Time to receive GPS signal

Daniel15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
I bought a SG9665GC v3 over the Black Friday weekend and installed it a few days ago. Overall it's working pretty well. I just had a question about the GPS. How long is it supposed to take to receive a GPS signal? I've noticed that sometimes it's basically instant, while other times it can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. I'm running the latest firmware, and my windshield is not tinted or anything like that.

you have 2 kinds of GPS acquisition scenarios.
1. cold boot, this are the longest / slowest, but generally my GC get a connection in 30 seconds MAX
2. warm boot, this after you have gotten a connection and then stop for a short while, to fill gas or do a little shopping, in this case the GPS should get a GPS fix in seconds ( 10 MAX i would say )

Off course if you are down in a concrete jungle of a town things might be slower.

The V3 are build with the GPS antenna meant for installment on the windscreen, if you have put it on the dashbord instead its upside down and that will hamper GPS.

Some people have not seated their GPS antenna properly in the socket on the camera, try give it a extra push to make sure its all the way down there.

The local layout ( geography and so on ) will have some say in GPS reception for sure.

I guess the instant acquisition I'm seeing is the warm boot. Warm boot works pretty well for me. Is there a reason the cold boot would be so slow? GPS seems to work fine once it gets the GPS fix.

The V3 are build with the GPS antenna meant for installment on the windscreen,
Yeah, I have the windscreen type, and I mounted it on the windscreen at the top right :)

It could be you might have a dud where the GPS antenna are not the right side up inside the antenna housing, at least with the V1 models you could flip the antenna inside and i think its still the same housing.
So maybe some one at the factory have been sleeping.

A Street guardian rep should be with you soon, and take it from here.

GPS cold lock can be longer depending on weather, surrounding buildings, satellites position etc.
Please upload picture where exactly did you mount gps logger.
Does your car have heated windshield or any other special coating?

Please upload picture where exactly did you mount gps logger.
I can do that tonight :) It's at the top right.

Does your car have heated windshield or any other special coating?
Nope. I've got a 2012 Mazda 3. No special coating on the windshield or anything fancy like that.

+5 minutes for a cold boot do sound like a awful long time, when i get a slow cold boot its a minute max.
And the fast / normal warm boot do make it tricky i think.

Anyway this is SG land so it will be fixed, just lean back and watch the cogs in motion :D

I drove in to work this morning to try it out again. It was a bit better, but still took a little over five minutes. Here's a screenshot from Registrator Viewer - You can see that there's no GPS position/speed data from 8:47:45 AM until 8:52:59 AM. Once it got the GPS fix, it worked fine and all the data seems accurate.

chrome_05-09.40.25.png

I've attached some photos to show how I've mounted the GPS. It's the short cable window mount style one.

20171205_084705.jpg 20171205_084708.jpg

Location seem good, i have my antenna the same place just on the other side, and then i have the wire going strait up but that should not matter.

Just received the replacement GPS yesterday. Tested it this morning in similar conditions to Monday (same time of day, similar weather) and it only took 1 minute 40 seconds instead of 5 minutes like the old one. Obviously a single test isn't definitive, but so far so good. Thanks @Street Guardian USA!

Nice :cool: that sound much better than the 5 minutes or more.

Back