Truck shunts car down the road

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Singer Ellie Goulding came to the aid of a driver being pushed sideways by a Royal Mail lorry in west London.

Footage shows a Volkswagen GTi being pushed down Western Avenue, A40, by the delivery vehicle near to the Greenford roundabout.

Ellie Goulding helps driver 'T-boned' by Royal Mail truck

The truck driver appears astonished to see the car in front of his vehicle, claiming he did not see it, or know it was there.

He can be heard yelling: "I didn't see him, I honestly didn't see him."

Hehe it have been seen a few times in Russian videos too, and i cant honestly see how a car can get to that place and the truck driver not noticing it.
He might very well not be able to see the car there, but it ending there must give at least a little shunt, and the screeching tires pushed sideways and i assume a hooting horn, should probably rise some flags for the driver.

This happened not far from where I live. Truth be told, driving standards in the UK are actually normally quite high.

This kind of incident is virtually unheard of, because no matter how pushy or aggressive UK drivers are, it normally never comes to this kind of situation.

However, that doesn’t mean we don’t have our share of psycho nutters behind the wheel in the UK.
I’d wager he DID see him, and probably decided to teach him a lesson. Either that or he was busy staring at social media on his smartphone while driving and for THAT reason, genuinely didn’t see the car.

Either way, the word NEGLIGENCE will feature strongly and repeatedly at his gross misconduct hearing! [emoji849]

I’d be surprised if that truck didn’t have a dash camera system installed that records not just the road ahead, but also what’s going on in the cabin.

If they don’t - they should - as an insurance requirement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Danish trucks must have a lot more mirrors, but most are to deal with all the cyclists here.
GARDIN1.jpg

I’d be surprised if that truck didn’t have a dash camera system installed that records not just the road ahead, but also what’s going on in the cabin.
A dashcam wouldn't have seen it either, since we don't have as many mirrors as kamkar!

My guess is that the truck stopped in a queue at some red lights, the car driver was coming out of a side road and wanted to cross the truck's lane so tried to squeeze through 1' in front of the truck, then stopped because someone jumped the red light and so was still coming from the other direction when the truck set off again. An impact after only moving 1' would not be very noticeable and the weight of the car is nothing compared to his normal load. Can't have gone very far like that since the tires still had air in them and the car driver hadn't yet thought about pressing his horn! Must have been listening to something on radio or headphones to not have heard the noise of the impact/tyres. Our tyres don't tend to squeal, not like in USA movies so probably wasn't very loud.

I've seen lots of "sideways" vid clips, and when you stop and study them you can tell that often it is not only possible but likely that the truck driver couldn't see the car from their normal driving position. This is a design fault which truck manufacturers could address, as many similar trucks have better visibility. Mirrors can help but those aren't your main focus while driving unless you expect to need what they show you. Still the other 'clues' should be enough to let the driver know something isn't quite right and that they need to be checking for what that is :cautious:

I've also seen plenty of vids from Russia and nearby where I'm certain the truck driver knew what was happening- it seems that their culture may be more tolerant of such actions so I won't judge them for that save to say that when it was the car's fault for pulling in front of the truck without clearing them I'm pretty sure those car drivers won't make the same mistake ever again :p And there's a lot of vids of cars doing just that at all speeds from nearly stopped to highway speed :eek: How they can't know the truck is in the way totally escapes me :sick:

Phil

There's a blind spot mirror on the front of the truck!

Also the truck had no load at the time, I'm suprised he didn't notice he was pushing a car sideways down the road

I can guarantee nothing will come of this except the insurance companies involved will make a ton of £££

Getting my license to drive the big rigs i was told the teacher was very loud about using your mirrors,,,,, i wouldn't know he dident have to tell me use the 2 means you have to get any rear wards situational awareness.
It was also said that for the driving test the examiner would tell you 1 time to use mirrors, 2 times and you had failed driving test,,,,,,,, i never heard nothing but directions where he wanted me to go.

Back