Transferring video to the Police accident investigator

You can try MX Player or BS Player. When you zoomed into license plate you can press the Power and Volume - buttons and obtain a screenshot. And you can give only that screenshot, quickly.

Those look perfect, thanks!

I carry a card reader that allows me to easily transfer dash cam footage to an iPad while I'm out and about. If I really felt I needed to, I guess I could show it to a LEO but I probably wouldn't at the scene of an incident, under most circumstances. Regardless of how one chooses to hand over footage to the police, I would never do so until I have had an opportunity to thoroughly review the "evidence" beforehand.

I agree that handing over raw footage without reviewing it first could lead to unintended consequences. In my instance, I was speaking of a hit and run and was looking for a way to obtain the license plate so I could provide just that information when calling and/or talking to the responding officer for the accident report. If I transfer the file to my phone and capture the screenshot, I would not have to show the actual video footage. But for the great majority of accidents your insurance agent will be more interested in seeing the video footage than the police will.

Hi,

I have a SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android phone,

I have purchased from ebay a USB Cable micro usb male one end and regular USB female other end,

I use that to link a USB card reader stick to my phone.

Now if I need to pass on video files from my G1W-B dashcam, I pull the micro SD card from the dash cam and put it in the USB card reader and connect it to my phone, now I can copy the file to my phone memory and copy the file to another micro SD card or a usb MEMORY STICK.

I agree that handing over raw footage without reviewing it first could lead to unintended consequences. In my instance, I was speaking of a hit and run and was looking for a way to obtain the license plate so I could provide just that information when calling and/or talking to the responding officer for the accident report. If I transfer the file to my phone and capture the screenshot, I would not have to show the actual video footage. But for the great majority of accidents your insurance agent will be more interested in seeing the video footage than the police will.

I agree. Even if one feels it's not a good idea to hand over video footage to the police before one has had a chance to review it, there could be an occasion when you might want or need to.

Hi,

I have a SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android phone,

I have purchased from ebay a USB Cable micro usb male one end and regular USB female other end,

I use that to link a USB card reader stick to my phone.

Now if I need to pass on video files from my G1W-B dashcam, I pull the micro SD card from the dash cam and put it in the USB card reader and connect it to my phone, now I can copy the file to my phone memory and copy the file to another micro SD card or a usb MEMORY STICK.

have you actually tried it yet? i bought an OTG cable for my galaxy s relay and the phone won't use it. Doesn't work on my wife's S3 either. Maybe it'll work on the S4 she's getting tomorrow.

I agree. Even if one feels it's not a good idea to hand over video footage to the police before one has had a chance to review it, there could be an occasion when you might want or need to.
...such as preventing your own arrest?

have you actually tried it yet? i bought an OTG cable for my galaxy s relay and the phone won't use it. Doesn't work on my wife's S3 either. Maybe it'll work on the S4 she's getting tomorrow.

Hi Gibson99

I have a SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android phone, I have purchased from ebay a USB Cable micro usb male one end and regular USB female other end,
I use that to link a USB card reader or memory stick to my phone.

When I plug it into the SCS2 the top of the screen shows it is detecting the USB device. I use a app ES File Explorer to view the memory card then I select the sda device (which is what the micro SD card shows up as), I am now browsing the attached micro SD Card, I can then copy a file to the phones micro SD card, which then would allow me to show a decent view to the cop etc. I can then change the card reader to a memory stick and copy the file to the memory stick.

Works well for me on my SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android (2.3) phone

HTH
Ray

Hi Gibson99

I have a SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android phone, I have purchased from ebay a USB Cable micro usb male one end and regular USB female other end,
I use that to link a USB card reader or memory stick to my phone.

When I plug it into the SCS2 the top of the screen shows it is detecting the USB device. I use a app ES File Explorer to view the memory card then I select the sda device (which is what the micro SD card shows up as), I am now browsing the attached micro SD Card, I can then copy a file to the phones micro SD card, which then would allow me to show a decent view to the cop etc. I can then change the card reader to a memory stick and copy the file to the memory stick.

Works well for me on my SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 Android (2.3) phone

HTH
Ray
Awesome! Can you provide a link to the cable you got? I use ES file explorer daily including connecting to file shares on the network and root explorer on the device itself. Very useful.

Hi Gibson99

This is the USB cable I got from Ebay $AU 1.02 including free delivery ftom Hong Kong: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121199237023
and the card reader is USB 3.0 $AU 5.69 including free delivery ftom Hong Kong: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310966471303delivery was about 2 weeks.

This allows me to copy a file from the DashCam SD card to my phone, then copy the file to either another SD card or a USB memory stick

they work well for me

HTH Ray

Last edited:
It's hard. Most of us are not prepared for this step. Try taking your 32GB card out of the camera and handing it to the officer doing the accident report. You'll be shocked. Most PD's are not prepared. They don't carry microSDHC to USB adapters. You must supply one.
Next problem: do you want the Cop to view your 250 1-minute files? You must do the reviewing and provide him with only the relevant files. Try using your cell phone. They suck.
Best solution for now is a 7-10" tablet. Transfer the card from the camera to the tablet, review and copy the
relevant files to the tablet memory, then stick in a USB thumb drive (you carry one don't you) and copy the
files to the thumb drive. Give that to the Cop. He can plug that into his laptop.
Next shock: many PD's disable Windows Media Player so he can't review your video in the field.
You will have to show it to him on your tablet. This is reality.

I've thought two things along this line.
1. Raid drives: so you always have two copies. (likely some mfr needs a dual-SD card designed-in)
2. SD card duplicator/portable backup - make a copy on the spot. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003N4D7BE) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00378KLFQ%29%28http%3A)
3. some form of auto-cloud upload
4. like a fake wallet for muggers (with expired credit cards), have a sacrificial dash cam (cheap one, in OBVIOUS location and say "Here, take my dash cam footage"...) while all along your real/better one is more discreet and hidden away.

app shows the software is capable of it (not surprised - it's a cyanogen-based rom) but it doesn't see anything on the second test.

did some googling, and apparently the only way i can do OTG with my relay is to either rig up a custom cable that supplies power to the usb device i'm connecting, or connect to a powered hub. not exactly convenient when On The Go.

Hi Gibson99

This is the USB cable I got from Ebay $AU 1.02 including free delivery ftom Hong Kong: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121199237023
and the card reader is USB 3.0 $AU 5.69 including free delivery ftom Hong Kong: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310966471303delivery was about 2 weeks.

This allows me to copy a file from the DashCam SD card to my phone, then copy the file to either another SD card or a USB memory stick

they work well for me

HTH Ray

looks like basically the same cable i have, just mine has a right-angle microusb plug. i also paid about a dollar for it. oh well, no big loss. i can always pop the sd card into the camera itself and copy it to the internal storage if needed. i don't have a gigantic case (nobody makes one for phones with sliding keyboards), so taking the back off to get to the SD card slot is easy.

I always have a laptop in my truck, so I keep a few cheap 4gb thumbdrives I can upload video to, hand to the cops, or a victim. They were around $2 US each, won't break me.
One cop let me upload some footage on his personal thumb drive at one accident scene, another time I uploaded the video to youtube, set as private, and sent the cop the link.

Yeah , post the video on Youtube , give them the link ..
You may still need to file a complaint , so be prepared for that .
+ If there is an accident ( here an injury needs to occur for the police to be involved ) , you might want to do it right away ( contact police ) , especially if some on is loosing the plot .
And if the situation becomes He Said / She Said / and they saw ! , you might want a decent screen on your dash cam for playback so that your not the one going to jail .
Often the police may simply decide to arrest everyone and sort it out latter ( especially in a conflicting situation )

+ Even if some one made a mistake , this does not give anyone the right to lose the plot and instigate a violent confrontation ! ( You just became the road ragging criminal ) , and if you have been kind enough to video yourself instigating such , well dont be surprised if your led off in hand cuffs .

my dashcam footage came into play almost 6 months after the accident. the court wanted to see raw, unedited footage. but after sitting there watching boring freeway and then sitting at a red light for several minutes, he was ok with the cut-down version that started about 30 seconds before the accident. however, if it had been a road rage type crash, so the stuff leading up to it absolutely would have been relevant. as for giving it to them - they actually didn't want a copy. i called and asked how i should bring it in. they said put it on a dvd. i did, but i brought it in on my tablet too, since i was having issues actually burning the dvd. good thing i did - they didn't even have a tv/dvd player, so i had to stand next to the judge's desk and hold the tablet so he could watch, and rewind/pause the video a few times for him as well.

here's the thread on my crash w/ court update: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i-turned-he-didnt-boom-update.13018/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mtz
Back