Truck driver who can't read signs and hits bridge

Genki

Reaction score
Country
United States

I saw a sign that warned 13 feet 3 inches ( almost exactly 4 meters), and generally they are measured from the lowest point of the bridge. Yet somehow the truck driver missed those signs and clipped the bridge, making a very big mess.

Had the truck driver been paying attention, he could have done half a lane to go under the highest part of the bridge arch or took a different route. I guess he was probably too busy watching his cell phone to notice that. Trailer's completely destroyed.

EDIT wrong link copied

Sign just before the bridge said 10' 4"... No time to react to that. And at the start of the video he cleared a similar looking bridge, so maybe he assumed it was the same height.

That's a parkway on Long Island, and trucks generally are banned from any parkway in NY and NJ. There would have been multiple warning signs, both of height, and the truck ban.

The mount for that dashcam isn't very good, seems to be quite loose.

i was going to say something about a loose nut behind the wheel, but that applies to the truck, not the cam car.

also - looks like trucker was lucky that his trailer was empty. most of what we see looks like foam insulation and wood framing from the trailer.

looks like trucker was lucky that his trailer was empty. most of what we see looks like foam insulation and wood framing from the trailer.
Aaah, just like the good old car chase scenes where they drive through empty boxes.

Why didnt the jack#$# behind the camera go and try to warn the truck driver instead of filming? He obviously knew what was going to happen hence the camera ready.

Why didnt the jack#$# behind the camera go and try to warn the truck driver instead of filming? He obviously knew what was going to happen hence the camera ready.
Because if he did he wouldn't have a video on YT with close to 1.9 million views.

how exactly do you warn a trucker? if you honk, he'll just think you're some lunatic or weirdo. pointing and waving is meaningless unless both of you happen to know sign language... which usually takes both hands anyway. only way is if both of you happen to have CB radios, AND you manage to guess the correct channel he's listening on...

Truckers are professional drivers....most of the ones I know pay close attention to bridge heights. All of the ones I know are aware of how tall their trucks are. Still, accidents happen, even to professionals. The big ass yellow sign is the warning....sorta like a speed limit sign...you see the sign...you check your speed....that's your warning. It's not the job of the guy following the truck to give him a heads up...he's not a jackass. Gibson is on the money with his reply...how can you possibly warn the truck? The driver wasn't paying attention to the sign in front of him or to the bridge in front of him, why would he pay attention to the car behind him. How many of us miss the turn because we weren't paying attention to the sign...or get stopped because we weren't paying attention to our speed? You can't blame anyone else other than the person behind the wheel...and trust me, he'll be reminded of it every time he sits down in the barber chair and is asked "A little off the top?"

Back