Time Lapse

Tech-Yeti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 1080 Duo, 512GW +RC
Is there 2 types of time lapse, or is there an error between website & user guide that doesn't make sense.

(1). On the Nextbase website when reviewing the 512GW it quotes:
"One of the newest features include Time Lapse option for those on longer journeys and special drives, where one still image is taken every minute of the trip"

(2). In the Nextbase 512GW user guide it quotes:
"Time Lapse recording is a technique whereby the frequency at which file frames are captured (frame rate) is lower than that used when playing back the recording.
For example, a recording taken over three minutes would be played back as a 30 second movie".

Now if I'm not mistaken 1 frame every minute as stated above in (1) for a duration of 3 minutes stated in (2), would be played back in less than 1 second, not 30 seconds.

As there is 3 choices in the time lapse setting, OFF, 3 minutes or 2 hours, if (2) is correct, time lapse is recorded at approx 5 frames per second and played back at 30, making a 3 minutes of video last 30 seconds and not as stated as in (1).

Or are the 2 time choices actually 2 different frame rates.

To anyone with a 512GW.
Had a reply from Tiffany @ support.
There is only one frame rate of time lapse, 3 minutes of recording IS played back in 30 seconds

Thank you for posting @Tech-Yeti :) - I haven't had much of a chance to get on here.

Yes the website was incorrect I'm so sorry, it records 5 frames per second and plays them back at 30 frames per second.

There is only one frame rate of time lapse, 3 minutes of recording IS played back in 30 seconds

worth mentioning (for anyone that's not aware) if you're viewing timelapse recordings and finding it difficult due to the speed they playback using VLC you can slow them down by tapping the - key, the more you press the more it slows things down, + key to speed things up again, some players only offer fixed amount of playback, x2, x4, x1/2, x1/4 etc but VLC has quite a lot of adjustment which can slow things way down

Hi, does the timelapse recording loop or does it start a new recording not overwriting the previous footage.

Hi, does the timelapse recording loop or does it start a new recording not overwriting the previous footage.

I can confirm that a 3 min time lapse does record consecutively. It's a bit of a faff but I've used it manually for parking mode when keeping it powered.

To anyone with a 512GW.
Had a reply from Tiffany @ support.
That answers a lot of questions I had about the 30sec recordings, thank you so much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 512GW 6
Back