Time lapse parking mode for 512gw?

Jacko956

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512gw, 512 rear
I've ordered the 512gw, just waiting for delivery. I intend to have it hard wired. I've read about the time lapse feature and was wondering if this could be incorporated in the parking mode. For example, when the motion sensor detects no movement then it will switch to time lapse and when motion is detected it will switch to normal recording. In this way events that lead up to theft, vandalism or collision can be recorded without taking up too much space on the sd card. Having experienced theft from my wife's car and seen the same happen to other cars whilst parked in a lakedistrict car park I think this would be a very useful feature to have.

Hi @Jacko956

Sorry I've missed this.

This would work if you have it say left in the car park for short periods of time but not for overnight and for longer periods. The auto deletion feature could start overwriting the important data, depending on how many bumps there were and so on. The time leading up to the impact still wouldn't be protected and then would be overwritten.

This isn't something that is available at present but I'll certainly get it fed back to the development team.

Thanks for the reply. I understand. It is the time leading up to the event that is important. I'm assuming the parking mode recording is activated after the event and missing the actual impact. If the camera could continually buffer a 10 - 15sec segment but not actually save it, then on impact start recording as normal but include the 10 or 15 sec segment.

Just thinking of a way to cover the time before the event.

It's actually really interesting that you're thinking of this @Jacko956 as we're trying to improve it too.

We're just testing making the intro quick/different and it should take around a 3rd of the time to power on and begin recording.

Good news for parking mode bumps and so on.

I will get your ideas fed back :)

Last edited:
Continuous power would be needed. As an alternative to a permanant live feed from the fuse box and not flattening the car battery I've been looking at the ravpower battery which has pass through charging. This could be charged via the 12v socket whilst powering the camera. Would using a non nextbase item effect the warrenty though?

Continuous power would result in continuous recording would it not?

Last edited:
Re overwriting of data, even if the camera was recording at say 1 fps, over a 24 hour period, that would only be 48 minutes of video at 30 fps. If this was recorded to it's own folder on the memory card, and it could only overwrite data in the same folder, wouldn't that resolve that problem? That would give you a continuous time lapse of the last 24 hours of parked time, which should cover most situations I would have thought.

Back