Time Zone and Possible Exposure Settings

Mineshaft

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3 c/w GPS/CPL
In my region I’m presently on Eastern Daylight Saving Time.
However, on Sun. Nov. 5th I’ll have to revert back to Eastern Standard Time.
I’ll have to change my Time Zone Setting from -4 Daylight Saving Time
to Time Zone Setting -5 Eastern Standard Time.

We have optional Exposure Settings and due to the fact we have members living around the globe with varying degrees of sunlight emissions there maybe a setting that would meet their needs better. People who live in Arizona, Nevada or Southern California USA have a much brighter and stronger sun than I do in Southern Ontario Canada. Perhaps they may achieve more optimum results using -0.1/3 in the summer months and +0.0 for the winter months.
Those who might consider using this method of setting their Exposure Setting could easily change it the same time as there Time Zone Settings. I’m just thinking how someone might take advantage of the optional Exposure Settings.

This is an Exposure Setting experiment I’m going to try:
*Nov. 5th 2017 change Time Zone from Daylight Saving to Standard Time
Change Time Zone -4 to -5
Exposure Setting -0.1/3 to +0.0 for winter season

*Mar. 11th 2018 change Time Zone from Standard Time to Daylight Saving
Change Time Zone -5 to -4
Exposure +0.0 to -0.1/3 for summer season

Last edited:
Post some side by side pictures with standard and altered exposure

I don’t have before and after clips, just 2 mid-morning after videos.
One clip going from east to west with sunshine on driver’s side.
One clip going west to east with sunshine on passenger side.
I’m not a super tech on the internet so you’ll have to tell me how to upload.

What brought this idea about is I regrettably polished my dash 4 years ago.
We had a mini heat wave less than a week ago and the unusual sun rays were exceptionally strong and bright and the dash really reflected it.
I don’t want to use a dash pad or chemicals to eliminate the reflection.
I’m very satisfied with the A119S performance and didn’t want to make any radical changes. Dash reflection can’t be eliminated but it can be minimized.

So my alternative was to see what optional settings do I have in my A119S.
My dash reflection showed up under this strong sunlight so I decided to try a lighting adjustment with the Exposure Setting. I set it to -0.1/3 from+0.0, went for a drive in an area during the heat wave so I could compare a uniform type of drive going in either direction in the sun. I was pleased with the result of the reduced reflection on my dash and thought this idea might be useful. I don't like to fool with the dash cam, just let it work away.
I thought changing the Exposure the same time as the Time Zone would would be a more appropriate and better way to do things.

Last edited:
I just managed to get one video up for now, it's ok but the original on my computer is far sharper.
The front passenger door window was wide open, that's why you hear all the outside noises.
I hope this comes out reasonably well.
A119S has 29 Menu Settings here is my On or Off Settings:
OFF:
05 OFF - Time Lapse
06 OFF - Motion Detection
10 OFF - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System)
11 OFF - FCWS (Front Collision Warning System)
13 OFF - GPS STAMP (Coordinates, Speed)
17 OFF - LED
23 OFF - Image Rotate
25 OFF - Format Warning
28 OFF - Custom text
ON:
04 ON - WDR (Wide Dynamic Range)
07 ON - GPS
12 ON - DATE STAMP
14 ON - CAMERA MODEL
15 ON - RECORD AUDIO
18 ON - DATE & TIME
OTHER:
01 RESOLUTION – 1920 x 1080p 60fps
02 LOOP RECORDING – 5 minutes
03 EXPOSURE – +0.0 (Winter STD Time) -1/3 (Summer DST Time)
08 SPEED UNITS – kph
09 G SENSOR – Medium as per page 6 of manual.
16 SCREEN SAVER – 3 minutes
19 TIME ZONE – -4 Daylight Saving, change to -5 for Standard Time
20 LANGUAGE – English
21 BEEPING SOUND – All
22 FREQUENCY – 60Hz for North America
24 FORMAT – Alternate & Format SD Cards once a month or before a trip
26 DEFAULT – Original Settings and Firmware
27 CAR NAME – Entered License plate
29 FIRMWARE VERSION – A119S_170622_V1.7

Last edited:
Looks reasonable for youtube so what do you think........... EV normal or adjusted and is the cam slightly off center leaning to the right ??

Looks reasonable for youtube so what do you think........... EV normal or adjusted and is the cam slightly off center leaning to the right ??
I was surprised at how much detail I lost going from my computer video file to YouTube.
I won't be doing a lot of videos, is there similar outfits like YouTube that have better quality?
I didn't measure anything when I placed the dash cam up high/left side of the rear view mirror.
I placed a wooden vertical paper towel holder in the middle of the hood to centre.
Then I used the windshield washer spigots on the hood to level the view.
I just eyeballed and it appears to be reasonably centered and level at the bottom of the screen.
There is some reflection but I can live with that, the Exposure was set it to -0.1/3 from+0.0.
The Resolution was 1920 x 1080 60fps, WDR On CPL used..
I'm satisfied with my dash cam and I don't want to fool around or change from where it's at.

Last edited:
Vimeo is a streaming service similar to YouTube, if you want the best quality though no point streaming as they all re-compress to save space, just upload the raw files to a file host and use a link to download

Hombre and joklin
Thank you for your comments.
I looked at some and I noticed Vimeo seemed to promote quality.
I don't expect to do any uploads unless I have a problem or have something unusual to show.
Just in passing, I noticed Apple uses the 6 element lens in 2 of their new iPad Pro tablets.
It must be a good proven lens system.
I feel Viofo is making a very good outstanding quality A119S dash cam.

Now we are in that time of year when most of us have to change our clocks and A119S Time Zone Settings here is a link to a Time Zone Chart:

Time Zone Map

Just a TIME ZONE reminder.
For many of us tomorrow, SUN. MAR. 11th, we turn our clocks ahead 1 hr to switch over to DST.
For my area I will go to -4 Time Zone and change my Exposure to -1/3.
I will also clean the CPL filter, camera lens and inside of the windshield.
The camera hasn't been removed from the GPS mount on windshield since last Sept.

That's funny.
I suppose if a person was on standby for a flight they would hope the parties would forget to set their clocks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mineshaft A119S 2
L A119S 4
P A119S 16
Back