Transcend Drivepro 220 64gb micro sd card issues!!

Sallywacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently bought a transcend drivepro 220 and got a 16gb micro sd card (MLC) free with it.
As a lorry driver and on the road for 11 hours a day I wanted a larger card so I purchased a transcend 64gb card, (ts premium 300x) which I believe to be non MLC, it worked perfectly until it came to loop recording, as soon as the card was full it stopped recording and flashed up with memory card error!! The only way to get it to start recording again was to format the card then it would be fine again!!! Spoke to trsnscend who then released fw v1.06 which was supposed to fix an issue with 64gb cards!! They never said what the issue fix was but it never fixed mine.
The MLC 16gb card loop records fine and works flawlessly!!
My question is would a non MLC card have issues like this, and if so which 32gb or 64gb cards are MLC because I want a larger card.
I know this is quite long winded but transcend will not admit to a software issue but in my opinion the camera works fine with the 16gb MLC card and surely if it was the hardware then it wouldn't work at all??

The camera is formatting the card to exFAT, gonna try formatting it to FAT32 to see if that makes a difference. Will report back my findings.

Ok, so I formatted it to fat32 and at first it worked ok, recording 1 minute clips, it then started doing anything up to 1m 50 second clips but on play back the 50 secs were missing!! Given up on that fix and gone back to exfat but still not able to loop record!! Just stops recording when the card is full!!
I have an MLC 16gb card which works perfectly so could it be that only MLC flash works in this camera?
I'm confused!!!!

Ok, so I formatted it to fat32 and at first it worked ok, recording 1 minute clips, it then started doing anything up to 1m 50 second clips but on play back the 50 secs were missing!! Given up on that fix and gone back to exfat but still not able to loop record!! Just stops recording when the card is full!!
I have an MLC 16gb card which works perfectly so could it be that only MLC flash works in this camera?
I'm confused!!!!
After you formatted to FAT32 (on your computer I assume) did you then format it again in the camera?

No, after formatting it to fat32 on my computer I put it in the camera and started using it, should I have formatted it with the camera too?

No, after formatting it to fat32 on my computer I put it in the camera and started using it, should I have formatted it with the camera too?
That would be best. When I put a new (formatted from factory) 64GB card in my SG9665GC it will not work until I do an in camera format. This after passing a 'surface scan' on the computer.

Edit: At this point I would format in camera and try again. If that fails format on your computer then again in camera.

Would formatting it in the camera make it go back to exfat though?

EDIT. when I used easeus partition master what cluster size should I use for fat32 on a 64gb micro sd?

Last edited:
Would formatting it in the camera make it go back to exfat though?
Don't have an answer for that. If it were me I'd do the in camera format then check to see. Going step-by-step you will at least be able to determine what is happening and pass the information on to Transcend if it's a problem.

When you did the original in camera format it resulted in exFat but the card may have been that way initially and it somehow just carried over.

You really don't have anything to lose as it's not working right as it is.

Back