Tight quarters in (Toyota) cabin fuse box

katzung

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be my first hardwire (though not my first dash cam), so I'm doing some research while waiting for delivery on my Viofo A229 + HK-4.

I want to wire for parking mode, but I don't want to invest another bundle in a dedicated battery.

It looks like there isn't any room for anything extra with the cover in place on the cabin fuse box in my 2022 Camry. Do people just leave the fuse box cover off after adding taps in situations like this, or are there other power tap tricks I should know about (that don't require any significant vehicle disassembly)?

It's a hybrid and I can barely even see any of the firewall past all the stuff they pack in the engine compartment, so I'm not sure how practical it would be to try to bring something in from that side.

I resolved that problem on my 2011 Highlander by soldering my lead to the leg of a fuse. Took a bit of filling, to first make room for the wire and then get the leg back to the original size and thickness. Wrecked several fuses before I got it right Also had to notch part of the cover where the leads exited. One set of instruction I found just had you wrap/stuff the wire around the leg which I didn't think was kocher.
Good Luck

Also had to notch part of the cover where the leads exited.
If you are going to do that then you might as well cut a fuse shaped hole in the lid and install the fuse tap through the lid?

Someone got an extra lid and used it to extend the height of the original lid.

It is probably fine to run without the lid.

I just left the cover off of mine and stuck it in the glove box so I wouldn’t lose track of it.

Back