Trying to decide what camera to get

Nathan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been trying to decide what dashcam to get and don't know which one to get. I am looking for one that has good night quality, because most video would be recorded when it's dark. Wifi and GPS would be a great options but definitely not needed. Another big thing I'd like is how discrete it is. I really like the design/form of the BlackVue DR500GW-HD, but the reliability makes me nervous, from what I've read.
I've also been looking at the Lukas LK-7900, because I like the design, and the quality seemed good from the videos I've watched.
I've also looked at the DOD LS300W, but it seems like that camera is on the bigger side, but the quality looks great.

What camera do you guys suggest I get? The price is not that big of a deal.

Check out the Powerucc Panorama 2 and the for excellent video quality, you can't beat the Vicovation TF2+. I would also wait because @jokiin Guardtrak models are coming soon and are sure to impress

For discreetness you can't beat the Mobius, it's quite the amazing little camera.

Last edited:
At the moment you may chose between 3 prooven good reliable dashcams in this forum: Lukas-7900 ( 7500 ), Vico TF2+ or Panorama II. Just go trough their sub-forums compare designs, specs, options, functions and see which one you like best for yourself.

Maybe I am spoiled my needs after having "tons" of dashcams, but for future purchases I will not look for dashcams which are below GT7S specs after they will be released. Of course they will be much pricier, but you get what you pay ;)

I was impressed by the video quality from the Mobius, for such a small camera. I still like the Lukas-7900, might end up going with that.

I was impressed by the video quality from the Mobius, for such a small camera. I still like the Lukas-7900, might end up going with that.

Me also do respect Mobius. I think if have enough time to play around with settings that latest v.1.13 FW allows, then I could get nearly same ( ca. 90% ) video result as Lukas, Vico or Pano2. I liked default tuned settings on v.059 FW more that v.1.13, but if play around with new FW, then can get much better result. Mobius as it's stands now with all options I value it more that it cost.

I really like the size of the Mobius, but the night quality didn't look as great as some of the others.

I really like the size of the Mobius, but the night quality didn't look as great as some of the others.

Which "others" do you mean ?

Can you hardwire the Mobius? I see it has a USB connection, so I'm curious if there is hardwire options?

Yes, all can be

See niko's video comparison of Mobius A & B & DOD LS300W...

niko posted it somewhere on this site, with still pics & links to raw video, etc, but I cannot find his post.

Mobius B night quality looks as good as the DOD, though it can be bettered by some much more expensive dashcams, e.g. Panorama II.

Last edited:
Does it come with a hardwire kit? Or do I need to make my own?

None, that I know of, come with a hardwire kit included. Depending on you how you decide to hardwire it, that could be very inexpensive.

I know with the cigarette lighter adapter you can just cut the adapter off and use them wires, would it be the same idea with the USB connection?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
None, that I know of, come with a hardwire kit included. Depending on you how you decide to hardwire it, that could be very inexpensive.

Except perhaps Jokiin's soon to be released GT2S :)

Just bought this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00H9TS5HU
Thanks for the help. I really like the size of the Mobius, I'll just have to figure out a way to hardwire it.
Congrats, it's a great little camera. Enjoy it.
Novotm is a great authorized seller who has high scores for customer service. BTW if you write him and ask, I know he will swap the suction cup mount for the adhesive mount.
Check out the RC forums as well, it's a great resource for this camera. Especially posts #1-8
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

Last edited:
Back