Toronto Police - no lane change approaching Emer vehicle

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2

Clock on Dash cam is wrong. Happened on May 10, 2016

Notice a Toronto Police officer driving on the East bound 401 between Highway 400 and Keele. Perhaps driving between two places as the 400 series highways are monitored and enforced by the Ontario Provincial Police.

He approaches a tow truck and does not make a lane change or slow down.

from http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/emergency-vehicles.shtml

Approaching a stopped emergency vehicle

"Slow Down, Move Over": If you see an emergency vehicle or a tow truck with its amber lights flashing stopped facing the same direction you are going, slow down and pass with caution.

If the road has two or more lanes, you must leave a lane of space between you and the emergency vehicle, if you can do so safely.

Penalties

Drivers can be charged if they don't slow down, or move over when safe to do so, near emergency vehicles or tow trucks that are stopped with sirens or lights flashing.

DUH - cops and tow truck drivers are above the law! at least, they must be since they sure as hell act that way!

i have a clip of a cop passing me, and then a radar speed sign/box telling him to SLOW DOWN. :rolleyes:

Few days later, a similar event happened with a tow truck, but with regular vehicles

Included the two other clips I have on lack of compliance with the new law

I wish we had a similar rule over here. I try to change lanes when possible, but because most people don't take the situation seriously they make no effort to allow it.
Scares the hell out of me seeing someone working on a vehicle with their back to the traffic lane and cars whizzing past inches away.

It's classic "Oh, it'll be OK" thinking. Well sometimes it doesn't work out OK. :(

We had a few fatalities with police officers before it became law here. I can only hope your government is pro-active as opposed to re-active on this matter.

It's required in Michigan, change lane or slow down.

About the wording in Ontario, if a tow truck is facing the "wrong way", would it be OK to not change lane? :D I'd sooner not test that one, getting arrested in foriegn country can get expensive for me even if Canada is only about 50 miles from where I live.

About the wording in Ontario, if a tow truck is facing the "wrong way", would it be OK to not change lane? :D I'd sooner not test that one, getting arrested in foriegn country can get expensive for me even if Canada is only about 50 miles from where I live.

Another case of poorly worded Ontario legislation. In 2010 when my wife and stayed around to see if someone was OK in accident and give an statement, the fire truck closed a number of lanes. The emergency vehicles in the west bound lanes, were accross a number of lanes to protect the accident scene

the leglistation also states at one point:
Slow Down, Move Over": If you see an emergency vehicle or a tow truck with its amber lights flashing stopped facing the same direction you are going, slow down and pass with caution.
at another point
Drivers can be charged if they don't slow down, or move over when safe to do so, near emergency vehicles or tow trucks that are stopped with sirens or lights flashing.

Someone in my youtube video states the officer was under no obligation to slow down or change lanes as the light bar was not flashing (but the hazards were) and by amber lights - they mean the light bar.

The word amber should be removed as the emergency lights of any emergency vehicle are never a dark orange yellow colour.

I never noticed before, but looking at the clip shot may 13, tow trucks have amber lights. Still if a tow truck operator neglects to activate the lights above the cabin of his truck, I feel there is a moral obligation to slow down and move to the next lane. I think the word amber should be removed

As far as I know the law here in the US is change lanes OR slow down; you're not required by law to do both. Perhaps some states are slow down AND change lanes, but all the digital signs I've ever seen crossing coast to coast were "OR"

As far as I know the law here in the US is change lanes OR slow down; you're not required by law to do both. Perhaps some states are slow down AND change lanes, but all the digital signs I've ever seen crossing coast to coast were "OR"
+1

Back