Trouble hardwiring A129 Plus Duo with the HK3 Hardwire Kit

DonJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the HK3 kit installed with the yellow ACC going to a a fuse (via fuse tap) that only has power when the key is turned to the accessory position or when the vehicle is running. The red wire is wired to a fuse that has constant power. The black wire is grounded to a nearby bolt. When the vehicle is turned to the ACC position, the camera will turn on, but when I continue turning the key and start the vehicle, the camera shuts down. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum Don.
I would try the permanent +12 V on another fuse, as i recall the 3 wire kits that is what power the cameras but the ACC wire are just sort of a trigger telling the camera to come on or go to parking mode.
Maybe measure your two +12 V wires with the motor running

WHat car is you have, many newer car can be a bit tricky due to all the smarts that have also found its way to the wire loom in a car.

On many vehicles any non-critical circuit can be 'dropped' when going between "IGN on" and "energizing starter", lasting till the key is released and goes back to "IGN on". During the starting process the battery voltage also drops considerably due to the heavy draw of the starter. You get the same effect using glow-plugs in diesel engines for cold starts.

In the menu of most dashcams you'll find an option for "start-up delay" or something worded similarly. Make sure it's on and try at the lowest numerical setting first, going to a higher number if necessary. This will allow the cam to do it's switching routine after the engine is running and the voltage is stabilized. Almost certain to have that function in all the A129 series cams but I don't have one to check for you. That should solve the problem.

Phil

That was a good thought. I did as you suggested, but no change. I eventually moved the constant on to a different fuse and now it is working. Thanks for your help.

Back