Truck pitted and flipped onto railroad tracks

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
Wife recorded this today on route to gym. Rainbows are from the CPL filter I hadn't removed yet - it's gone now.

Blue Hyundai pulls out from side street, and as most FL drivers do, she refuses to stay in her lane. She pits the truck in the center lane, causing it to roll over, over/through a fence, and onto train tracks.

The truck driver was taken to the hospital with a c-spine collar.

Last edited:
Bet person in blue car was on phone and so couldn't turn tight with just 1 hand, or that 1 hand slipped so turn became wide. :rolleyes:

Lucky no triple header was coming thru :eek:

Fortunately that track is seldom used. In fact, the FHP trooper said the next train isn't scheduled to come thru until Sunday.

After watching this a few more times, I can't help but think the silver truck driver completely over reacted. Looking at the side of the truck as it starts to roll, you can see the impact point was about the mid-line. At first glimpse, it looks like a standard pit maneuver, where the tail of the lead vehicle is pushed to the side causing it to fishtail. But getting hit on the side shouldn't cause that kind of loss of control.

Last edited:
I don't see how the truck could have even possibly prevented or minimized that. I also drive a Tacoma but mine is lowered (from the factory) and once the tail comes around more than about 30 degrees, you're done. There's no saving it. It's even worse in those lifted "pre-runner" versions of the Tacoma because the suspension is so mushy. Since the Hyundai pushed the truck so far sideways there's no way they could have corrected. It actually would have been better if the Hyundai had hit the truck even harder so that it would have just done a 180 and ended up going backwards instead of sideways.

I guess I just don't see getting hit ahead of the read axle as being a force that should get the tail to swing that wildly. Seems to me the truck driver counteracted the impact by steering right. With the Hyundai hitting her brakes and still pushing left, the push-point on the truck slid backwards. The truck, turning right with the front half, had the rear end break loose. I can't help but think if the truck had either held firm, or turned left, it would have minimized the right bias. MMQB, I know, but that impact point just seems to far forward to be able to pit a truck without some wrong input by the truck driver.

We can easy agree that many if not most truck drivers just think well this is a nice big car, and operate it just as if it was a regular car.

Same goes for the SUVs and what not that also have some ground clearing, ppl just ignore the much higher center of gravity and the challenges it add to the equation.

Consensus seem to be it have 4 wheels and so its a car and there is only one way to operate a car.

The question should have been: was it worth for Hyundai driver trying to catch rare Pokemon while driving like that? She needs to lose her license for minimum 6 months for reckless driving if she was using the phone in some form.

She needs to lose her license for minimum 6 months for reckless driving if she was using the phone in some form.

If she was or if she wasn't using her phone, she was driving recklessly. She should lose her licence, if she actually owns one, and be made to take lessons and sit a test again.

I guess I just don't see getting hit ahead of the read axle as being a force that should get the tail to swing that wildly. Seems to me the truck driver counteracted the impact by steering right. With the Hyundai hitting her brakes and still pushing left, the push-point on the truck slid backwards. The truck, turning right with the front half, had the rear end break loose. I can't help but think if the truck had either held firm, or turned left, it would have minimized the right bias. MMQB, I know, but that impact point just seems to far forward to be able to pit a truck without some wrong input by the truck driver.
A truck will break traction on the rear way easier than a car since there's practically zero weight back there. The 2005+ Tacoma has a composite (plastic) bed so it's even lighter than a steel one. Throw in low caster numbers (which means the vehicle won't try to correct a skid on its own if you let go of the wheel), lifted suspension (this one looked like the factory lift), tall tires with big mushy sidewalls, and mushy suspension tuned for a comfy ride... This is what you get.

My dad told me that when he had a truck in new England, he would put sand bags in the bed during winter just to have a little bit of traction when it snowed (never mind ice!)

Wife recorded this today on route to gym. Rainbows are from the CPL filter I hadn't removed yet - it's gone now.

Blue Hyundai pulls out from side street, and as most FL drivers do, she refuses to stay in her lane. She pits the truck in the center lane, causing it to roll over, over/through a fence, and onto train tracks.

The truck driver was taken to the hospital with a c-spine collar.

Why does the CPL filter cause that rainbow circle?

Why does the CPL filter cause that rainbow circle?

I have clear (UVA/B only) tint on the windshield (medical exempted). Apparently the tint has some component to it that isn't quite compatible with polarized lenses. I see it with my polarized sun glasses as well - though not nearly as distinct. I suspect the intensity has to do with how close the CPL is to the film. Also, the direction of the sun matters. When the sun is perpendicular to the direction of travel, it's the worst. I've since removed the filter.

0:54 - Wife gets out of the car and goes over to the Hyundai. Opens the driver's door and says: "Are you ok? You better be, because you're so screwed!"

:D:D:D

Hyundai driver was lucky not to get an ass-whooping. So much anger would be justified.
I'm not sure the truck driver reacted at all. Maybe he was thrown sideways and that turned the steering wheel. I can't think of any reason he would have consciously steered right.

polarity-of-light-34-728.jpg

when wearing my polarized glasses, i often see a honeycomb pattern in the back windows of cars (but not trucks). and only if they are NOT tinted. must be something similar w/ the factory UV tint.

when wearing my polarized glasses, i often see a honeycomb pattern in the back windows of cars (but not trucks). and only if they are NOT tinted. must be something similar w/ the factory UV tint.

Probably similar to when I wear my polarized sunnies. When I turn my phone to landscape I cannot see the lens to see what I am taking a photo or video of. It just becomes impossible to see the screen.

Back