Tinted Window

mrted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm looking at dual camera dash cams. My rear windows are all tinted to the darkest black possible. I can see out them just fine, but I wonder how much this will impact the rear camera. Also, I'm curious if anyone has seen or had experience with a rear cam that mounts on the license plate with lights and recording capability.

Thanks,

mrted

Night time footage on a rear cam will be greatly affected by dark tinted windows. Daytime less so. Bumping the exposure up might help a little bit.

I used to run two separate cameras and my back windows were factory tinted. I had to crank the EV up just a little and it did okay during the day time, but of course night time is a little rough just as Gurkha9 mentioned.

The back windows of my brothers Firebird are pretty dark. I'll have to see what it looks like mounting a camera back there.

As luck would have it I also have a Peak PKC0BU4 Wireless Back-up Camera installed in one of my vehicles.

As jokiin said my camera is plate mounted and as its name implies is only really good for backing up. It's only good enough to see big objects like cars and poles and even then the image can be a bit blurry.

Mine does not have lights and i am guessing much like the useless IR lights on the cheaper DashCams that the lights on a BackUp Camera would not be of much use. It also only gets lighting at night from the reverse lights being on and only powers on when the reverse lights get power.

So besides the camera quality being poor to try to do this yourself now with currently available stuff that i am aware of at least.

You would have to install the back up camera wire it to constant power toss the stock screen and plug it in to a device that can record the video output and not just display it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I'm looking at dual camera dash cams. My rear windows are all tinted to the darkest black possible. I can see out them just fine, but I wonder how much this will impact the rear camera. Also, I'm curious if anyone has seen or had experience with a rear cam that mounts on the license plate with lights and recording capability.

Thanks,

mrted

I was thinking long time about rear windows tinting-issue and only solution using available dash-cameras I found:
Mobius DIY built-in into rear centre brake light

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some samples for you to get an idea. I think the back window is %5. It's pretty dark. If need be I might be able to pull out my Camaro in a few weeks and do a compassion. (My Camaro hatch glass is untinted)
Vico WF1
(The green in the corner is a work jacket)

G1W

The WF1 was set to +1EV with Night Enhance on High
The G1W was set to +1/3 had its sort of kind of WDR, but not really set to on.

The reason they are not the same exact footage is because i only had the two cameras with me, The car only has two cig plugs, and i always have a camera up front.

Here are some samples for you to get an idea. I think the back window is %5. It's pretty dark. If need be I might be able to pull out my Camaro in a few weeks and do a compassion. (My Camaro hatch glass is untinted)
Vico WF1
(The green in the corner is a work jacket)

G1W

The WF1 was set to +1EV with Night Enhance on High
The G1W was set to +1/3 had its sort of kind of WDR, but not really set to on.

The reason they are not the same exact footage is because i only had the two cameras with me, The car only has two cig plugs, and i always have a camera up front.

Hey what kind of mount did you use for the rear window???

Thanks

Hey what kind of mount did you use for the rear window???

Thanks
Stock suction cup angled because the back hatch glass slopes

The WF1 and G1W both use the same style T slot bracket

Back