Time and Date sync not working on 0926.V2 firmware

dchurch315

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought the SG9665GC on the basis of it setting the date and time automatically from GPS but my unit isn't doing it. Has anyone else had this issue? The GPS is working as it logs the trip but the date and time never get updated. Firmware is SG20150926.V2

Hi thanks for asking. Yes this is normal on the latest shipping batch. We are waiting for Novatek to fix a time sync bug in a pending SDK update. Until then auto time/date sync is temporarily disabled on the SG20150926.V2 firmware. We expect to bring it back for sure, but having a stable/orderly recording was the short term priority work around. For your current firmware, we used the latest SDK to get the Sony Sensor calibration to be protected in a special memory area. This means any future firmware update won't effect the picture quality.

Previous GC customers will have a firmware update soon for the Sony Sensor protected memory area as well. More info:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-update.11806/page-3#post-192995

Last edited:
Hi thanks for asking. Yes this is normal. We are waiting for Novatek to fix a time sync bug in a pending SDK update. Until then auto time/date sync has temporarily disabled on the SG20150926.V2 firmware. We expect to bring it back for sure, but having a stable/orderly recording was the short term priority work around. For your current firmware, we used the latest SDK to get the Sony Sensor calibration to be protected in a special memory area. This means any future firmware update won't effect the picture quality.
If I value the time/date sync more than the picture quality can I revert to an older firmware that has it enabled? If so, which firmware would be the best one to revert to?

Actually I am evaluating dashcams for my company and will be looking to purchase 5-6 dozen cams in the near future, so I don't think the swapping method will work on that scale! However one of the requirements is that employees don't touch any settings on the cam, so the autoset of date and time is a must have. I have a couple of weeks before I'll need to move forward with a purchase so I'll keep an eye on the forums for the new firmware. Other than the date/time sync, the SG9665GC has been my favorite so far.

Actually I am evaluating dashcams for my company and will be looking to purchase 5-6 dozen cams in the near future, so I don't think the swapping method will work on that scale! However one of the requirements is that employees don't touch any settings on the cam, so the autoset of date and time is a must have. I have a couple of weeks before I'll need to move forward with a purchase so I'll keep an eye on the forums for the new firmware. Other than the date/time sync, the SG9665GC has been my favorite so far.

Very good, we'll do our best to meet your timeline. Time/Date sync will be back soon enough :)

there's a bug that can cause auto sync to actually throw the time out to an incorrect value which is obviously more of a problem than not syncing at all so it's off for the moment until such time as that is resolved, it does mean having to set the time when first setting the camera up but that's far less of an issue than having time that is totally incorrect I would think

I should add that even with auto sync if employees were to change the time zone you would still end up with the incorrect time so auto sync is no guarantee, that goes for any camera with auto time sync, all GPS time information is sent as GMT 0 and the offset is manually configured by the camera to show the correct time value, note that at the start and end of summer time you need to adjust the settings also, same goes for all cameras, auto sync or not

Actually I was planning to set all of the cams to GMT all the time - we just want the time/date stamp to be as accurate as possible with minimal setup by the employee.

Back