Transcend DrivePro 100 - Review

DSK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Transcend DrivePro 100 a while ago as it had a f1.8 6g lens, 130 view angle and HDR plus the 64Gb card capability. The brand itself seemed very popular with many opting for the DrivePro 200 but this in my opinion did not offer the video quality of the DrivePro due to its better lens.

Its seasonably compact size and quite well finished as far as dash cams go. The contents in the box are comprehensive with a sticky mount and 16GB class 10 card ensuring its ready to go out of the box.

Mount

The supplied sticky mount doesn't offer enough movement to get the camera positioned how you want especially with more flatter screens. Depending on your vehicle its likely that you are better off buying a Transcend suction mount from Amazon which offers the adjustability you need and is 1/2 the size of most suction mounts.

Video Quality

I always judge video quality using my DOD LS430W as the standard bench mark. Now its will be a while before anything gets close to this as it features a whopping f1.6 lens with all the other technology expected from a premium dash cam.

The video quality of the Transcend DrivePro 100 in all light conditions including strong winter sunlight is impressive and sharp giving my DOD LS430W a run for its money. I never use the photo mode on my cameras so cannot comment on that. In low light conditions the video quality far exceeded my expectations proving no dark spots in the footage and handling street lights and head lights with ease without compromising the whole footage.

Reliability

For about 6 months or so both of the DrivePro 100's I had were spot on even on my regular 4 hour long weekend trips. After about 6 months or so, despite using better quality power cables (LINDY) as I never use the cheap ones supplied in dash cam kits, the camera would periodically switch itself off/on. At other times, despite the camera staying on and appearing to record, when I viewed the files very few were captured.

Even formatting the card and ensuring the settings were correct etc, the camera did play up from time to time with no files being captured despite the camera stating that its was recording.

I'm not sure what caused my issues above but aside from that its a great bit of kit.
5D0A0B8E-356E-4BF8-BEC4-110F4F3C3E0C_zpspayy0n8i.jpg

Interesting to see this, today, my 3 month old Transcend Drive Pro 100 was on recording but only 1 hours footage from 4 hours showed up on the card.

Did you return yours under warranty?

@DSK @Smuler

Have you tried replacing the memory card?

@DSK

What gauge and length was the cable?
Some cams aren't happy with 28AWG which is often found in USB cables; the fussy ones prefer 24AWG.
The longer the cable and the higher the AWG rating the less the power that gets from one end of the cable to the other and the greater the chance that a fluctuation in the car's electrics (due to various activities) will cause a drop in power sufficient for the cam to think it's time to switch off.

I have tried 2 memory cards. one came with the camera, and the other is the same Transcend MLC type, as recommended by Transcend.
I have formatted the cards and reset the default settings of the camera.

I have tried 2 memory cards. one came with the camera, and the other is the same Transcend MLC type, as recommended by Transcend.
I have formatted the cards and reset the default settings of the camera.

Is there any pattern to the missing recordings? Start of journey? End of journey? Some journeys not captured at all?

Is the cam sharing a socket with another device?

Are you able to try a different power cable?

Sometimes the rough UK road surfaces can shake the power supply loose. Sometimes power supply connectors get a bit of muck or mild corrosion and benefit from a clean.

First problem:- 32GB card. Normally holds about 4-5 hours of footage. I got the last hour only. BUT - and this made me suspect the card at first - the card capacity showed as fully used.

I then reset to default the settings on the camera.

I then tried the 16GB and this time I made sure I deleted[ simply select all, delete] files so the card was empty. I ran it for 2 hours and got one file even though it showed as fully used. I could not play the file.

No, the cam is hardwired to battery with an on/off switch.
I don't have another transcend power cable, but will try and find a generic USB.

I will also try a brand new card, also Transcend.

But, and I've had cameras since 2011, I'm at a loss this time, so any ideas much appreciated.

.......No, the cam is hardwired to battery with an on/off switch.......

What was the reason for that? Just neatness or so you can run the cam while parked?

.....I'm at a loss this time, so any ideas much appreciated......

What kind of usage - how long and how often - does the cam get?

Yes, run the cam while parked in street or vulnerable places. Not used for more than a few hours though. There is no parking mode, this is continually on.

Until the recent hardwiring, only when driving. Most common journey times: 40 minutes to 1 hour one way or 20 minutes one way. Usage is 5 or 6 days a week.

Camera bought 20 June and I have copies of everything recorded and check through all my files for missing footage.

It's been perfect.

Therefore I can be confident that today's experience is unique.

Previously I had Roadhawk HD for 2 years. I had initial missing footage issue, but this was firmware related as camera was then brand new and problem solved by maker.

Over time had a few card compatibility issues, or faulty cards. But these were card faults, proven.

Camera did have a power supply issue after 2 years, but in that case there were clear power on issues with the recordings light going off.

In today's issue, much the same as the other poster (GSK) the red power light is always flashing record.

Apologies for the delay in responding.
Mine were purchased from Amazon directly and therefore the return was hassle free and prompt.

The memory cards I always use are genuine Sandisk Extreme/Ultra class 10 and the Samsung Evo class 10's purchased from Amazon directly.

(My DOD LS430W and Nextbase 402G are flawlessly reliable under any conditions and time using the same premium cables and cards).

Apologies for the delay in responding.
Mine were purchased from Amazon directly and therefore the return was hassle free and prompt.

The memory cards I always use are genuine Sandisk Extreme/Ultra class 10 and the Samsung Evo class 10's purchased from Amazon directly.

(My DOD LS430W and Nextbase 402G are flawlessly reliable under any conditions and time using the same premium cables and cards).

Thanks for reply, so you returned to Amazon both products after 6 months?

If I've understood, that is really useful as the normal Amazon return period is 30days

Yes my DP100's were sold and supplied directly by Amazon themselves rather than a re-seller or alternative supplier on Amazon.

I have returned other dash cam's after periods over 6 months due to failure purchased from Amazon re-sellers and never had an issue getting a hassle free refund.

You mention two other cameras you have, one being the next base (I'm thinking of that one); could the next base use the same power lead as the transcend?

Reason I ask, is that I have a transcend power lead professionally installed and wouldn't want to remove it.

Yes the Dod ls430w/460w/next base 402g use the same power lead connector as the transcend.

You mention two other cameras you have, one being the next base (I'm thinking of that one); could the next base use the same power lead as the transcend?

Reason I ask, is that I have a transcend power lead professionally installed and wouldn't want to remove it.

I think the Transcend power cable is 5V 1A but the Nextbase is 5V 1.5A. But most dash cams use much less than that; only taking what they need - the 402G claims to use 0.6A.
The adapters are visually different too, but the power cables and adapters should be mostly interchangeable as long as the adapter is able to supply slightly more than the cam requires.

I notice the Nextbase 402G are in a price war between two major high street retailers (£119) but I wouldn't bother to have another due to the tiny battery which soon degraded in the one I had.
So it's capacitor cams only for me, from now on.
Which basically cuts my future dashcam-purchase shortlist right down to just a handful, plus maybe a few others which have slipped my mind at present:
Transcend DP200
Panorama
Street Guardian
JooVuu X

I bought a drive pro 100 and when I try to download iOS app from AppStore there is no DrivePro 100 supporting app . Any one pls help me where I find the app .

I bought a drive pro 100 and when I try to download iOS app from AppStore there is no DrivePro 100 supporting app . Any one pls help me where I find the app .

try changing stores, it may not be listed on all stores, it's on ours, from memory there's a country selector in the iTunes interface where you can choose a different store

I can’t change stores , is it available through website ? If so please send me the link . Thank you.

you can only download through iTunes, you can change stores on the phone and download via wifi also

Back