TIP: How to connect to VicoViewer via WiFi and use LTE/4G/3G data at the same time!

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Here's a trip/trick wanted to share.

I found a way to be connected to the WF1 via WiFi and be able to use LTE/4G Data at the same time. (VicoViewer still works at the same time)

I stole the Idea from the BlackView trick I found below. ( I used IP 10.1.0.100 though instead)

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2013/05/16/ohgizmo-review-the-dr500gw-hd-dashboard-camera/

"And finally, the biggest issue comes with the WiFi connectivity. If you’re trying to read the card in an environment with several other WiFi signals around, transmission speeds can sometimes crawl. What’s more, since the dashcam doesn’t have an Internet connection, once you sit in your car your phone will tend to automatically connect to its WiFi network and altogether disconnect from the net, with no user intervention. This can be annoying if you’re not aware you don’t have data access… but there’s an unofficial workaroud: In the iPhone, “Go into Wi-Fi Settings and tap the blue arrow against BlackVue connection, enter the settings you see in the image attached (IP Address: Static; IP Address: 192.168.8.2 (10.1.0.100); Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0). You’ll now be connected to your dash camera as well as getting data over cellular.” In practice however, we found that this seems to make the connectivity issues worse: videos will often stop midway, and sometimes the camera will even crash. So, feel free to use this trick, but be aware that your mileage may vary."

Here's my screen shot:

KcA41ekl.png

I haven't experienced any issues at all using this trick. (unlike what the BlackView trick said to watch out for)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Firmware 1.51 added a new feature. You will see new WiFi broadcast options in the menu.

1) WiFi Alway on
2) Turn off WiFi after 3 minutes
3) Turn off WiFi after 5 minutes
4) WiFi Off by default.

If option 2, 3, or 4 is picked, the behavior of the physical button changes. If the WiFi is off a long 2 second button press will turn WiFi back on.

If you don't connect very often, option 4 is the best.

Here's a trip/trick wanted to share.

I found a way to be connected to the WF1 via WiFi and be able to use LTE/4G Data at the same time. (VicoViewer still works at the same time)

I stole the Idea from the BlackView trick I found below. ( I used IP 10.1.0.100 though instead)

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2013/05/16/ohgizmo-review-the-dr500gw-hd-dashboard-camera/

"And finally, the biggest issue comes with the WiFi connectivity. If you’re trying to read the card in an environment with several other WiFi signals around, transmission speeds can sometimes crawl. What’s more, since the dashcam doesn’t have an Internet connection, once you sit in your car your phone will tend to automatically connect to its WiFi network and altogether disconnect from the net, with no user intervention. This can be annoying if you’re not aware you don’t have data access… but there’s an unofficial workaroud: In the iPhone, “Go into Wi-Fi Settings and tap the blue arrow against BlackVue connection, enter the settings you see in the image attached (IP Address: Static; IP Address: 192.168.8.2 (10.1.0.100); Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0). You’ll now be connected to your dash camera as well as getting data over cellular.” In practice however, we found that this seems to make the connectivity issues worse: videos will often stop midway, and sometimes the camera will even crash. So, feel free to use this trick, but be aware that your mileage may vary."

Here's my screen shot:

KcA41ekl.png

I haven't experienced any issues at all using this trick. (unlike what the BlackView trick said to watch out for)
UPDATE:

Firmware 1.51 added a new feature. You will see new WiFi broadcast options in the menu.

1) WiFi Alway on
2) Turn off WiFi after 3 minutes
3) Turn off WiFi after 5 minutes
4) WiFi Off by default.

If option 2, 3, or 4 is picked, the behavior of the physical button changes. If the WiFi is off a long 2 second button press will turn WiFi back on.

If you don't connect very often, option 4 is the best.

Hi street guardian USA,
I am currently using a new dashcam - IRoad V9.
I have a problem to connect to 4G data network when I am in my car if my phone is wifi enabled.
During my previous experience in vico wf1. I encountered the same problem and was resolved with your help.
Are you able to assis this time for Iroad v9?

Hello, I'm not familiar with the Iroad v9 unfortunately. Does your seller or the factory provide any support?

Hi folks,
I am still hoping that someone out there can help me to overcome the wifi connectivity on my Iroad V9 dashcam issue which result to no data access of my iphone.
I am looking at the method which BlackVue and Vico have tried. The unofficial workaround by replace some Magic Numbers on the IP address and Subnet Mask.
Anyone know how do they obtained those Magic numbers?

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 8
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G WF1 39
Back