USB switch I can force this behaviour, but I do want my powerbank to provide continuous power in parking mode, when I want it. So, I'll keep an eye on it, and swap back to my older, trusty powerbank, if so.

For your design, finding a simple USB A to 2 x mini USB B switch isn't easy eh!?

Two "almost" solutions are this switch with a nice remote button to do toggle between the devices
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BD8I2OY
4bce5c4965118a405800477bfa4d54a5.jpg

or this more compact one but with printer/HDD USB sockets, needing adapters
547b35e0423afb795f7bb4a3100a4f0f.jpg

They're close though. Sooner or later I think you'll find what you're looking for. Although I'm not actively looking now, since I've got a setup I can live with, if I happen to come across one I'll let you know.

Yes I had thought of checking with the USB meter. But the input is type A, and my Battery input is Micro B so It would be connected the wrong way around but then I womdered if it should show if power was passed through effectively present at the A connects.

Your first switch looks great, other than the output has a lead and I need a female. But love the remote button :):):

The second one looks possible just need short A to B leads.

But as with the ones I found will they handle 1.A??
Noting USB 2. Is technically only 500mA. But that still might work as my cam is averaging 0.45A :)

Back