Trouble finding dashcam with features I need

cujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shopping for first dashcam but not finding what I need.

1. Supercapacitor (no battery)
2. GPS, time, date embedded in video, not stored in separate file
3. At least FHD, front & rear cameras
4. 60 fps option
5. Not high end cost
6. WiFi with Android App for immediate viewing

Not needed
1. Nightvision
2. Driver warnings (so irritating)
3. Cloud storage

I rarely drive at night. I live in Deep South with very hot, humid summers. I really wanted a Garmin or Nextbase but both have batteries.

Considered VIOFO A129 duo or pro but GPS stored separate from video.

Any Ideas?

The viofo you are looking at also have the option to embed GPS info in the footage, but might store GPS data on the side too ( something i have not seen a camera do in a while )
Embedding that kind of info are sort of normal in dashcams, most also have the option to not have any of then if you like it like that, i personally dont use coordinates myself, but thats all still there if you use a dedicated dashcam playback software so you can see where you are on a map.

I would look at youtube videos from those cameras, and i am sure you will see GPS speed in them, and time /date at least.

1: yep this is the way.
2: see above.
3: 1080p is the least you will want these days, there are several 1440p cameras ( front camera ) out there too.
4: 60 FPS ( on the front camera ) are often a option in dual cameras,,,, IF ! the rear camera are not connected, 30 FPS is fine for evidence purpose.
5:
6: wifi and a APP are more or less standard in cameras today, the wifi are most often slow and very basic, i generally only use it to do settings changes, not least as the avid phone hater i am, so dont really want to touch that SOB too much.

Night vision: this is most often a sales gimmick, if there is IR lights in a camera aimed out your windscreen, all it would do is reflect back to the camera from the glass, with no glass there IR range of these weak IR emitters are at the most to the end of your hood, for range like in CCTV cameras you need much much stronger IR LED's, and more of them too.
Mind you for a uber aimed camera where one of the cameras are aimed at the interior you do want IR light on that for when it is dark, this generally are fine and that camera should change automatic between color daytime mode and IR aided B&W night time footage, just like a CCTV camera.

ADAS + LDWS and so on are also just gimmicks in dashcams, it is very rare it work just half good.

Clod storage is mainly preserved for expensive high end dashcams, in my book just 1 more thing that can go wrong, and often do if you read in blackvue and thinkware sub forums.
Mind you wifi can also be a problem some times, but often tricls like turning on airplane mode can sort those out.

If I only HD TV and computer monitor, does it even make sense to go above FHD resolution. I wouldn't be able to actually view dashcam footage at higher resolution. My Samsung Galaxy S20 5G displays FHD. So maybe I only need FHD dashcam. I read that 60 fps FHD can sometimes see better detail than 4K at 30 fps. Is this true?

If I only HD TV and computer monitor, does it even make sense to go above FHD resolution. I wouldn't be able to actually view dashcam footage at higher resolution. My Samsung Galaxy S20 5G displays FHD. So maybe I only need FHD dashcam. I read that 60 fps FHD can sometimes see better detail than 4K at 30 fps. Is this true?
Some video players let you zoom in, most will let you save a frame as a photo, which you can then zoom into and view full detail.
Yes, especially for places with smaller text on plates, 2K is a significant improvement on FHD, twice the detail.

Considered VIOFO A129 duo or pro but GPS stored separate from video.
There is only one file, GPS is stored as a stream in the video file. You can optionally have a overlays on the video for time, speed and location.

VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Dash Cam 3840 x 2160P Ultra HD 4K Front and 1080P Rear Car. The data is in standard MP4 format so lots of players could zoom in. Unfortunately, the VIOFO store on Amazon says Lithium Metal battery. I thought supercapacitor. Is the description wrong?​

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-135828_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-135828_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 3
Some video players let you zoom in, most will let you save a frame as a photo, which you can then zoom into and view full detail.
Yes, especially for places with smaller text on plates, 2K is a significant improvement on FHD, twice the detail.

There is only one file, GPS is stored as a stream in the video file. You can optionally have a overlays on the video for time, speed and location.

What do you think about Rexing V5 modular? 4K front and includes voice control. Supercapacitor and voice control. The rear camera in 1080P. "waterproof". I wouldn't install on exterior. Must be way to install on back window

VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Dash Cam 3840 x 2160P Ultra HD 4K Front and 1080P Rear Car. The data is in standard MP4 format so lots of players could zoom in. Unfortunately, the VIOFO store on Amazon says Lithium Metal battery. I thought supercapacitor. Is the description wrong?​

yes its wrong

yes its wrong
I think the clock backup battery is lithium, so not completely wrong, but that is a tiny thing located away from the heat, so no need to worry about it. The camera uses supercapacitors for shutdown.

What do you think about Rexing V5 modular?
Not a brand that gets recommended around here, better to stick to the trusted brands, then everything will work properly and issues get sorted.

So VIOFO A129 Pro Duo should meet my needs. Thanks for help. Rexing V5 very new model. I don't like to buy brand new model. Haven't worked out the bugs yet.

Haven't worked out the bugs yet.
I don't have experience of Rexing, but many of the not so respected brands never work out the bugs, they just move to the next new model! Then some of the others do fix the bugs with firmware updates but add more new bugs than they remove, Vantrue!

Rexing are better than they once were, but Viofo is a better cam in every way.

Phil

Back