Transplanted GoPro HD Hero2 Microphone, Results: 100% improvement!

Enabled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Lurker here for a long time.

First of all, I love this forum, and all the customizations to my Xiaomi Yi camera.
As an introduction, I am a tinkerer by birth, and I open everything I own to learn how it works or make it better. Toys, tools, electronics, laptops, my 4 cars, software, car diagnostics/tuning/coding/programming... you name it... I probably have messed with it. Humans are next .... LOL (Med school graduate)

I have taken my wonderful XiaoYi everywhere (underwater/ziplining in Maui, under my racecar, etc..) and love the quality video it can provide. However it was lacking one thing, quality sound. When there are very loud sounds, I am sure some of you have noticed, it records very strange static/clipping noises. I noticed this the most while filming my car's (loud) exhaust.

So I looked around, and found someone selling the microphone from the GoPro HD Hero2, which looked like the right size.

Well today it arrived! No more further delays:

Size looks correct... (black one is XiaoYi original. The white one is GoPro donor.)
IMG_20160702_194025re_zpspxmpzqqk.jpg

IMG_20160702_194129re_zpsrb178ss4.jpg

Well then... It FITS!
IMG_20160702_194118re_zpsq7c1bzwr.jpg

20 seconds of soldering...
IMG_20160702_195901re_zpsnl8mxd4h.jpg

and reassemble.
IMG_20160702_200310re_zpsyi4mrjru.jpg

IMG_20160702_200225re_zpsu0oe6cef.jpg

Result is massive sound improvement. High pitched sounds and low, bass sounds.

I will be uploading comparison sound clips in just a little bit.

Last edited:
Here is a soundclip extracted from the video. I recorded a sound being played on my sound system, cranked up quite loud.

First 36 seconds are with the original microphone. I was moving camera around, to the small speakers, and to the sub.

After that, the next minute or so, it is with the GoPro microphone. I moved the camera around to the speakers and right next to the sub at one point. Very dramatic difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2OsVFp1aQ8OVUM1b3pUY3YyZEU

(Blackheart by Two Steps From Hell)

That's an amazing difference. I can only imagine the enjoyment you got from such a result. Will you post the video? haha

The video consisted the camera being placed right into the speaker cloth mesh, so there isn't anything to see really.

But I did focus my lens just slightly and it is sharper, so that's nice.

what is the diameter and width of the microphone? Having a hard time finding a hero 2 replacement microphone

Thanks

what is the diameter and width of the microphone? Having a hard time finding a hero 2 replacement microphone

Thanks

The original microphone is ~7mm diameter x 3mm thick. It may be difficult to find a quality replacement, which is at least better than the original one. If you look through ebay you will find one.

The original microphone is ~7mm diameter x 3mm thick. It may be difficult to find a quality replacement, which is at least better than the original one. If you look through ebay you will find one.
Thanks, I put in the specs I was looking for into digikey and found this guy on ebay.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/120807337827
I ordered the POM-3535L-3-R.

Plan is to wire a 2.5mm external mic inline so I have the option between the two. I think I'm more excited to mod it than to use it...

Last edited:
Back