To use a suction mount or not with the A129

But logic dictates that if something very sticky cures, it becomes harder to remove.
Actually, 3M pads don't cure any more than a Post-it note cures. If you can remove them without damage then they can be reused. They do increase their grip over the first view days due to removal of air from the contact surface.

I'm not sure what you think the problem with the tint may be, unless you mount the camera near the edge of the tint then it is not going to be possible to pull the tint off the glass, and if you did then there would be a vacuum under it which would pull it back into place. The only real risk is from using sharp tools, which is unnecessary.

Actually, 3M pads don't cure any more than a Post-it note cures. If you can remove them without damage then they can be reused. They do increase their grip over the first view days due to removal of air from the contact surface.

I'm not sure what you think the problem with the tint may be, unless you mount the camera near the edge of the tint then it is not going to be possible to pull the tint off the glass, and if you did then there would be a vacuum under it which would pull it back into place. The only real risk is from using sharp tools, which is unnecessary.

The 3M is a very strong adhesive. If dental floss works to remove the mount without damaging the tint than fantastic. Tint is merely a film thats heated up and adheres to the glass. And if not careful can definitely be damaged by using a tool to remove the adhesive.

As far as curing, yes, after a period of time the adhesive settles and becomes more firmly planted. Again, if it can be taken off with dental floss without pulling up the tint, then great.

I prefer suction cup because I'm not willing to take any chances, whatever they may be, that the mount damages the tint.

The 3M is a very strong adhesive. If dental floss works to remove the mount without damaging the tint than fantastic. Tint is merely a film thats heated up and adheres to the glass. And if not careful can definitely be damaged by using a tool to remove the adhesive.

As far as curing, yes, after a period of time the adhesive settles and becomes more firmly planted. Again, if it can be taken off with dental floss without pulling up the tint, then great.

I prefer suction cup because I'm not willing to take any chances, whatever they may be, that the mount damages the tint.

You'll find people using heat shrinking to put on tint...Not sure professionals do that one, but this is one method of applying tint.

You'll find people using heat shrinking to put on tint...Not sure professionals do that one, but this is one method of applying tint.
the only time you'll see them using heat is to get some flexibility out of the material for dealing with curved glass, it has nothing to do with the actual application

Did not know that. So how exactly is tint adhered to glass? Adhesive?

Regardless of application, i presume tint is still susceptible to tool marks, tears, etc associated with removing antyhing adhering to it

there's a backing on the film which is removed, the window has soapy water applied, stick the film on and then squeegee the water out, I'm sure there must be YouTube videos out there that show the process
Regardless of application, i presume tint is still susceptible to tool marks, tears, etc associated with removing antyhing adhering to it
for sure

Soapy water and a squeegee. Requires some serious skill to do it right.

not really, very easy to learn, I used to do it as a job when I was a kid

Last I got the front windshield done, looked like it takes a lot of skill. Must take a lot of practice to get to a master level, seen many really bad tint jobs here.

bad jobs happen here too, no argument there
Soapy water and a squeegee. Requires some serious skill to do it right.

First tint job left hair, creases, etc. Got refund went elsewhere. It definitely takes practice and patience. Maybe not a university degree, as it isn't rocket science, but lots and lots of practice. I've seen DIY tint jobs where there are large bubbles, creases, etc.

Yeah with the cramped space and windshield angle it's much harder than doing a standard window. I've seen a gym's windows getting done, looked fairly straight forward.

I was looking for a suction cup mount for when travelling so I could take my A129 and use it in a rental. Viofo has a suction with the mount for the A119 but they said nothing is planned for the A129. Glad to see this mount. Thank you

I was looking for a suction cup mount for when travelling so I could take my A129 and use it in a rental. Viofo has a suction with the mount for the A119 but they said nothing is planned for the A129. Glad to see this mount. Thank you

Glad to be of assistance. Others said you can mount direct to the tint. Either way, I used that suction cup and am happy.

I have another one in a second vehicle (no tint) mounted to windshield itself. Without tint, the picture is definitely a bit more clear at night.

Back