Turning camera Off (simulating power button) by Wi-Fi API?

Some people argue this causes heat issues, well never had one with Thinkware or Blackvue. Viofo my A139 is 2CH anyways so should not be a problem. At least Viofo should have an option with a warning, leaving the choice of Wi-Fi Auto On on the user, rather than eliminate it altogether.

So basically, doesn't have to be a Pi, you can legit have a small useless Android phone running, and use Tasker or any automation app on anything lol! :D Even on windows or even linux NAS' with terminal.

1. This is the issue. My method is ready, but its currently not live. Because Viofo never has Auto WiFi ON or station mode in parking mode (like Thinkware & Blackvue), I cannot connect automatically. This is one thing I am hoping they fix down the line. So as for now, i manually have to press the wifi button before I leave the car after parking and then my Pi pings that IP every 3 minutes. So it'll ping it, and it'll say "Oh hey, the a139 is reachable, it must be back, let's proceed".

Did Viofo fix the Wifi / Station Mode disabling upon entering parking mode in a newer firmware (1.6?). As on 1.2, Wifi / Station Mode disable immediately after car enters Parking mode.

2. I just transfer it all locally (its only event/locked videos, so ends up around 200MB max per day, sometimes even 100MB). So giving an example for my thinkware, whenever my 24/7 pi server, is able to ping the camera (be it thinkware/viofo/blackvue), it will know hey it's online. Then the script continues by just getting the list of files in event folder, checks each file and downloads the file that has not been downloaded. That's all it is. All LAN transfer, no WAN.

So you aren't having this process initiate unless the pie connects to your home wifi? This process won't occur via WAN since you lack a hotspot to provide internet any other time except when you're home. Correct?

3. Exactly what it should be. See currently, Wi-Fi turns OFF after entering parking mode (bummer). But if we manually turn it on, if its inactive for 5 minutes, wifi auto turns off. Perfect. I suggested that, maybe just like Thinkware/Blackvue, upon parking mode, just DO NOT turn off wifi. Wait for 5 minutes, if no connection, turn it off, if something is connected, then just leave it until it disconnects then 5 mins after wifi off. Simple.

Glad I could help and make a useful suggestion. This is what I suspected was your end goal.

This is damn easy to implement in the firmware it can literally be like (in pseudocode);

"If parking mode = true, setWifi=True. Wait 5 minutes, if connection established, wait for disconnection, else turn wifi off".

Roughly 5-10 lines of code only. This way, battery is saved and all things are established! Yeah I am just hoping & waiting for Viofo to enable station mode in parking mode OR at least have Wi-Fi auto turn on in parking mode, so I can start my script. I made my script, its all ready to go LOL, just needs wifi. I tested it with manually turning wifi on, but now to make it automatic, need Viofo XD. Same idea / same script I use for my blackvue. Works flawlessly.

How were you able to manually turn on wifi in parking mode for the A139? I'm curious, since upon entering parking mode, the camera is set to shut off Wifi / Station Mode.

Also for the turning off camera part, that's exactly what the solution is. If the CMD worked properly, in a perfect world, I would automatically connect to camera (hoping Viofo makes auto wifi on someday), then I download my stuff. Then once down, Pi can just send a cmd to turn camera off (boom! power save!). Then next time car ignition turns on, camera is back on (this happens, but powering off remotely is the problem). And this way, if I park for example in a mall, it will never shutdown (wifi will shutdown after 5 minutes, but camera is still on) because my pi isn't there to send a Power Off CMD :p Idea is perfect.

Sounds like a perfect idea. If Viofo resolves the issue and everything goes as planned, I might pick your brain on implementing a similar setup. As a temporary and know another user that would 100% want this to work, too.

On the 3 Channel, heat shouldn't be an issue if this process is only taking place short term.

Downside, if you had a hotspot powering wifi, then of course the camera's wifi would never disable, and heat would become a problem. Especially on the 3 channel.

Did Viofo fix the Wifi / Station Mode disabling upon entering parking mode in a newer firmware (1.6?). As on 1.2, Wifi / Station Mode disable immediately after car enters Parking mode.
Nope did not. Absolutely pissed at them for this.
So you aren't having this process initiate unless the pie connects to your home wifi? This process won't occur via WAN since you lack a hotspot to provide internet any other time except when you're home. Correct?
Yeah. This isn't a 4G / automatic on the spot backup. In Australia, Mobile Broadband is expensive as hell, so I could never even backup any videos via 4G. This only works when my car comes home and detects the camera is on the LAN (station mode) or the Camera's Wifi AP is in range. I would love on the spot backups but this wont be happening in Australia for at least next 10 years. Something like in India, this is possible where data is cheapest in the world lol.

How were you able to manually turn on wifi in parking mode for the A139? I'm curious, since upon entering parking mode, the camera is set to shut off Wifi / Station Mode.
Within the v1.6 beta, once in parking mode, you can manually press the Wi-Fi Button (after parking mode turns it off) and wifi AP is back on again. Station mode is not working no matter what in parking mode (which would be the best if it did). I did find a hack to make this station mode work in parking mode but again it needs button pressing. So first in parking mode, enable wifi AP normally by pressing Wifi button. Then in the Novatek Wifi API, there is a CMD to switch WiFi mode from Ap to Station mode. Send that (because you can connect as a client to the Camera's AP) then it'll switch and go into station mode in parking mode. This means thats its possible, but what the Viofo's firmware does is, they have a COMMAND set in the firmware, then whenever parking mode is on, turn all wifi off (unless button presses turn it back on). This is the command I want Viofo to stop putting in. And their replies are extremely unhelpful which means I will probably end up selling this Viofo and get another Thinkware/Blackvue instead. Quality is awesome for Viofo, for half the price, but a simple software is ruining it for me. Or I rather make a DIY hack to install a circuit to auto press wifi button upon parking mode.

Nope did not. Absolutely pissed at them for this.

Yeah. This isn't a 4G / automatic on the spot backup. In Australia, Mobile Broadband is expensive as hell, so I could never even backup any videos via 4G. This only works when my car comes home and detects the camera is on the LAN (station mode) or the Camera's Wifi AP is in range. I would love on the spot backups but this wont be happening in Australia for at least next 10 years. Something like in India, this is possible where data is cheapest in the world lol.

I know one limitation I encountered in my testing is outside internet access. A cell phone would have to be rooted in order to allow inbound connections via a 3/4/5g hotspot. Or you'd need a Sim Card Router that permits port forwarding.

I attempted to connect my Camera to my Phone's Hotspot (not rooted) and then setup a VPN on a home computer. I connected the phone to the home VPN and then attempted to access the camera. Unfortunately, the Phone's Hotspot and Phone's internet work separate unless rooted.
Within the v1.6 beta, once in parking mode, you can manually press the Wi-Fi Button (after parking mode turns it off) and wifi AP is back on again. Station mode is not working no matter what in parking mode (which would be the best if it did). I did find a hack to make this station mode work in parking mode but again it needs button pressing. So first in parking mode, enable wifi AP normally by pressing Wifi button. Then in the Novatek Wifi API, there is a CMD to switch WiFi mode from Ap to Station mode. Send that (because you can connect as a client to the Camera's AP) then it'll switch and go into station mode in parking mode. This means thats its possible, but what the Viofo's firmware does is, they have a COMMAND set in the firmware, then whenever parking mode is on, turn all wifi off (unless button presses turn it back on). This is the command I want Viofo to stop putting in. And their replies are extremely unhelpful which means I will probably end up selling this Viofo and get another Thinkware/Blackvue instead. Quality is awesome for Viofo, for half the price, but a simple software is ruining it for me. Or I rather make a DIY hack to install a circuit to auto press wifi button upon parking mode.

Explain this to them in simple English. @jokiin cued me in and you don't want to make things complicated. The Chinese have very limited English Skills and often use translators. And a lot gets lost in translation.

I suggest you send a simple message.

Please make a firmware available to keep Wifi and Station Mode on automatically for Parking Mode. Change X Command to X Command in firmware to fix. Thank you.

This is what I sent to them. I am not sure how I am able to get more clearer than this to them haha. It's literally step by step for their engineers.

1628910543780.png

And then they said they can do this only for me lol (custom firmware) and not for everyone AND it will happen NEXT YEAR lol, when this process takes around 5 minutes of code. Despite, I hate it if its a custom just for me because if theres an update in the future for public, my custom version cannot be updated or the custom features are gone lol. Should be for everyone.

Last edited:
This is what I sent to them. I am not sure how I am able to get more clearer than this to them haha. It's literally step by step for their engineers.

View attachment 57744

And then they said they can do this only for me lol (custom firmware) and not for everyone AND it will happen NEXT YEAR lol, when this process takes around 5 minutes of code. Despite, I hate it if its a custom just for me because if theres an update in the future for public, my custom version cannot be updated or the custom features are gone lol. Should be for everyone.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to complicated. You need to use Baby Talk. It sounds condescending but it works. Literally keep it like a few sentences. The more you write, the more they get confused.

Please make a firmware available to keep Wifi and Station Mode on automatically for Parking Mode. Change X Command to X Command in firmware to fix. Thank you.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to complicated. You need to use Baby Talk. It sounds condescending but it works. Literally keep it like a few sentences. The more you write, the more they get confused.

Haha you do it, might listen more if more people ask them.

I tried. Nothing complicated, demanded nothing, just simple questions and whether are some things possible. Plus some issue observations feedback.

They stopped responding to me. :ROFLMAO::cry:

Haha you do it, might listen more if more people ask them.

Just write exactly what I told you. With the only addition being the command needed. I have a background in information technology but ZERO PATIENCE for code. So by no means am I a software developer. You need to insert the commands into the bolded areas.

Please make a firmware available to keep Wifi and Station Mode on automatically for Parking Mode. Change X Command to X Command in firmware to fix. Set Wifi and Station mode to turn off if no connection made after 5 Minutes. Command to change setting is X Command.

You need to Baby Talk them. I had same problem. I wanted long explanation and they got confused. Keep it very basic and simple. No more than 2 or 3 sentences. Very simple English. It 100% works.

Last edited:
I tried. Nothing complicated, demanded nothing, just simple questions and whether are some things possible. Plus some issue observations feedback.

They stopped responding to me. :ROFLMAO::cry:

I've gotten tons of replies from them on the overheating and file corruption problem. Heck, they sent me all new cables (which I'd asked for) alongside a free hardwire kit for reasons I don't know.

So while the camera seems very stable now with the wire configuration I'm using (crossed wires, mounted camera first, then inserted the wires to their proper coax port), I have spares on hand. Which is good considering all testing I did removing cables, checking heat, etc in the event I do have a cable failure.

Results can be had, you just have to make your explanation soooooooooooooooooooo damn simple it almost feels like you're being rude.

I just PM Viofo-Support here on the forum lol.
I emailed official support once, they just replied "Not possible" lol

Well I can't answer the question, but is it possible to set a disconnect and turn off command on wifi if no connection is present? I'm asking as you're the software developer and I have zero clue the answer.

Totally possible. It happens right now anyways. So currently, in 1.6 beta, you can turn on Wi-Fi in normal mode OR either in parking mode, only thing is it requires manual pressing of the wifi button for 3 seconds to do so.
If no connection is made, it is automatically turned off. Not sure how many minutes but I think it was roughly 3-5-7 minutes. Didnt time it.

All we need is wi-fi to turn on automatically in parking mode, then repeat the behaviour above if no connection is made. That's what thinkware and blackvue do so anyways. Literally. Currently if we have wifi on, and go into parking mode, firmware turns it off yeah? Im sure you're aware. So as far as I can think, mostly Viofo purposely added this command (psuedocode);

function enableParkingMode() {
setWifi("off");
.... bla bla bla other commands
}

For example if they remove that wifi command, problem solved. (By no means it is exactly how to do it lol, it is an estimate. Obviously looking at their code I can tell them exactly lol.

Totally possible. It happens right now anyways. So currently, in 1.6 beta, you can turn on Wi-Fi in normal mode OR either in parking mode, only thing is it requires manual pressing of the wifi button for 3 seconds to do so.
If no connection is made, it is automatically turned off. Not sure how many minutes but I think it was roughly 3-5-7 minutes. Didnt time it.

All we need is wi-fi to turn on automatically in parking mode, then repeat the behaviour above if no connection is made. That's what thinkware and blackvue do so anyways. Literally. Currently if we have wifi on, and go into parking mode, firmware turns it off yeah? Im sure you're aware. So as far as I can think, mostly Viofo purposely added this command (psuedocode);

function enableParkingMode() {
setWifi("off");
.... bla bla bla other commands
}

For example if they remove that wifi command, problem solved. (By no means it is exactly how to do it lol, it is an estimate. Obviously looking at their code I can tell them exactly lol.

Can you decompile the firmware and analyze their code? If you can give them the exact commands needed, you might have better luck getting results. It's not that the Chinese are "unintelligent" by any means. It's the language barrier that makes communicating what you need and what they understand you needing as being very difficult.

Can you decompile the firmware and analyze their code? If you can give them the exact commands needed, you might have better luck getting results. It's not that the Chinese are "unintelligent" by any means. It's the language barrier that makes communicating what you need and what they understand you needing as being very difficult.
Nope.
Firmwares like those .bin are not possible to decompile. 99.99% of the time. Otherwise anyone can start decompiling windows OS and make it open source too

It will need to be edited directly via hexa decimal editors but even those you cannot modify too much else device is bricked.
Only Viofo can or either they make their firmware open source (which I don't see happening).
So they should fix it.

Nope.
Firmwares like those .bin are not possible to decompile. 99.99% of the time. Otherwise anyone can start decompiling windows OS and make it open source too

It will need to be edited directly via hexa decimal editors but even those you cannot modify too much else device is bricked.
Only Viofo can or either they make their firmware open source (which I don't see happening).
So they should fix it.

Bummer. So you really can't give them specific guidance. Not sure what to say other than email back with "suggested" code changes.

Back