Truely Wireless Dash Cam

drdrive20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My first post - hope you're all well. I hope to pick your brains here.

I'm looking for a camera that records front and back of the car, without all the wirless involved. I do not have any expertise in wiring so want to stay clear from that and hate the wires hanging from your car look.

Is there any camera (or 2 cameras) that allow you to record without being charged to a port? Maybe run of battery? I just don't want wires.

Thank you. Appreciate your help!

Andy

Many cams are battery-powered, but it's not meant to be used for longer times such as you usually need when driving. And almost all cams are 'plug-and-play' simple so since you're online you've done as much already and a dashcam will be easy for you.

Phil

What kind of car do you want to put the cams in?
Sometimes the install/wiring is much easier than you think.

My first post...
Welcome to DCT. if you're determined to avoid wires then consider cameras like the SJCAM M10. It can record for up to 2 hours using its internal battery. The battery can be swapped in seconds, so carry spare batteries if your round trips exceed 2 hours.

image.jpg

Welcome to the forum Andy :)
Thanks Gabacho :)

What kind of car do you want to put the cams in?
Sometimes the install/wiring is much easier than you think.
Dash, I have a right hand drive 2011 BMW 520d. I guess if the wireless solution isn't for long term use, is it easy to install wiring myself or will I want a mechanic to do that for me?

Welcome to DCT. if you're determined to avoid wires then consider cameras like the SJCAM M10. It can record for up to 2 hours using its internal battery. The battery can be swapped in seconds, so carry spare batteries if your round trips exceed 2 hours.

View attachment 17831
Thanks Russ.

Thank you for the help peeps!

What I'm trying to do is basically install a camera at the front and one at the back, but I want it to look sleek with as little wires hanging as possible. Hope that makes sense :)

Just use two separate dashcams for front and back.
If you have 12v out in the back, much better otherwise just tap into one of the lights for power.
You have to have power cable and that's easy to hide around the headliners.

Just use two separate dashcams for front and back.
If you have 12v out in the back, much better otherwise just tap into one of the lights for power.
You have to have power cable and that's easy to hide around the headliners.
Thanks Sunny. And how would the wiring be held up in the headliners? I don't want to drill into it so is there some kind of sticky tape solution that matches the interior colour?

No stickies, just tuck wire inside the headliner.

201508261707102554.jpg

201508261707102747.jpg

That's great Sunny. Thank you for the help!

Next question: Which HD dash cam can you recommend? I need good day and night video quality and need a way to automatically transfer the data to cloud (if possible).

I'm not aware of any dashcam that can auto transfer data.

For night, get something with Sony sensor or at least Ambarella based.

For test video clips and review, check my threads and see which one looks better.

http://www.lyfelens.com/ purports to be able to do so but it might prove to be the dashcam equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes what with lots of bait and prepayments but no actual reviews of hardware to date :)

there's some existing Korean product that can do it also but it's somewhat limited in functionality, have seen no reports of how well it does or doesn't work either

Back