Transplanted GoPro HD Hero2 Microphone, Results: 100% improvement!

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Lurker here for a long time.

First of all, I love this forum, and all the customizations to my Xiaomi Yi camera.
As an introduction, I am a tinkerer by birth, and I open everything I own to learn how it works or make it better. Toys, tools, electronics, laptops, my 4 cars, software, car diagnostics/tuning/coding/programming... you name it... I probably have messed with it. Humans are next .... LOL (Med school graduate)

I have taken my wonderful XiaoYi everywhere (underwater/ziplining in Maui, under my racecar, etc..) and love the quality video it can provide. However it was lacking one thing, quality sound. When there are very loud sounds, I am sure some of you have noticed, it records very strange static/clipping noises. I noticed this the most while filming my car's (loud) exhaust.

So I looked around, and found someone selling the microphone from the GoPro HD Hero2, which looked like the right size.

Well today it arrived! No more further delays:

Size looks correct... (black one is XiaoYi original. The white one is GoPro donor.)

Well then... It FITS!

20 seconds of soldering...

and reassemble.

Result is massive sound improvement. High pitched sounds and low, bass sounds.

I will be uploading comparison sound clips in just a little bit.

Last edited:
OP
E

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a soundclip extracted from the video. I recorded a sound being played on my sound system, cranked up quite loud.

First 36 seconds are with the original microphone. I was moving camera around, to the small speakers, and to the sub.

After that, the next minute or so, it is with the GoPro microphone. I moved the camera around to the speakers and right next to the sub at one point. Very dramatic difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2OsVFp1aQ8OVUM1b3pUY3YyZEU

(Blackheart by Two Steps From Hell)

Armdromeda

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's an amazing difference. I can only imagine the enjoyment you got from such a result. Will you post the video? haha

OP
E

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
The video consisted the camera being placed right into the speaker cloth mesh, so there isn't anything to see really.

But I did focus my lens just slightly and it is sharper, so that's nice.

ManuEng13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
what is the diameter and width of the microphone? Having a hard time finding a hero 2 replacement microphone

Thanks

OP
E

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
what is the diameter and width of the microphone? Having a hard time finding a hero 2 replacement microphone

Thanks
The original microphone is ~7mm diameter x 3mm thick. It may be difficult to find a quality replacement, which is at least better than the original one. If you look through ebay you will find one.

ManuEng13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The original microphone is ~7mm diameter x 3mm thick. It may be difficult to find a quality replacement, which is at least better than the original one. If you look through ebay you will find one.
Thanks, I put in the specs I was looking for into digikey and found this guy on ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120807337827
I ordered the POM-3535L-3-R.

Plan is to wire a 2.5mm external mic inline so I have the option between the two. I think I'm more excited to mod it than to use it...

OP
E

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited: