Today in Texas

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I actually was lucky and managed to miss 'bad' traffic near houston....but stuff still happens.
:)

Texas finally has a 'texting' law that will be implemented next month, but they have other problems.

I actually was lucky and managed to miss 'bad' traffic near houston....but stuff still happens.

Texas finally has a 'texting' law that will be implemented next month, but they have other problems.

Relocated Aussies who forgot where they were? :D

The white car failed to move over to the right to let the SUV go on. Probably intentional. That's what sets off some road rage incidents.

I normally do drive in the left lane on a highway like that. Driving in Texas 50+ years. Law says you're supposed to get over so you don't impede traffic. If there's no traffic to impede I will choose the smoother lane, usually the left. If I see someone coming up from behind I signal and move over to let them go by. I am usually driving slightly faster than the traffic anyway. Unless I am on a freeway. Then I stay in the next to the far right lane in case of wrong-way drivers trying to find an exit along the center guard rail, or stopped traffic ahead so I can make a quick exit.

Watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read "Left Lane For Passing Only." These signs let you know that the left lane on a divided highway is not a "fast" lane; it is a passing lane.

After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/share-road/highway-driving.html

Those flashing arrow things are also just a 'suggestion', and the road is also smoother around them.

Here's a pickup, who was determined to speed through a work zone, but found a cement mixer in his way.

Texas has the highest highway fatality rates in the US. They usually have a electric signs on the highway with the year to date tally. Not seen one recently, but guessing they're over 2000 so far for 2017.

It's funny when you go through Montana and the same type of sign says '57'.

Not that dying on the road is funny.

Those flashing arrow things are also just a 'suggestion', and the road is also smoother around them.

Yeah, I really love those guys that have to use every last inch of a lane that's going away - NOT! (n)

Washington State recently came up with some pretty serious Texting laws. ( a mont
h or so ago)
They've already backed down quite a bit.

The original law made it illegal to eat or drink while driving.
You can imagine how that went over?
Now it's OK to drink, but not eat. I imagine morning commute time is crawling with criminals in Seattle.

As evidenced by one of the previous replies "Law says you're supposed to get over so you don't impede traffic. If there's no traffic to impede I will choose the smoother lane, usually the left. "

The law is not supposed to be an "if it pleases me" or "doesn't slow me down" proposition. This is the same mentality that people use to justify blowing through red lights and stop signs when it appears that there's no opposing traffic. There could very well be a drunk driver with no headlights at the next intersection to remind them that it only looked safe. Unless of course you're in Russia, where this appears to be the normal everyday behavior with the predictable results posted to YouTube for our amusement.

KuoH

That's what bothers me. There are plenty of rules, but little enforcement.
(and people will swear they are not necessary, or don't exist.)

I hate to push this too much, since on calm days, having these people clog up the left lane makes my life more peaceful in the right lane.

It's when there is a string of 'lefties' all feeling they have the right to be there, and should be the one at the head of the pack......chaos ensues.

As evidenced by one of the previous replies "Law says you're supposed to get over so you don't impede traffic. If there's no traffic to impede I will choose the smoother lane, usually the left. "

The law is not supposed to be an "if it pleases me" or "doesn't slow me down" proposition.
KuoH

Impede: obstruct, hamper, hold back, etc . Not doing that. I will drive where I am comfortable, and yield to faster traffic like I am supposed to do. Ever see the signs that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right"?
texas-moveover-slow.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.txdot.gov/driver/share-road/highway-driving.html

"Watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read "Left Lane For Passing Only." These signs let you know that the left lane on a divided highway is not a "fast" lane; it is a passing lane."

KuoH
This is just another example of politicians writing in 'ambiguous' mode so nobody knows exactly what is being said and lawyers stay employed. The next sentence in the same section says:

Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.

This implies that driving in the left lane is OK unless you're causing a 'problem'. :confused:

There are times and places where I stay in the left lane for various valid reasons, but I will not impede the flow of traffic there. I'll get over or I'll speed up until I can get over. I watch for faster traffic behind me so I can be clear of them before they arrive. I don't have the right to unnecessarily impede someone else's progress :)

Since I'm usually the slowest traffic on the highway because I'm doing close to the speed limit, I'm usually in the right lane. People think speed limits are a suggestion here in SC, not a law :( And we've got a few complete fools in many of our rednecks who think that they have the right to go whatever speed they want in whatever lane they want because they're driving a pick-up truck; they intentionally go slow in the left lane and stay there :mad: Many of the cars on rubber-band tires and 24" wheels do that too. Also big offenders with this are imported mini-van Moms and the 'too-old-to-drive' set :oops: Usually a 'low-flying' dump truck or semi will 'educate' them at close range to their rear bumper giving everyone else a good laugh watching the fools poop themselves :ROFLMAO:

Laws prohibiting passing on the right (undertaking) are just plain stupid. Knowing the above does happen, even though it shouldn't, clearly show that sometimes it is the safer thing to do. Laws prohibiting driving in the left lane unless passing are equally stupid as long as you are not impeding someone else for being there. Why would you require everyone to go single-file risking a chain-reaction crash when there is plenty of room to do otherwise?

All it takes is some common sense and being observant of the world around you to avoid most problems on the road and in life elsewhere too :cool: Too bad that we can't legislate that into existence for it certainly isn't happening on it's own with most people :whistle:

Phil

That's one way to see it, which is probably how many people try to rationalize what they're doing. However, just because you're not in violation of one part of the law, does that mean that you can be in direct violation of the other? If that is the case, then why is the first part even needed if we can simply just rely on the second? I tend to think that it is there for a good reason, such as when the left lane hugger is perhaps having a moment of contemplation and forgets to check the mirror while being approached by another vehicle. We can try to rationalize away our behavior away, but I'm fairly confident that those parts of the law are there for a good reason. Just like the ones about stop signs, red lights and right turn on red after stopping are all there for good reasons, but are ignored on a daily basis by many who think it's just too inconvenient.

KuoH

This is just another example of politicians writing in 'ambiguous' mode so nobody knows exactly what is being said and lawyers stay employed. The next sentence in the same section says:

Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.

This implies that driving in the left lane is OK unless you're causing a 'problem'. :confused:

Back