TimeLapse and auto exposure

StfLA

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi !

I play with my Yi since a few days. It's awesome to get this quality for such a low price.
My goal is to use it for taking pictures in car or on bicycle in timelapse mode, and use them to contribute for OpenStreetMap and Mapillary.

My first problem is that the timelapse mode sets the iso and shutter speed for the first picture and keep these settings even when the light change.
If I start the timelapse in a dark place and move to a sunny place, the pictures are all white.

So is there a script or something other to start a Timelapse with unlocked AE ?

probably possible with a script in loop.. but dont ask me how to do it.. not sure. maybe someone here has done it or knows how to do it.. if there is option to check AE , you could possible put it in loop and test it.. means, you turn on camera and thats it.. script would go in loop and do it all

It's ok with this script :
Code:
sleep 10
#convert sleep to milliseconds hack
#writew 0xC0155712 0x0000
#MAIN LOOP
while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 1
done
You just have to select standard photo mode as default boot mode before inserting the sdcard and reboot the Yi

The sleep to milliseconds hack doesn't work, so I've added '#' in front of the line.
If someone knows a working millisecond hack..

Strangely, AutoExposure is off for a Timelapse with 0.5 and 1 seconds interval, but enabled with a longer interval.
I've put a cloth on the camera, start the timelapse, then remove the cloth :

Xiaomi Yi - Timelapse comparaison.jpg

Both mode are useful, depending on what you want to do, but you can't choose... :-(

I've found a working millisecond hack somewhere on github (firmware 1.2.13):
#millisecond hack
writew 0xC0176C5A 0x0000

But the loop was crashing too often.
I tried to run the loop with an external script to try to find what cause the crash and I don't know why.... but it doesn't crash anymore.

My autoexec.ash is :
Code:
sleep 10
# CALL LOOP
d:/loop.ash
and the loop.ash contains :
Code:
#FAST PHOTO TIMELAPSE
#millisecond hack
writew 0xC0176C5A 0x0000

while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 100
done

With a key shutter press each 100ms, the timelapse speed is about 1.1s per pictures (8MP). Now I need to find a way to get a more accurate capture time.

Strangely, AutoExposure is off for a Timelapse with 0.5 and 1 seconds interval, but enabled with a longer interval.
I've put a cloth on the camera, start the timelapse, then remove the cloth :

View attachment 16325

Both mode are useful, depending on what you want to do, but you can't choose... :-(
And this is why you can never compare this to the GoPro. I had the GP 3 Black until it wouldn't start up anymore unless I put it in the freezer first--I guess 5 years of use took its toll. Not being able to set the exposure to auto unless it's 2 seconds is absurd and the product of a cheaply made knockoff. This was driving me crazy when many of my picts were washed out. Now I know. Well, the GP 6 will be out this year so I guess it's back to that for me--enough of trying to find workarounds for the GhettoPro.

Thanks for the picts--they really helped.

New milliseconds hack for firmware 1.5.12 :

Code:
#FAST PHOTO TIMELAPSE
#millisecond hack
writew 0xC0177F36 0x0000

while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 100
done

New milliseconds hack for firmware 1.5.12 :
Hi , wonder if this will work just by putting in autoexec.ash (with sleep 10 on the top)? What was the reason for calling external loop script from autoexec?

With a key shutter press each 100ms, the timelapse speed is about 1.1s per pictures (8MP). Now I need to find a way to get a more accurate capture time.
Have you managed to improve this? I am planning to use 12MP 16:9 resolution @1s intervals (also for Mapillary)

Tnx

Back