Tinted windows

Cooper82

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got my rear window tinted and the quality of the video has been affected. Is it a bad film installed or expected compromise with tinted windows?
after
4022E745-DAA5-4C72-B87F-C08B95F4E6D5.jpeg
Before
9B7D8BA6-9281-4436-89B7-8263D5D275E7.jpeg

Windows tint can have several effects on dashcam footage.

1: it block light ( this you can often compensate for with the EV settings for that camera )
2: if the camera have a CPL filter and look thru tint you can get double trouble and get a rainbow effect.

Windows tint can have several effects on dashcam footage.

1: it block light ( this you can often compensate for with the EV settings for that camera )
2: if the camera have a CPL filter and look thru tint you can get double trouble and get a rainbow effect.
I can notice the same effect when looking from outside so it is not just the camera.

I got my rear window tinted and the quality of the video has been affected. Is it a bad film installed or expected compromise with tinted windows?
after
View attachment 56446
Before
View attachment 56447

I posted about this just yesterday in a different thread about the same issue. Here's a post of mine from a year or so ago that will enlighten you if you follow the links. If you remove your CPL the rainbow effect will disappear.

This issue of rainbows caused by CPLs when used with tinted windows comes up so often I think we need a sticky about it.

Your issue looks a bit different than the links below because it is your rear window. Although subtle you'll also notice the rainbow effect in the upper right corner of your image.

Rainbow on image after tint

CPL Filter issue?

Rainbow-like reflection in cam?

Photosync window tint and CPL filter

I can notice the same effect when looking from outside so it is not just the camera.

You wouldn't happen to have been wearing polarized sunglasses would you? :cool:

Last edited:
Sunglasses would be linear polarising. So linear polarising may be ok.

I don't have tinting so can't comment, but use linear polarising on my cameras to reduce reflections. There are no other issues with the linear polarising filters on my Garmin 56 cameras.

The problem is really more an issue for dash cam users with circular polarizers. Also, the issue isn't always caused by window tint but can also manifest from glass tempering which can vary from vehicle to vehicle or from side windows or rear. Front windshields are different because they are laminated glass. Linear polarized sunglasses may or may not make a difference depending on the heat stress angles from tempering. Sometimes you'll just see lines or squares in grid patterns in the glass when wearing sunglasses but no rainbows. I don't have tinting either so I'm not 100% sure about rainbows but I've seen grid patterns in the glass.

grid.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes you'll just see lines or squares in grid patterns in the glass when wearing sunglasses but no rainbows. I don't have tinting either so I'm not 100% sure about the sunglasses things.
you still get rainbows with polarised glasses at certain angles, a friend has an Audi Q7 and his glasses black out the LCD display in the dash

Last edited:
you still get rainbows with polarised glasses at certain angles, a fried has an Audi Q7 and his glasses black out the LCD display in the dash

Yeah, that's basically what I meant when I said, "Linear polarized sunglasses may or may not make a difference depending on the heat stress angles from tempering". I don't see rainbows but like I said sometimes I do see certain effects in my truck windows when wearing polarized glasses. Seems to depend on the angle I'm viewing the glass from. I've had LCDs go black on me too. I have an LCD clock in my dash board I can't read at all with sunglasses on.

Last edited:
For dash cam use there should be no difference in using a linear versus circular polarizing filter (I've used both with no observable difference) assuming the filter is oriented properly for both. The circular version is necessary to maintain the AF function in those cameras that use mirrors in the light path (SLRs, dSLRs, etc.) as part of the focusing mechanism.

Things happen in the 6 hours i have been in my bed tossing and turning, lets hope me operating heavy equipment at my friends place in a few hours can be dont while half asleep.

Got out of bed at 7 yesterday morning.
The tint clearly do something judging bu the rainbow glare on the BMW several places and it would also seem a van further back

Thank you very much from all your responses.
I though it was just a bad window film but I assume it cannot be avoided. The effect is only noticeable between the lines in the rear window. I assume that if I attempt to get the front windscreen tinted it will be the same issue?

Thank you very much from all your responses.
I though it was just a bad window film but I assume it cannot be avoided. The effect is only noticeable between the lines in the rear window. I assume that if I attempt to get the front windscreen tinted it will be the same issue?

A custom black dash mat can often perform even better than a CPL. They make them for both front dash boards and rear decks. It would be something to consider for fixing the rainbow effect in the rear as well as the front if you still want to add a tint while eliminating your CPLs.

Here's an old image I often use to demonstrate how well a dash mat can work to eliminate windscreen reflections. I had a "Pay & Display" parking voucher on my dashboard from earlier in the day which you can see reflected in the glass but the dash mat I have installed eliminated all other reflections. There is no CPL in use. (no window tint either) If you look closely you can see my defroster vent reflected where there is a cut-out for it but it is confined to an area on the hood (bonnet) of the vehicle where it doesn't affect the image.

dashmat.jpg

dashmats.jpg

Last edited:
A custom black dash mat can often perform even better than a CPL. They make them for both front dash boards and rear decks. It would be something to consider for fixing the rainbow effect in the rear as well as the front if you still want to add a tint while eliminating your CPLs.

Here's an old image I often use to demonstrate how well a dash mat can work to eliminate windscreen reflections. I had a "Pay & Display" parking voucher on my dashboard from earlier in the day which you can see reflected in the glass but the dash mat I have installed eliminated all other reflections. There is no CPL in use. (no window tint either) If you look closely you can see my defroster vent reflected where there is a cut-out for it but it is confined o an area on the hood (bonnet) of the vehicle where it doesn't affect the image.

View attachment 56450

View attachment 56451
Not quite sure I can get a dashmat for my particular vehicle. I cannot find UK retailers selling those and there is no space to put a rear dashmat cover as there is no cover at the back. It has been removed to get the dogs in.

Not quite sure I can get a dashmat for my particular vehicle. I cannot find UK retailers selling those and there is no space to put a rear dashmat cover as there is no cover at the back. It has been removed to get the dogs in.

It can be a bit difficult to find suitable right hand drive dash mats but they are indeed available. I recently discovered that AliExpress has a large selection. Maybe you can find one?

Morning everyone,
I removed the CPL filter and there is an improvement however the light issue is only across one horizontal line on the rear windscreen.
8DF79D11-FB67-45FA-81F5-8B4D8A8B57AC.jpeg
9BB8BFB2-2C98-4A46-B51F-2B83C47DAFB8.jpeg

Morning everyone,
I removed the CPL filter and there is an improvement however the light issue is only across one horizontal line on the rear windscreen.
View attachment 56453
View attachment 56454

This almost looks like some sort of optical flaw with your lens. Try cleaning the lens carefully and see if there is any change. Clean your rear window too while you're at it. Can't hurt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H U1000 3
Back