Timelapse parking mode vs event trigger parking mode

Ali Naqvi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just wanted to put this question out as I want to gather feedback on these 2 modes of parking mode on newer more competant dash cams. I have invested in a thinkware F770 and I have used the timelapse mode in parking. I have observed that events triggered in timelapse are recorded in at 1 fps and there is no impact on how the camera records things, it still records the video including the event in 1 fps.

From my knowledge, the Thinkware F770 and DDPAI M6 Plus both support timelapse recording.

I worry that parking mode timelapse may not give us the type of video we need in the way its recorded. Some key activity may be missed in timelapse. The severity of the activity could be either vandalism or a hit and run.
Thoughts please?

Ali

Last edited:
I am sure something could be done from a software point of view.

In my opinion, the best way to handle parking mode recording would be for the camera to continuously record video, however only save videos when an event is trigger. The saved video should have footage from 30 seconds before the event is triggered to 2 mins after.

What are your thoughts?

You will not get 30 seconds before the trigger event, i think 10 seconds or less is what you get with current hardware.

The time the camera then record i think can be set on most cameras.
Say you use motion detect, then the camera will record when motion trigger it, and if thats a bunch of Harris dancers deciding to practice in front of your car, well then the camera will keep recording for as long as they are there + what ever time you have set in the camera after motion stop.

I think it is still video those cameras record and not pictures, so record 30 seconds of that is just 1 second of playback.

Can the F770 only record like that in parking mode ? no way in the menus to change it to record regular 30 FPS video.

Thanks for your input kamkar1. To be able to use parking mode footage most effectively, I would like to have functionality that triggers a recording / video save event when there is an impact to the g-shock sensor. If the g-shock sensor registers an event, video to be saved 10 seconds prior and however long I set up to stop recording.

Would you think that's the best use of this parking mode function?

Lets see what the other pll think, myself i have never used parking mode on any of my cameras, so my personal knowledge on it is limited.

But i would prefer to capture regular 30 FPS video in event mode and not the 1 FPS kind, after all the old footage just get deleted if the memory card is full, so you will never run out of storage unless you park your car for a really long time.

I would also prefer to rely on G-sensor when parked ( maybe microphone in the future ) that should make for a lot less false recordings compared to motion detect.
Just make sure the sensitivity is high enough so maybe a truck or bus passing by not far away trigger a recording.

I did for a short time play with motion and G-sensor on my old Lukas camera, but i found the G-sensor was also on while driving and then i had to enter higher custom values for the g-sensor as it would trigger event recordings all the time when i was driving.

I'd like to save at least a minute's recording leading up to any impact. It's fairly easy from a software perspective - just record continuously and if there has been no impact for the last minute (or whatever is selected) start overwriting the old, unneeded footage.

I suppose you can get a similar effect just by recording continuously, but if only the current+previous+next files are flagged on impact you may not get all the history you need - unless you pull the card in time and retrieve all the relevant stuff. And since you are opting for parking mode it's almost certain at some point you will fill up the card and start overwriting files that aren't protected.

Back