Timestamp off by one hour

My preference would be to leave it in place year 'round.
So, you are incapable of setting your alarm clock an hour earlier in the summer, and wish to force incorrect time on everyone else for your own convenience? If you want to get up earlier in the summer, get up earlier in the summer. Don't try to re-define our measurement system. Noon is supposed to be when the sun is highest in the sky, in the middle of the day. Midnight is supposed to be in the middle of the night. Its right there in the name "Mid Night".
Should we start measuring at 1" so you can feel 1" taller? Daylight savings time is ALWAYS a stupid thing.

I am no fan of daylight savings, it might have been a okay concept in the old world, but we have moved on, and legislation and so on should keep up, which we all know it do not.

A manual switch certainly makes sense.

Daylight savings sucks! I truly hate it! Sometimes, I joke with people and tell them I refuse to go along with it. Some people believe me! :smuggrin:

I have a bunch of digital cameras. None of them have automatic daylight savings time switching. What they do have is a boolean switch that you can manually turn on or off that adjust the recorded time for daylight savings time.
Daylight savings time is an abomination created by committee and altered annually at at least one geographic location each year. It takes a chunk of code that must be updated every time some committee alters it to make it work in computers. I don't expect automatic change over in small devices, but I do expect a manual switch to be able to tell the device that daylight savings time is in effect.
As for item 1, it would be trivial to update the internal clock to the GPS time when GPS is first acquired. You have access to an atomic clock, why wouldn't you update the internal clock.

A manual switch certainly makes sense.

Daylight savings sucks! I truly hate it! Sometimes, I joke with people and tell them I refuse to go along with it. Some people believe me! :smuggrin:

So, you are incapable of setting your alarm clock an hour earlier in the summer,
Actually I'm very capable, unfortunately that puts me 'out of sync' with most of the rest of society. My preference for DST year 'round is based on the easily understood concept that an hour of 'extra' daylight in the evening is a lot more useful than in the morning. You're free to disagree but that's my reason for my preference.

As for item 1, it would be trivial to update the internal clock to the GPS time when GPS is first acquired. You have access to an atomic clock, why wouldn't you update the internal clock.
they do already

they do already
They may update the internal clock, but not the battery backed up clock. This has been my experience.

there's only one system clock, can you explain what you mean?
Most computers have a battery backed up clock that continues to run when the computer is off. On boot, the computer reads the battery backed up clock and loads a runtime clock. Once it completes booting and accesses the internet (equevelent to the GPS in the case of a dashcam) it accesses a time server and updates the runtime clock again. This can lead to a block of time where files are incorrectly timestamped in the time between booting and accessing the time server (or GPS).

Edit: I just did a test. Yes, once the camera has access to GPS it does update the internal battery backed up clock. This must have been in a software update at some point as I remember having to manually set the internal clock correctly to not get incorrect time stamps. I tested this by manually setting the clock incorrect, recording some video without the gps, unplugging the camera, re attaching the GPS, recording more until the time and date corrected itself, then removing the camera from the GPS, and powering it without the GPS to see that it kept the correct date and time.
Sorry for reporting out of date information.

Last edited:
I dont think the clock settings get updated to the settings page you enter if you want to set the clock manual, so it would probably always read 00:00:00 and not sure about date.
TBH i have never been to the manual time/date part of a dashcam menu, at least not what i can recall.

I dont think the clock settings get updated to the settings page you enter if you want to set the clock manual, so it would probably always read 00:00:00 and not sure about date.
TBH i have never been to the manual time/date part of a dashcam menu, at least not what i can recall.
Since I just ran this test, I can tell you that once the camera connects to the GPS, it updates the time and date, and this is reflected in the manual time setting menu. It shows the correct time and date after having been updated by the GPS, even when the GPS is no longer connected.

Now i a curious. :)

Since I just ran this test, I can tell you that once the camera connects to the GPS, it updates the time and date, and this is reflected in the manual time setting menu. It shows the correct time and date after having been updated by the GPS, even when the GPS is no longer connected.
yes that's how it should do, if it wasn't doing that in an earlier firmware version it must have been a bug

Like at least one poster said, I had to change timezone by one hour due to DST. I'm in GMT-5 but had to change to GMT-4 to have correct time. In the fall without DST, I'll switch back to GMT-5.

Back