Transcend DP200 with ipad mini problems - help please

ziffos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am not only new to dashcams but also new to forums but I am desperate for advice or help with a problem I have come up against:-

I have the following equipment - a :-

Transcend DP200 running firmware 1.26.
iPad mini 2 running the latest Apple software.
16gb memory card that came with the dashcam.
Apple Lightning to SD card reader.

PROBLEM:-

When I take my memory card out of the DP200 and insert it into Lightning to SD reader (that is already inserted into ipad) the memory card is not recognised!! Why?

(I have tried other memory cards in the DP200 with same result)
(I have tried several memory cards that have NOT BEEN IN the DP200 and they WORK FINE)

Please help or give advice OR is it that the DP200 will NOT work at all through the iPad as all other dashcams seem to do?

Thanks in advance.

think you'd need to jailbreak your iPad if you want to view the files, Apple only lets the iPad see the regular digital camera folder structure, your camera will have a different folder structure so the iPad can't see it

Sorry jokiin but that is NOT the problem. I have just tested another dashcam owned by a friend (a G1W) - took out his memory card - put it straight into the ipad lightning to sd reader and perfect playback!!

Sorry jokiin but that is NOT the problem. I have just tested another dashcam owned by a friend (a G1W) - took out his memory card - put it straight into the ipad lightning to sd reader and perfect playback!!

what's the folder structure on the G1W camera?

I don't have an iPad to try but it is a known issue with their camera connection kit that if the folder structure doesn't match what Apple allows you don't see anything

DCF is a specification originally created by JEITA, the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association. DCF mandates that digital cameras store photos and video in a “DCIM” directory. DCIM stands for “Digital Camera Images.”

Most dash cams today use this specification but not ALL. For example, the Street Guardian SG9665GC is an example of one that doesn't.

Your iPad is looking for the DCIM folder when you attempt to load videos via the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader.

On my iPad I can easily import video from a G1WH, Mobius and other cameras because they have that folder but NOT from my SG9665GC because THAT camera doesn't store video in the required DCIM folder because it doesn't create one on the card as part of its file/folder structure.

Try mounting the SD card from your Transcend directly on your home computer so you can look inside the folder volume. Does it have a folder named DCIM? If it does, it should work on your iPad. If it has the folder but still won't mount there is some other issue.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow - excellent response - thanks as this at least helps me understand a little more of the problem - using my PC, I am unable to see any other folders other than the Transcend ones that seems to be put onto each memory card by the DP200 itself and these are N-Video, P-Video & System. I think this must be the problem (as you stated these are not DCIM). Many thanks and I guess its time to get it on eBay and buy a DCIM capable dashcam.

@Dashmellow - excellent response - thanks as this at least helps me understand a little more of the problem - using my PC, I am unable to see any other folders other than the Transcend ones that seems to be put onto each memory card by the DP200 itself and these are N-Video, P-Video & System. I think this must be the problem (as you stated these are not DCIM). Many thanks and I guess its time to get it on eBay and buy a DCIM capable dashcam.

if you're happy with the camera you have what some people do is get one of these combo power bank wifi hotspot card reader devices and just pop the card in and view over wifi, you're not restricted to the Apple eco system with those and no need to jailbreak

Thanks jokiin but I cannot be happy with a camera that does not work as "others" seem to - however I have ordered one of the combo power bank wifi hotspot card readers, you suggested, from Amazon to give it a try. If it still does not work then eBay here we come lol.

quite a lot of dashcams don't follow the DCIM structure, there are some that do though, others have used those hotspots without an issue so I'm sure you'll be fine

We will see jokiin but the G1W seems a much better prospect.

quite a lot of dashcams don't follow the DCIM structure, there are some that do though, others have used those hotspots without an issue so I'm sure you'll be fine

I have to admit @jokiin, the SG9665GC's inability to load files directly to my iPad with the 30 dollar Apple card reader I already own the way I can with my other cameras is not one of its most endearing features. In fact, the same lack of a DCIM folder on the SD card also causes a loss of functionality on my Mac. On Apple computers when you mount a microSD card from cameras that have a DCIM folder, the OS automatically launches an app called "Image Capture" that facilitates transferring the photos or video files to the desired directory. When I mount an SG9665GC volume nothing happens. It's a minor quibble and no big deal really but sometimes after mounting a card and nothing happens I need to remind myself that I've mounted an SG volume and need to deal with it manually.

Since the DSP is Novatek, like the other cams I've owned that have the DCIM specification, I've been curious to understand why the SG takes a different approach?

Last edited:
I have to admit @jokiin, the SG9665GC's inability to load files directly to my iPad with the 30 dollar Apple card reader I already own the way I can with my other cameras is not one of its most endearing features. In fact, the same lack of a DCIM folder on the SD card also causes a loss of functionality on my Mac. On Apple computers when you mount a microSD card from cameras that have a DCIM folder, the OS automatically launches an app called "Image Capture" that facilitates transferring the photos or video files to the desired directory. When I mount an SG9665GC volume nothing happens. It's a minor quibble and no big deal really but sometimes after mounting a card and nothing happens I need to remind myself that I've mounted an SG volume and need to deal with it manually.

Since the DSP is Novatek, like the other cams I've owned that have the DCIM specification, I've been curious to understand why the SG takes a different approach?

I am curious to know why Transcend decided not to use DCIM in the DP200 as well.

some of it depends on the how it's setup in the SDK, we use a different processor than the G1W, Mobius etc (ours is a two channel capable model and the structure is different), it could possibly be changed but it's quite a bit of work to do it and to be honest we've had some more pressing issues that have needed attention, it's something that we can look at more closely for newer models though as we have some product coming up based on newer processors so we'll have to look at the default structure and see what can be done if the structure is different to address that before it gets too deep in the development, some of it is also multi channel product so I'm not sure how/if that can be configured accordingly, needs more research

Thanks jokiim but as my ipad is far more important (whilst I am on my travels) than my dashcam I think I will be sticking to a dashcam that uses the DCIM system and letting eBay decide the fate of the Transcend DP200. If it won't work simply with my ipad then off it goes to someone else.

quite a lot of dash cameras don't use the DCIM folder setup, the Transcend is not alone, there are some about that do if that's your preference, the Mobius would be a far better choice than a G1W though if that was your thinking

Having spent money on the DP200 - or should I say "having wasted money on the DP200" - I am afraid that the Mobius price is not as attractive as the G1W price that can be bought for less than 30GBP and as that works perfectly with my ipad then the G1W may be the dashcam for me.

Thanks for the explanation, jokiin. So, it sounds like the DCIM folder was possible but not implemented by your engineers for one reason or another. Certainly, I wouldn't expect you to go back and redo the whole file structure at this point in time but I feel it is something to seriously consider in future products. (or perhaps major revisions)

DCF/DCIM was implemented originally by the Japanese camera industry to create interoperability among a wide array of manufacturer's products and thus has become the "de facto" standard. Virtually every camera I own, professional or otherwise uses it. For this reason it is the default photo/video file structure on the iPhone and iPad and various other platforms which seems to be an indication of just how entrenched it is. I'm puzzled that some dash cam manufacturers would stray from a well established standard.

Last edited:
G1W's are a mixed bag, when first released they were a good value proposition but the quality has slid since as there are multiple manufacturers that produce this model (7 different PCB suppliers at last count), the quality varies a lot, at least with the Mobius it's very much a known quantity and you'll get exactly what you pay for

Thanks for the explanation, jokiin. So, it sounds like the DCIM folder was possible but not implemented by your engineers for one reason or another. Certainly, I wouldn't expect you to go back and redo the whole file structure at this point in time but I feel it is something to seriously consider in future products. (or perhaps major revisions)

DCF/DCIM was implemented originally by the Japanese camera industry to create interoperability among a wide array of manufacturers products and thus has become the "de facto" standard. Virtually every camera I own, professional or otherwise uses it. For this reason it is the default photo/video file structure on the iPhone and iPad and various other platforms which seems to be an indication of just how entrenched it is. I'm puzzled that some dash cam manufacturers would stray from a well established standard.

yeah it's certainly something I'll look at on some upcoming product, in some things we are limited by the SDK framework though

I'm not sure it's so much that manufacturers are straying from the standards but we do have some products that perhaps fall outside of what the standard was originally intended for, I'm guessing at least that some of the things we do now, multi channel streams, event folders, G-Sensor data, GPS log files, recycling files etc weren't front of mind when thinking about DSC standards, it is a defacto standard for DSC but some DVC product can work quite happily within that framework, why don't they all, not sure, the chipset comes from vendors that have a background in DSC/DVC product so would be familiar enough with the standards I would think, I'd assume there is some logical reason why some products are setup differently

Very well said Dashmellow & thanks.

@jokiim - thanks but I have already been provided with a link for reliable G1W's as tested and reviewed by several reviewers here in the UK - UK warranties included - whereas Mobius do fail some recommendations as they do not even have an "onboard" screen (which seems rather "old fashioned").

Back