Time lapse Editor/Viewer

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
If this is the wrong forum then I apologise in advance.

BlackVue recordings in Parking mode are / can be Time Lapse.

While these speeded up recordings are viewable even with normal Windows viewers I'm struggling to find a viewer (or better still editor) that can slow them down to normal speed.
I currently have VideoProc but it's unable to deal with time lapse.

Can anyone recommend a better viewer/editor?

TIA.

I use powerdirector 17 ( now in version 19 ) it can easy slow down video footage, but if you slow down time lapse footage it will be very jerky as it is just taking maybe 10 pictures every second and not the 25 - 30 frames every second true smooth video are made up off, hence why it look as hectic.

With most regular media players you should be able to go thru video 1 frame at the time

Time lapse is made by recording fewer pictures every second but then play them at regular speed, so say your time lapse is recorded at 1 FPS, then there will be 30 seconds of actual time in every 1 second of your video file played at the normal 30 FPS, and so viewing the file played back at 30 FPS it will just be a second to watch but it cover 30 seconds of actual time.

On the other hand Slow motion, you record say 120 FPS but if you again play those at 30 FPS, your 120 frames recorded in 1 second of actual recording will take 4 seconds to be played at 30 FPS and so it is as it time move slower.
If you playback 120 FPS recording at 120 FPS, then your video will just be the 1 second long and appear to be in a normal video / time speed, your eyes will just not be able to register that many frames in a second.

Many cameras and phones for that matter record directly to a slow motion file, but you can also record one second at 120 FPS and then in a editor sow it down as much as you like, 4 X will be really slow then lasting 4 seconds, but you can also just slow the one second 120 FPS down 2 X and then have a 60 FPS output video, that will be smoother but then the output file will just be 2 seconds long and only half speed slow motion.

So to sum up you can slow down slow motion and still have smooth footage, but you can not speed up time lapse footage and make it look good, all you can do is to make every frame appear 2 or more times in a row to stretch the footage out over actual time, then it would be slower but it would still look very bad. as the subject still move a lot in between every frame recorded. BUT ! you will then have more time to see every frame, but then you might as well use a regular media player software and then just skip 1 frame at the time back or forth, and then grab the actual frame you want.

But like i say most media players can play frame by frame by pushing some button, and then when you are at the frame you want you can grab it and save it as a picture pressing some other button.
What buttons to press to advance or go back 1 frame or take a screen grab depend on the player you use.

Last edited:
Personally i use potplayer where the D and F buttons advance or go back 1 frame in videos.

VLC is good for playback of time-lapse files, the +/- keys will speed/slow playback, even 1fps files can be slowed down for playback to slower than real time using this function

All comments appreciated thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 6
Back