Tire got slashed by neighbor. What should I buy?

J0D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello.
Most of the dash cams I am checking out do not seem practical for surveillance on vandalism.
I need something with rechargeable batteries, long-life span for power (as I 'would' like to get 8 hours of sleep every night), and more than 140 degree angles.. even rotating if possible, with more than one camera as well.

Any suggestions? Our parking lot is out doors with no security gates. Our apartment has no windows facing the lot, and this neighbor may get evicted due to other complaints made. I foresee more problems when this occurs.

Alright. :(
So we basically have to find a 'power outlet' outside, in a 'remote location' or behind the bushes somewhere.. to have a security camera?

If you get a Panorama G and add this pan/tilt swivel mount you could aim it where you want after you park. (nice wide angle, low light sensitivity as well)

Add a low voltage cut-off hard wire kit, and you can operate in motion detection/automatic parking mode with the Panorama G

This way you use the battery of your car, and since the Panoraam Zoran CPU uses such low power, it should last for days/all week no problem.

You can pull out even more detail by the way via this trick:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...h-more-details-from-night-video-footage.8255/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also latest firmware supports 256GB SD cards (formatted natively inside the camera, easy breezy) so you have PLENTY of storage space options.

JOD, it sounds like a battery powered external security system might be more useful rather than a dash camera.

Have a look at some of the various trail cameras available, they might be suitable. They have a battery life of weeks if not months, various models have low glow or invisible infrared flashes, some are selectable between video and still images, and steel security housings are available for most of the popular brands.

I second the trail camera idea if you can't put a real security camera. Trail cameras are great for catching activity in remote areas, even at night and have a much better motion detect system than any dashcam. Prices are very reasonable.

Last edited:
Visit a site like Cabelas or Bass Pro. They have motion detection game cameras. They are also cam-pat. The one concern is theft. (grin) Have your tallest friend reach as high as he can. Mount the camera above that. As long as you mask lens and sensors, you can paint them to match what you mount them on. They are built for bad weather, cold and hot, and being left for long periods. I'm sure they have sites like this for ratings of those cameras.

Another resource. Look in the yellow pages under "spy store". Lots of surveillance gear, there.

But remember. Cameras won't PREVENT vandalism. They are useful only in assisting police to apprehend and prosecute. If the police and prosecutors consider these events to be "beneath their radar", all you can do is watch your tires being slashed. This condition exists due to sociopolitical reasons. If the police and prosecutors are on an anti-vandalism tear, then, SCORE! Roll the dice. You gotta play to win. Best of luck.

A big GUN
CAUTION on the gun thing. In most jurisdictions, you can use a gun for defense only inside of your home, if the nutcase is inside your home, too. Most define going outside to be hunting the perp, which is frowned upon. Only Police allowed to do that. Could land you in prison, doing hard time. Now, if the car is in your garage, that's considered in your home.

Now, maces, broadswords, morningstars, battleaxes, baulks of oak, pitchforks, war hammers, all these are not so restricted. (grin) Ironically, brass knuckles ARE. Except in two jurisdictions, one being, I think, San Diego, baseball bats are OK.

The only question you need to ask yourself, is the condition of my car worth my life or my freedom? If not, take pictures, instead.

But remember. Cameras won't PREVENT vandalism. They are useful only in assisting police to apprehend and prosecute. If the police and prosecutors consider these events to be "beneath their radar", all you can do is watch your tires being slashed. This condition exists due to sociopolitical reasons. If the police and prosecutors are on an anti-vandalism tear, then, SCORE! Roll the dice. You gotta play to win. Best of luck.

Agree with this statement. And, life itself is punitive enough. We all get repaid someway, someday!:(

The greatest fear any nutcase holds is to be venting his rage, and have his victim be another nutcase. Death usually results.

I had my tires slashed, once. It was a teenager who felt he had to prove something. He slashed over 40 tires in one night. The police told me about this, but never identified him. No insurance payment, as it was under the deductible amount, and lost time from work. He slashed TWO tires, not just one, so I had to go buy tires. Never heard about the disposition of the case. Didn't dig. I mean, WHY?

Even if I had had pictures, it would not have prevented it, and it would have added but little to the case. Juvenile court. In Florida, unless it is a capital crime, the max sentence is 21 days. One tire or 40, 21 days. Break your window, or break in to your home and break everything you own, 21 days. It's officially called, "Malicious Mischief". And good luck looking for recompense from the parents. Costs you more to bring the case.

So much insanity. So many people hurting each other.

Here kids ( 15 and under ) capitalize on the fact they can not be put to justice, thats why i pray for a couple of them trying to rob me :mad: then i will give them what i got when i was a punk and got caught back in the good old days.
Perhaps they will break out the knives again, but the 1 and only time a group of kids did that to me was not good for them, and the little that happened to me i could sew up myself.

I did once catch 2 kids trying to steal my car, only got hold of one of them, but i am pretty sure he will think twice before braking the law again.
Funny how fear & pain can make pll reach the highest notes :D

As i have allways said ( even when i was a crook myself ) dont do the crime if you cant do the time or handle the consequences.

You were lucky! God's hand was in that. So many "inner city" youth packing 9mm these days, even if they are convicted felons. ;) So much for "gun control.

Gun control would be as effective in preventing criminals from having guns as the drug laws are at keeping out heroin and meth.

But, back to crook surveillance, one by one, the Florida counties are seeing their deputies wearing body cams. Don't know the brand, but it's the "camera on a string" type, with the CPU in a little box in a pocket. Because they're government agencies, failed units are no problem. The taxpayers will replace 'em. Should put an end to the allegations of a lack of professionalism. Bet a lot of resisting arrest convictions result. Some jurisdictions demand at least one camera operator on "positive entry" busts. These little cameras are everywhere.

"1984", George Orwell, 1949. Read it. You'll LOVE it!

Back