Three short chirps while driving?

I would agree in formatting the card qt a set interval to keep it "healthy" but not for the reason of fragmentation. SD cards are solid state drives (like SSD's) and they do not get fragmented. They get worn out though and that's common knowledge.

So what kind of "healthy" are we talking about here? Don't get me wrong though, I'm not against doing this but I would just like to know the technicalities behind it. I mean I had these random beeps with my A129 just two weeks ago and after formatting the card it did seem to make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My A129 will give chirps when I save video with the bluetooth save button. It is possible that the sensor is protecting video recording as previously stated.

It is the file locking chirp, when you hit a pothole or a bump in the road and the Gsensor is set to high sensitivity, the camera will lock the current recording into the RO folder on your SD card. You will also see a yellow triangle on the top of the screen with a black exclamation mark.

When you disable the beeps in the menu, it disables all beeps including this warning. But the display will continue to come on and show the triangle.

So I changed the g sensor setting to high and found some bumpy roads and that triggered the g sensor and saved files to RO. Its clear when this happens as screen comes on with the large yellow exclamation yield sign. It did not do that the previous time. So tat g sensor is working nicely. All files are consistent in length and size. On todays drive I had two instances of random chirps. One single chirp and one double chirp. Other than the chirps no visible changes on camera. Screen did not light up, etc. all seems to be working fine, just wondering about the chirps

Does anyone know what the beeps referred to in the above post mean? There does not appear to be any mention of beep sounds in the A129 manual.

Just like the person quoted above, when driving my car I sometimes get a single beep and sometimes get a double-quick beep. I'm sure they are designed to tell me something, but I do not know what.

Does anyone know what the beeps referred to in the above post mean? There does not appear to be any mention of beep sounds in the A129 manual.

Just like the person quoted above, when driving my car I sometimes get a single beep and sometimes get a double-quick beep. I'm sure they are designed to tell me something, but I do not know what.
There are various meanings, would be nice to have a list, with the codes explained, or them replaced by speech messages so that they are instantly understood!

G-Sensor event
Exit Parking Mode
Memory card too slow

There are various meanings, would be nice to have a list, with the codes explained, or them replaced by speech messages so that they are instantly understood!

G-Sensor event
Exit Parking Mode
Memory card too slow
thanks for your reply. I don't see mention of any beach towns in the manual. It is clear that three beeps means thereg sensor went off.

G-Sensor event
Exit Parking Mode
Memory card too slow

Thank you for your reply Nigel. there is absolutely nothing in the manual about beep sounds while in driving mode.

Does anyone know what the beep sounds I referred to mean in driving mode? Perhaps @viofo can help us out with this question.

thanks for your reply. I don't see mention of any beach towns in the manual. It is clear that three beeps means thereg sensor went off.

Thank you for your reply Nigel. there is absolutely nothing in the manual about beep sounds while in driving mode.

Does anyone know what the beep sounds I referred to mean in driving mode? Perhaps @viofo can help us out with this question.
Have you checkout out the files from around the time of the beeps?

Have you checkout out the files from around the time of the beeps?
Thanks for your reply. It's kind of hard to review files while you're driving down the freeway. I thought if I looked at the manual there might be some mention of beep sounds and what they mean. There is of course no mention of the beep sounds at all!

Obviously this is not the first time people have asked this question. The person I quoted in my original post asked it over 3 months ago. I just assumed that the smarter experts here on our forum would know the answer. If not, I guess I'll have to raise another question with with @viofo and wait 3 days for an answer. And the likelihood of them answering the question that I ask is somewhat remote.

Thanks for your reply. It's kind of hard to review files while you're driving down the freeway.
that would be why he suggested looking at the files from around the time that it happened, eg; if it beeps at 10:20am or whatever have a look at the memory card later and look at that time and see if anything unusual on the card, random beeps while driving generally means a card issue so you'd want to look for any anomalies in the recordings

that would be why he suggested looking at the files from around the time that it happened, eg; if it beeps at 10:20am or whatever have a look at the memory card later and look at that time and see if anything unusual on the card, random beeps while driving generally means a card issue so you'd want to look for any anomalies in the recordings

Thanks for your reply Jokiin. Can you give me an idea of what types of anomalies I happen to be looking for?

I will write down some times of when these beeps go off and take a look at my directory of files.

Since this occurrence seems not unusual, one would think that viofo would offer something on their website informing users of what these beeps might mean; or do they expect everyone to be a detective and go and find out for themselves what's happening?

Thanks for your reply Jokiin. Can you give me an idea of what types of anomalies I happen to be looking for?

I will write down some times of when these beeps go off and take a look at my directory of files.

look at file lengths, if they're not consistent at the time it beeps is the first thing to look for, eg if you have a bunch of 3 minute files then you have one which is shorter that would be a problem

Okay, I'll be able to check them later... I have notated the times of "one beep signals". I probably have at least three or four marked already. I believe I marked one two-beep signal. And by the time I get to the end of my next drive which will be about 1 hour long, I should have some more as well.

I will report back. Thanks again everyone!

Okay, I'm back...

It appears when the single or double-beeps occurred the video files were smaller for some reason. - - I had A129 set for 3 min video clips. So, aprox 371 mb = 3 min videos; 175 mb = aprox 1 min 25 seconds. - - See pic for differences in file size, or as Jokiin would say, "anomalies"... ; )

So, is there any reason why the videos would be cut short? Btw, I'm using a Lexar class-10 128 gb SD card.

Going forward, I guess I will simply ignore those single & double beeps. Funny enough, on my one hour drive back home, I didn't hear any beeps.

Finally, is it everyone's understanding that during driving mode the only beeps one should hear are the triple-beeps to signal a g-sensor event? Also, double beeps seem to occur when cam goes from driving mode to parking mode; that happens pretty quickly ( about 10 seconds or less after turning off car).

Attachments

• Directory w Beep Files - A129.JPG
    Directory w Beep Files - A129.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for your reply Jokiin! I had read that the Lexar was one of a few good SD cards to use for dash cams. What aspect of this particular card would cause it to make a shorter video file. And is it safe to say that Viofo or Sandisk/Samsung Cards don't ever have the problem of cutting videos short?

All in all, I could care less if some files aren't the full length as long as there aren't gaps in the video recording.

Here's just one article/review that includes the Lexar SD card that I have...

I think your options are:
  • Slow region of slow memory card encountered.
  • Communication problem with rear camera - check connections.
My guess would be the latter option, except that as Jokiin points out, I wouldn't use a Lexar card in the A129 so that is definitely an option.

two years ago Lexar cards were good, they sold their memory business to a small Chinese manufacturer, prices, and quality dropped

take website reviews like those with a grain of salt, every card has an affiliate link to Amazon, follow the link and buy and they get a cut

I think your options are:
  • Slow region of slow memory card encountered.
  • Communication problem with rear camera - check connections.
My guess would be the latter option, except that as Jokiin points out, I wouldn't use a Lexar card in the A129 so that is definitely an option.

You know you might be onto something Nigel! First of all, I don't recall hearing these beeps before today. Secondly, I took my car in for an oil change & tire rotation this afternoon. Somehow or another the mechanic must have pushed a button for a rear-window shade that goes up and down. I almost never use it; in fact I wasn't sure how the clearance would be if I tried to use it with the rear camera still installed back there. - - So once I noticed it up, I pushed the button to bring it down. It seemed to have rubbed over the dash cam a bit. - - I guess there's a good chance that might have skewed the rear camera cord connection a bit...??? - - I'll be checking that in the morning for sure!!!

And is it safe to say that Viofo or Sandisk/Samsung Cards don't ever have the problem of cutting videos short?
The Viofo cards seem to be excellent, happy to recommend that even for dual 4K use, the Samsung are used by a huge number of people without issue but do seem a bit variable in speed, I think they are fine for dual 1080 resolution, not so sure about 4K, and there are quite a few reports of issues with the Sandisk, even the latest versions, although many, probably most people use them without issue so I'm not sure about Sandisk.

two years ago Lexar cards were good, they sold their memory business to a small Chinese manufacturer, prices, and quality dropped

take website reviews like those with a grain of salt, every card has an affiliate link to Amazon, follow the link and buy and they get a cut

I had done a sd card test a while back at Viofo's suggestion. Here are the results....

Lexar - SD Card - H2Testtw Results

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A A129 / 129 Duo 13
G A129 / 129 Duo 2
Back