Transcend DrivePro 220 w/ Built-in GPS and Wi-Fi

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Transcend recently announced the DrivePro 220 with Built-in GPS and Wi-Fi.

Product Link (specs): http://us.transcend-info.com/Products/No-692
Link to press release: http://us.transcend-info.com/About/press/10810
Productpic-DP220-5.jpg

Seems promising and decent... Not sure on price.

Interesting how they've gone from a super capacitor back to a battery - I guess it was the easiest way for them to get past the issue with the DP200 losing the time.

Also spotted the included microSD card is MLC - it's not just me saying it :)

Yeah I half wonder if they'll be launching some more MLC cards in their range soon - I can't remember what was in the old DP200 package but it was a plain card like that.

..:: Edit ::..
I've just Google'd it and the old DP200 also came with an MLC microSD card.

I note that Transcend are sticking with the indiscreet form factor, & the conspicuous chrome lens bezel & white text.

Replacing the capacitor with a battery just adds insult to injury. So disappointing.

Last edited:
I note that Transcend are sticking with the indiscreet form factor. And the conspicuous chrome lens bezel & white text.

Replacing the capacitor with a battery just adds insult to injury. So disappointing.

1 step forward, 2 steps back

It does remind me a lot of the HP dashcams and all the Chinese versions in the very similar chassis. Hopefully it will perform at night like the last one did - I'll have to check the firmware again at some point to try and work out what CPU was in the DP200 as with the features it feels like they've moved to an Ambarella platform.

1 step forward, 2 steps back

Looking at buying one of these but as you say 1 step forward 2 back. I was going to get the 220 but the 200 still seems to be slightly better when side by side. I am not interested in the features that come with the 220 just that being a newer version I would have Thought it should be the better version being new, confused on what to pick now. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated :)

Are you buying Transcend on brand name alone? Have you checked out the other options? We only stock Transcend memory cards and not their DashCam products. They don't seem all that popular on the forums here. Since I haven't personally used them I can't give much advice.

EDIT: Stay away from the new battery version, get a DashCam with a capacitor for high heat resistance.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of good things regarding the 200 and was hoping the 220 would be similar, have not checked out any other options as there seem to be quite a lot about and I have mainly been going on other reviews I have seen

I have a DP200 here in Thailand which I am reasonably happy about apart from the clock resetting. Number plate legibility is very poor but I understand you need to pay a lot more for this quality of output. I would like to fit a camera in my wife's car and the DP220 may be a good option. Shame that they have gone from 160 to 130 degrees but the lens has been upgraded from f2 to f1.8. Not interested in GPS function. Cost is 5,000 THB here (£103). Also considering the DOD LS360W which costs 6,000 THB (£124). The ability to record decent quality when driving at night and into direct sunlight is important. Camera will be left in the car 24 hours a day often standing in direct sunlight for hours. Any advice would be welcomed.

I have a DP200 here in Thailand which I am reasonably happy about apart from the clock resetting. Number plate legibility is very poor but I understand you need to pay a lot more for this quality of output.

If you're not impressed by DrivePro 200 performance with plate legibility, I doubt that any DashCam would satisfy you, no matter how much you spend.

I would like to fit a camera in my wife's car and the DP220 may be a good option.

I believe that the 220 uses a battery instead of the capacitor used in the 200. This is a retrograde step by Transcend &, given the climate in Thailand, I suggest that you buy another 200 or other DashCam with a capacitor.

I believe that the 220 uses a battery instead of the capacitor used in the 200. This is a retrograde step by Transcend &, given the climate in Thailand, I suggest that you buy another 200 or other DashCam with a capacitor.
didn't notice the model mentioned was a battery model, in that case yeah find a capacitor model

Will all capacitor based cameras have the same problem with the date resetting when the camera is not used for a couple of days?

Will all capacitor based cameras have the same problem with the date resetting when the camera is not used for a couple of days?

The ones with gps will set time back after gps is locked.

The quality ones will have a very small RTC button battery to hold the date/time..
What does the DP200 use to retain the date/time?
Any suggestions for a capacitor based camera able to retain the date/time better than the DP200, for say a week?

What does the DP200 use to retain the date/time?
Any suggestions for a capacitor based camera able to retain the date/time better than the DP200, for say a week?
If I remember correctly, all settings are kept in RAM memory but if its uses an RTC button then it should keep time for long period. If it doesnt keep time after supercaps are drainee then dont have RTC or its too weak.
All supercaps based dashcams with gps logger can retain ( adjust ) time for almost unlimited period while gps module is in working order.

Thank you, that's useful advice. Any suggestions for a capacitor dashmcam with GPS?

Back