TPMS, NFC, RFID, etc. interference

Nath

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Triple Viofo A139-3CH, Dual A129Pro-2CH, Blackvue DR900S-2CH
I know that there is some interference with DAB and FM radio but does anybody encountered also TPMS or similar technology issues? (i think i saw some complains with “old” A129 Duo)

Interestingly after months of use last few days i’ve been noticing issues with my keyless entry/start(even after i replaced battery in keyfob). Few times i lost TPMS signal from pressure sensors. When i lost TPMS signal last time i disconnected my A129-Pro Duo from B-124 (without 3-wire kit) and it reconnected right away. I’ll try to investigate it more in detail later but it seems like it is caused by the dashcam.

EDIT: Ok, with dashcam turned off the keyfob works no issues as well.

Last edited:
Tpms could be due to the cold weather. Cold weather drops tire pressure. The fob? How old is it. How old is the battery? Is it oem or a China replacement?

How is a drop of pressure related to the loss of signal..? The fob is 4 years old (battery in the fob is new, as i've mentioned above). The keyfob is of course genuine.

Anyway as i've said in the text, everything miraculously works fine on a snap of a finger very moment after the dashcam is turned off. (unfortunately those are pretty weak signals so moving cables will not solve anything)

Last edited:
How is a drop of pressure related to the loss of signal..? The fob is 4 years old (battery in the fob is new, as i've mentioned above). The keyfob is of course genuine.

Anyway as i've said in the text, everything miraculously works fine on a snap of a finger very moment after the dashcam is turned off. (unfortunately those are pretty weak signals so moving cables will not solve anything)
I assumed you meant your TPMS light was turning on. How are you determining tpms is losing "signal"?

My car said so.

BMW X5 F15 (late 2015)

try the camera powered from cig charger as a test and see if you still get issues with the TPMS dropping out, I've seen this before on a Ford and the power supply had to be relocated to avoid the problem

do you know where the TPMS module is located in your BMW?

Switching mode power supplies (the type all dashcams use) are inherently "noisy" electrically which coupled with being near to car systems is likely to lead to issues like this. You can almost always improve the situation by moving cam system components around and adding ferrite chokes, but you can only rarely completely solve it. Give it a try; you may get lucky.

Phil

I'm aware of switching power supplies are/could be source of noise but if it can interfere with TPMS(433.92MHz in EU), RFID(13.56MHz), DAB(174–240 MHz and 1452–1492 GHz) and FM(88-108MHz) it sounds more like a jammer. :D And according to the distance (TPMS in my car should have receiver antennas directly in wheels arch) ferrite beads won't help much i'm afraid - i'll try it though.

Too bad i don't have a spectrum analyzer (too expensive for just a hobby :ROFLMAO: ) to be able to measure such "noise" from the camera.

try the camera powered from cig charger as a test and see if you still get issues with the TPMS dropping out, I've seen this before on a Ford and the power supply had to be relocated to avoid the problem

do you know where the TPMS module is located in your BMW?
It is basicaly just a cig charger (the difference is location). Anyway i tried directly the car's plug and nothing has changed. Unfortunately i don't know where TPMS receiving module is exactly.

Last edited:
I'm aware of switching power supplies are/could be source of noise but if it can interfere with TPMS(433.92MHz in EU), RFID(13.56MHz), DAB(174–240 MHz and 1452–1492 GHz) and FM(88-108MHz) it sounds more like a jammer. :D And according to the distance (TPMS in my car should have receiver antennas directly in wheels arch) ferrite beads won't help much i'm afraid - i'll try it though.

Too bad i don't have a spectrum analyzer (too expensive for just a hobby :ROFLMAO: ) to be able to measure such "noise" from the camera.

It is basicaly just a cig charger (the difference is location). Anyway i tried directly the car's plug and nothing has changed. Unfortunately i don't know where TPMS receiving module is exactly.
You can also try an external battery bank to make sure the noise is coming from the power adapter.

If you happen to know any Amateur (Ham) Radio operators there's a chance they will know someone who has a spectrum analyzer in your area. Some of us go way overboard with our radio gear :p

Your dealership should be able to tell you where the TPMS module is.

Phil

I've got a 2016 Subaru Outback, just installed the 129 pro with the official hardwire parking kit and now my remote starter fob no loner works the way it used to. I used to have a range of a few hundred feet. Now I'm lucky if I have more than 5 feet. Anyone have any suggestions?
(I've also got interference on AM stations now, but I'll live with that)

If you happen to know any Amateur (Ham) Radio operators there's a chance they will know someone who has a spectrum analyzer in your area. Some of us go way overboard with our radio gear :p

Your dealership should be able to tell you where the TPMS module is.

Phil
It depends on what kind of analyzer do they have. The proper ones are way too expensive and unnecessary for just a radio operator or hobbyist, those will choose something like those RTL2832U based dongles or HackRF One. Don't have either of them, maybe now is the right time... :D

Anyway:
@SawMaster
Ferrite beads didn't help (at both ends). It could a bit... but personaly i don't see much improvement (unfortunately it's not constant "jamming" but random "hiccups").
@lacibaci
B-124 basicaly is a powerbank. And it's actually less noisy to step-down voltage rather than step-up (i've tested Xiaomi 20Ah bank with no improvement)
@jokiin
TPMS according to my service center is integrated into DSC module, which should be in front of a driver quite deep in engine section. Do you have an idea?

I'll try to tear apart the camera and do some research. I kinda miss my DR900S with overheating issues :ROFLMAO: .

I've got a 2016 Subaru Outback, just installed the 129 pro with the official hardwire parking kit and now my remote starter fob no loner works the way it used to. I used to have a range of a few hundred feet. Now I'm lucky if I have more than 5 feet. Anyone have any suggestions?
(I've also got interference on AM stations now, but I'll live with that)
Unplug the rear camera and see if the range goes back to normal. If it does, then you'll need to reroute the rear cable. See if you can find out where the fob antenna is and route the cable away from it.

Unplug the rear camera and see if the range goes back to normal. If it does, then you'll need to reroute the rear cable. See if you can find out where the fob antenna is and route the cable away from it.
the rear camera will be affecting the FOB range, that's typical on some models of car, testing if the TPMS is still affected with the rear camera disconnected is still something to test though, I would try that with a different power supply also

I unplugged the rear camera and the fob range was still just a couple of feet. Next, I unplugged the power from the camera and my fob range went back to normal :( This is a pretty big issue for me.

I unplugged the rear camera and the fob range was still just a couple of feet. Next, I unplugged the power from the camera and my fob range went back to normal :( This is a pretty big issue for me.
did you try it from a different power source also?

Try powering with the included 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable. If the fob is fine with that, then the issue should be related to the hardwire kit.

Try powering with the included 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable. If the fob is fine with that, then the issue should be related to the hardwire kit.
the challenge is the FOB is only used when the car is off, unless the cig socket is powered when the car is off you can't know if it's ok or not

Back