Total Newbie

psychosax

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, am a total newbie to the dash cam world and went with a Nextbase 522GW and add on rear facing camera after doing some research (googling) Seems like it just does what it says on the tin and very easy to set up/use, apart from Intelligent Parking Mode? I understand the premise but with it enabled, every time I enter the car it obviously starts recording immediately, I can sometimes spend a few minutes in my car before driving off, setting up directions on Waze etc so I cancel the recording. I then need to manually start recording once I start the car to drive off? Like I said Im a total newbie so have no other reference......

The accompanying iOS app MyNextbase is pretty horrible to use? After installing the dash cam I then tried the app, it refused to connect although sometimes the process did get as far as giving me a pair code that showed up on the dash cam and the app but once I accepted the app just froze! Left it a while and after some googling again I came across a possibility of a fix, My iPhone XS Max iOS 12.4, was connected by bluetooth to my car, Audi Q2 and also by cable to Carplay. To resolve the issue it suggested
  • forgetting the bluetooth connection between car and iPhone,
  • forgetting the connection between iPhone and dash cam,
  • hard reset iPhone.
After doing these steps I then retried the setup between iPhone and dash cam, low and behold connection was made. (I can however have bluetooth connections with an Apple Watch and and AirPods) I was then able to proceed with setting up Live View, SOS etc

However over next few days Ive noticed that the SOS function drops constantly, I get a red screen on dash cam saying the function is no longer available? When I park up I can open up app, tap the SOS button and then turn slider to on position and then it reconnects.

An other problem with the app is that when opened it sets Screen Brightness (one of the main reasons for unnecessary battery use) to maximum on the iPhone but if I close the app the brightness remains at maximum.

I suspect that when you are entering your vehicle, the movement and "shock" of opening and closing the door is activating "parking mode" which starts recording if it thinks someone bumped your vehicle. try turning that off to see how it behaves.

But if you "turn it off" then you won't capture when someone really bumps your car.

I suspect that when you are entering your vehicle, the movement and "shock" of opening and closing the door is activating "parking mode" which starts recording if it thinks someone bumped your vehicle. try turning that off to see how it behaves.

oh I fully understand that the G sensor cannot differentiate between me opening the door and someone reversing into my car but the way the whole Parking Mode was advertised to me at time of purchase and in any user guide/info I've read since doesnt mention that? I turned off Parking Mode after 1 day of use...

Back