Truck bursts 4 tires then bursts its load on cammers car

I see it hit the rocks, maybe lost the two outer tires on the trailer at that point.
I can't figure out where the metal thing in the pictures came from?

That massive I beam is a mystery to me too, i can only assume it have been up on the trailer on top of the load, and then somehow shifted over the edge when the semi tried to stop down hill.
Good thing it landed where it did, that much weight will kill a person even if it fell from a even lower position.
Just prove that you really do need to secure your load, in a large work rig, or your smaller stuff on your own or a rental trailer, here at least i dont feel the fines are high enough for insecure loads compared to the havoc it can create if something come loose.
Just at regular speed a piece of sheet metal coming loose can severely injure and maybe kill a person, or a brick / anything with a little weight to it, i for one do not want a brick to the face coming at 50 km/h,,,, not even 1 km/h would be any fun.

Last edited:
This is something I found on Reddits roadcam subReddit and there is a detailed discussion between the husband of the driver that got hit and someone who used to work in the scrap recycling business.

• The truck driver was in his first week of employment
  • there is no tarp
  • the driver stated he had 80,000 pounds of stuff, which is the limit
  • It happened on downhill
  • Its possible the load may not have loaded evenly in the trailer.
  • Apparently its one of the most dangerous jobs in the US.

So I am thinking he did not prepare to brake at the top of the hill, hit the brakes hard and the beam came flying out of the trailer.

Edit: added pounds to 80,000. 80k is the limit apparently for some states

Last edited:
Talking about spilled load, this is from my DC minutes after my last post.

This is a situation where a rear camera would be worthwhile.

I guess the debris we see flying around the front of the car are asphalt chunks from the beam hitting the pavement?

I often see metal scrap trailers like that with stuff poking out of the open top, looking like it may fall off, but never anything as heavy as that beam.

I hope the trucker is reamed a new........orifice.

80000 pounds is the max GROSS weight of the truck, trailer, and cargo for a 5 axle combination. That truck and trailer probably weigh around 30,000, empty.

A tarp wouldn't have held that beam in, but SOMEBODY should have seen it was laying on top of the load. The crane operator, etc.

Yeah. That law of mass in motion are a SOB that have caused so many problems, even for people that totally get it.
The 10 USD netting you can buy here to put over stuff on your trailer are also pretty weak, but according to the law it will be fine, for private use you can even just use a piece of clothing line to secure your stuff on the trailer.
It seem to me its like they just want people to try at least, which many people don't.
On a industrial level like this you of course need stronger stuff, and here we also have rules for lashing gear just like for crane lifting gear, that are supposed to be marked with SWL and tested regularly.
SWL = Safe Working Load for those that dident know.

Yeah a rear camera would have been good. looking at the posting in reddit again, the driver saw the beam going flying.

There are certain vehicles I give a little space too. I saw a ladder fly off a van once and have been driving cautiously around roofing company vehicles them ever since. Add scrap vehicles to the list.

In April in Saskatchewan, there was an accident with a truck and a bus carrying a junior hockey team. It killed about 16 (mostly hockey players) and permanently injured almost as many.
So the incident April resulted in the province having additional incentive in passing some trucking safety laws which were in consideration for a while.

The cost for training to get the license is expected to go from $3000 to $8000.. From https://globalnews.ca/news/4722603/sask-government-introduces-mandatory-commercial-truck-training/

The new training will include instruction in the classroom, yard and behind the wheel. Focus areas will include basic driving training techniques, professional driving habits, vehicle inspections and airbrakes. Training schools will receive instruction on this standardized curriculum, and the province says those who deliver training will be held to higher standards.
After March 15, the Class 1 test will be conducted by SGI examiners only.
Once new drivers pass the course, they’ll be subject to a 12-month safety monitoring period. Hargrave said that during this time, drivers who are involved in at-fault collisions, receive speeding tickets or other infractions will be subject to sanctions.

The driver in the video was in his first week on the job

The 'driver shortage' means most companies have lowered the levels of experience required to get hired. The Saskatchewan trucker was kind of a worse case scenario. If I remember correctly, the company was a small, Indian, (Turban, not Teepee) owned company, and the truck was a larger than normal combination vehicle. They gave the new driver some 'in house' training, which may have mostly been on paper.
It used to not be possible to get a halfway decent job driving a truck in the US until you had a few years of experience, meaning you had to survive some pretty miserable conditions at a crappy company.
Now you just need to survive a few months at a crappy company before you can look around to move on, and in the meantime, you haven't really learned much. It's not unusual for the big mega companies to have a driver with 6 months experience, 'training' a driver fresh out of truck driving school. This means you have two clueless people in a big truck, one of which is the 'trainer'. Driving down the road safely is not a big deal, until you run into bad weather or unusual conditions. Then we also have the 'but I was only following the GPS' situations, which see the truck in places it's not supposed to be. Experience doesn't always mean you know what to do, but sometimes just know what NOT to do.
:)
This situation isn't new, but magnified by the truck and driver shortage.

The scary thing is, it's temporarily easy to make money with a truck due to the truck shortages, so some fly by night operators will survive for a while.

It is pretty funny here, if you have a job and have a education and want to get the C license ( just truck not including tow ) then the price are 5500 USD, if you have a job but no education it cost 550 USD.
But if you are on welfare or benefit from the union and regardless of educational level then its free or cost a few 100 USD.

I got my C / CE license for free as i was without a job at the time, and it beat sitting around on your ass, its not like i ever had the plan to use it here in Denmark in relation to work, but if i won the lottery and dident migrate i would probably buy a obnoxious large and heavy everyday driver.

Talk about a country betting on the weakest horse. :cautious:

BTW we need truckers too here, not least if the eastern EU drivers get the hell out.

Well all of this is very concerning coming from myself given all incidents in the area I live. I have noticed truck drivers don't appear to be as cautious as they were 20 years back.

The company and driver involved in the Humboldt case got charged. What I didn't know, until I did google search just now, is the company is based in Alberta. Humboldt is in Saskatchewan.

So if a state or province has strict laws, what is stopping them from moving to a neighboring state or province which isn't as strict but still do business in the neighboring regions. And don't get me started about enforcement as we have all the rules in the world here in Ontario, but rarely do I see traffic cops.

A 49 YO female cyclist was killed yesterday here, first she was hit by a taxi, she then crashed in front of a van that ran her over killing her, both drivers charges with involuntary manslaughter,,,, though that appear to be standard in such cases.
Van driver ( 31 YO Lithuanian guy ) had THC in the blood,,,,,,, as so many Danish potheads have.

Back