Truck Set up

nrgstone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations for what to buy. Ideally I'd like something with front, rear, and if possible both sides of a 18 wheeler truck. Is there a system that would allow this? If we can keep it around $500-$800 that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

Two sets of dual channel cameras would suffice.

Where do you plan on mounting the rear and side cameras? Cable length for the secondary cam could also be an issue. I think the max is 8 meters. Standard is 5 meters.

Two sets of dual channel cameras would suffice.

Where do you plan on mounting the rear and side cameras? Cable length for the secondary cam could also be an issue. I think the max is 8 meters. Standard is 5 meters.
I drive a Freightliner Classic XL. So I was thinking near the rear fairings for the side cameras. The rear camera, was thinking somewhere in the back where the brake air lines are at.

for a camera way out back, i am not aware of any cameras that allow for such a long wire + i assume you would need to be able to unhook the wire behind the tractor if you "ditch" the trailer.
Most of the truck systems i have seen have been pro / semi pro systems where there is a camera for each mirror three filming down the sides, and then a front camera, those idiots way out back, they better keep their distance or its their ass :)

I cant think of any consumer grade system that allow for 2 waterproof cameras for outside mounting, only a select few offer waterproof outtside cameras as options to consumer systems, and these you would have to get creative mounting on say the mirror tree as they are more meant for the back of a PU or maybe a VAN / RV style vehicle.

for a camera way out back, i am not aware of any cameras that allow for such a long wire + i assume you would need to be able to unhook the wire behind the tractor if you "ditch" the trailer.
Most of the truck systems i have seen have been pro / semi pro systems where there is a camera for each mirror three filming down the sides, and then a front camera, those idiots way out back, they better keep their distance or its their ass :)

I cant think of any consumer grade system that allow for 2 waterproof cameras for outside mounting, only a select few offer waterproof outtside cameras as options to consumer systems, and these you would have to get creative mounting on say the mirror tree as they are more meant for the back of a PU or maybe a VAN / RV style vehicle.
Getting something fabricated to attach them wouldn't be out of the possibility. Could you let me know which options offer the waterproof outside cameras?

You don't swap trailers?
Box, flat, ??? Trailer?

JOINLGO on Amazon looks like they have stuff targeted towards commercial drivers.

Last edited:
Street Guardian offers a waterproof secondary cam (DCWRC323). Two dual channel sets with a secondary waterproof camera should be workable.

As Kamkar mentioned, you'd have to get creative with the mounting options.

Since the rear mounted cam also needs to be waterproof, which makes it 3. Their Dual remote option, if it works with the DCWRC323, could be an option.

I am not entirely sure the DCWR323 are compatible with the DR system, as i recall jokiin talked about making a WP camera down the road.
If there was WP cameras for the DR it would be near ideal for mirror tree install to film down the side of the truck / bus.

The cabled cameras i know off top off at fairly short ( compared to semi ) lengths, i think it is only 6 - 7 M for the really long ones, and extending them are not a option as i understand it.

Yes, probably not, if it works only with the 291.

I own my own trailer. It's a van trailer.
I'm not sure what is available, but I would lean toward a rugged, waterproof, camera that is independent of a 3 ch system you use on the tractor. This means it's not wired to a control unit in the cab, and can be run off of the trailer wiring on 12v.

Even if it was wifi enabled you probably won't be able to access the files or video 65 feet ahead of the cam in the cab. For important crap this may mean walking to the back of the trailer, downloading or checking the file via WiFi or card removal.

Since you can get creative, a motorcycle cam unit may work, or a more rugged wifi security camera, (most I have seem to run off a 12v power supply)

I've seen truckers using 99 dollar wired systems from harbor freight on trucks, but hard to imagine they hold up very well.

Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations for what to buy. Ideally I'd like something with front, rear, and if possible both sides of a 18 wheeler truck. Is there a system that would allow this? If we can keep it around $500-$800 that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

as @thomas-dash mentioned seems this is one example.

Back